THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT RADARS.

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
xsijux
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:Aston Martin DB9

Post by xsijux » 18 Oct 2011, 11:19 pm

o hi guys. i heard you like going 100.

Ozimandius
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Mazda Miata MX-5 NA

Post by Ozimandius » 19 Oct 2011, 8:09 am

LOL! I only do 80 in Airport Tunnel when I'm in the slowest lane, I never hog!

wek-236
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:s2k and Mazda 3

Post by wek-236 » 19 Oct 2011, 8:25 am

xsijux wrote:
it will flash only @ 161kph. this is my everyday route. and i pass the radar @ 155kph no flashes.

not sure after passing sharjah though.. but from Jebel ali to al ghusais.. up to 159kph no flashes
Are you talking about the road that goes through National Paints roundabout, passes Tasjeel etc.? Because thats the road i'm talking about and i have got flashed at 141 there. Or are you talking about the road which has 2 radars right next to each other, aimed at either side of the road?

LOL!

I Just qouted the wrong phrase. was referring to Jebel ali to Al ghusais Exit. (Y)

real_ashwin
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Nissan Altima 2008 SE

Post by real_ashwin » 19 Oct 2011, 11:05 am

i need a vinyl on my front windsheild that says "MOVE B*ATCH" (backwards so it appears correctly when the car ahead sees it)

zeemmee
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:03Patrol_09Pajero3.0v6swb[late]

Post by zeemmee » 19 Oct 2011, 3:44 pm

real_ashwin wrote:i need a vinyl on my front windsheild that says "MOVE B*ATCH" (backwards so it appears correctly when the car ahead sees it)
(Y) (Y) (Y) i need One too.

zeemmee
UB Dedicated Member

Post by zeemmee » 19 Oct 2011, 3:56 pm

TNT wrote:I know that's a great feeling ^ :grin:

Never knew Jumeirah was 90 :| You've tried siju?
I feel on top of the world (Y) (Y) (Y)

I have been doing abu dhabi - dxb daily up down since 2 years, haven't been on the forum for quite a while.But yes I did learn about the radars quite long time back late 2009 i guess :roll: & the hard way :( .

Since then I have overtaken many a confused dickhead slamming brakes on the wrong side of the radar.Many times i have seen people honking at me as i overtake them & conquer them supremely, gracefully pass the back side of radar with out a flash :grin: Itell my self at that time "I know what u donno"

As of today 19 october 2011 on sheik zayed road between 1 st interchange & fairmont comming from abu dhabi there is only one radar right after you cross the first interchange period, so dont dont clog the lane .Some fool decided to point them all one side :grin:

THUGZ
UB Addicted Member
Vehicle:2005 Toyota Corolla

Post by THUGZ » 19 Oct 2011, 10:14 pm

Update :
- somewhere before Mall of the Emirates , there' s a sniper dude on top of the bridge during morning hours on SZR heading from dubai to auh . He hides near the big signboard. I dont remeber exactly which bridge but I seen him every morning from 6-8 AM(even saturdays) spying on us 8-)

- Right after you get in Dubai - Al Ain highway from business bay , the first radar near emarath gas station (Abu qadra) hits only after 120 (but the board says 80kmph) 8-) I pass through it flying like a G6 while others slam brake :!:

- Right after you pass through dnata signal moving towards Airport terminal 1 road- rashidiya , the first radar hits at 80 and not 100 , many people dont notice the sign board and thinks the whole road is 100kmph and gets jacked ! :S

- Radars from Sheikh Zayed University (Academic city ) - BITS PILANI signal , dont work ( they are dummies) 8-) but the opposite side ones works clean (Y)

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 19 Oct 2011, 11:05 pm

THUGZ wrote:- Right after you pass through dnata signal moving towards Airport terminal 1 road- rashidiya , the first radar hits at 80 and not 100 , many people dont notice the sign board and thinks the whole road is 100kmph and gets jacked ! :S
BS, I use that road every day.

xsijux
UB Junior Member

Post by xsijux » 20 Oct 2011, 12:46 am

Some fool decided to point them all one side
Like i mentioned in my earlier post, the first 2 radars as you enter SHZ rd. both point in the same direction. So just be careful when you are headed Dubai-to-AD direction :grin:
Since then I have overtaken many a confused dickhead slamming brakes on the wrong side of the radar.Many times i have seen people honking at me as i overtake them & conquer them supremely, gracefully pass the back side of radar with out a flash Itell my self at that time "I know what u donno"
Gotta love that feeling :grin: :!:
Right after you pass through dnata signal moving towards Airport terminal 1 road- rashidiya , the first radar hits at 80 and not 100 , many people dont notice the sign board and thinks the whole road is 100kmph and gets jacked !
Flashes after 100. Its my daily work-to-home route.

(no radar in Dubai flashes below 100 :roll: )
Last edited by xsijux on 20 Oct 2011, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

xsijux
UB Junior Member

Post by xsijux » 20 Oct 2011, 1:06 am

For those of you that don't already know:

The little white rectangular boxes you've been seeing lately, mounted on police cars, are not mini-radars like most people first thought. They are in fact tiny powerful computers with a nifty camera that reads a car's number plate. It gives the pigs a fast report of every car it is in range of. Model/make of the car, Registration date, Expiry date, Number of black points on the plate, Number of fines on the plate - with details, Number of fines the plate ever had - with details, Name of the car owner, Number of black points on the owner's license, basically everything shy of which hand you wipe your %#%$ with.

Though it is mainly used for quick noting of expired registrations. If you see one of them cruising along, and you have an expired plate, steer clear of them. I think they ignore you if you are on your grace period, but i don't advice you to gamble. And if you have been a bad boy in the past, they will pretty much stop you for anything from window tint to the way you change the track on your cd player.

When someone is caught by it for any reason, there is a tiny flash (though i don't understand why there is any need to store a picture)

Source: A friend who drives one of them.

Ozimandius
UB Super Member

Post by Ozimandius » 20 Oct 2011, 7:57 am

Wait wait, my reg expires on the 25th, but I don't plan to renew until the 27th, as my insurance is still valid for an extra month after registration. So if my registration is expired for, let's say, 2 weeks (but still insured), will they catch me?

Matt
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:97 Wrx + 07 Wrx

Post by Matt » 20 Oct 2011, 8:51 am

nope Ozi, you have a 4 week grace period to renew the insurance and registration as you're still insured to drive on the road

zeemmee
UB Dedicated Member

Post by zeemmee » 20 Oct 2011, 9:34 am

Lets make it our UB Golden Rule 1 (which i currently practise :grin: :grin: :grin: )
1.IF we see :smile: some radar Chum on any side of any road put the HAZARD LIGHTS on! & yes firstly slam your brakes :grin:

Lets help our fellow drivers. keep adding other rules (Y) to the list!

wek-236
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:s2k and Mazda 3

Post by wek-236 » 20 Oct 2011, 11:16 am

Matt wrote:nope Ozi, you have a 4 week grace period to renew the insurance and registration as you're still insured to drive on the road

yep he is still insured for an extra month. but Ozi have to pay penalty of 50dhs i think for late registration. :mrgreen:

Ozimandius
UB Super Member

Post by Ozimandius » 20 Oct 2011, 12:58 pm

I've ALWAYS registered late but within the insured period. Argh. And now the testing fees have gone up to AED 120 too!