wheels magazine (december 31, 2010 issue)

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
sharky
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:2006 Honda Civic

Post by sharky » 11 Jan 2011, 12:55 am

RasHooD wrote:^Parts are available all over the world, and sold for different purposes. It is not tagged as 'road legal' is it? People use parts and modify cars for off-road/desert/track purposes and you cannot fret about fines if those parts are available. BTW, drugs are available too and not everyone do 'em and the same goes for alcohol that its available and allowed and you cannot blame them if you are caught driving with it. Would you rather have the rules be stricter for sales if you were to build a non road legal car for your own use and other purposes?
well, i'm not building a race car out of my car. and what's so harmful about a pair of aftermarket bulbs? do light bulbs kill?

AccordTuner
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Lexus LS460

Post by AccordTuner » 11 Jan 2011, 2:51 am

sharky wrote:
RasHooD wrote:^Parts are available all over the world, and sold for different purposes. It is not tagged as 'road legal' is it? People use parts and modify cars for off-road/desert/track purposes and you cannot fret about fines if those parts are available. BTW, drugs are available too and not everyone do 'em and the same goes for alcohol that its available and allowed and you cannot blame them if you are caught driving with it. Would you rather have the rules be stricter for sales if you were to build a non road legal car for your own use and other purposes?
well, i'm not building a race car out of my car. and what's so harmful about a pair of aftermarket bulbs? do light bulbs kill?
lol who knows might cause a blinding effect to the driver in front of you and he my crash and die :razz:

have you seen when some times if you flash with xenon's in high beam the driver in front of you some times get's dazzaled or just doesnt know what to do

i support wat rashood has said (Y)
it personal choice to go for somethign which is wrong or right ... no one can stop you from doing wrong
its you who has to to decide that ....

plus if u break a law then why cry about it all over it was your mistake obivously as you chnged the bulbs why blame the police ? or the shops who sell em ?

Matt
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:97 Wrx + 07 Wrx

Post by Matt » 11 Jan 2011, 4:34 am

have you seen some of the patrols/LC's/altima/accords with those 10000K or more bulbs?? they blind the shit of me! :mrgreen:

Stuff like this

sharky
UB Advanced Member

Post by sharky » 11 Jan 2011, 5:05 am

Matt wrote:have you seen some of the patrols/LC's/altima/accords with those 10000K or more bulbs?? they blind the shit of me! :mrgreen:

Stuff like this
perhaps they left their high beams on?

Matt
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:97 Wrx + 07 Wrx

Post by Matt » 11 Jan 2011, 5:13 am

they aren't the high beams, they are the driving lights. Lots of them just put them in the fogs and just turn those on

sharky
UB Advanced Member

Post by sharky » 11 Jan 2011, 7:25 am

Matt wrote:they aren't the high beams, they are the driving lights. Lots of them just put them in the fogs and just turn those on
hmmm...
anyway, i went back to Yellow Hat and had my stock lights re-installed... to avoid trouble.
and i paid the fine with my girlfriend's credit card so i won't have to worry about being frowned at at the shj police station... for now.

Accord98
Vehicle:Toyoda

Post by Accord98 » 11 Jan 2011, 11:35 am

LOL, you made your girlfriend pay? :happy:

Thats what women are for eh? ahahah :happy: :happy: :grin:

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 11 Jan 2011, 12:18 pm

Matt wrote:Lots of them just put them in the fogs and just turn those on
I f*cking hate those FAGS!

AccordTuner
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Lexus LS460

Post by AccordTuner » 11 Jan 2011, 12:58 pm

Accord98 wrote:LOL, you made your girlfriend pay? :happy:

yes some girls are just like ATM ;)

sharky
UB Advanced Member

Post by sharky » 11 Jan 2011, 9:06 pm

i paid her back, of course. 500 instead of 200. i don't have a credit card.

sharky
UB Advanced Member

Post by sharky » 11 Jan 2011, 9:07 pm

AccordTuner wrote:

yes some girls are just like ATM ;)
nah. only for this situation. when i paid her back, i gave her 500 instead of 200.

say. do the police sites accept debit cards as well?

real_ashwin
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Nissan Altima 2008 SE

Post by real_ashwin » 12 Jan 2011, 12:13 pm

sharky wrote:for those of you who were not about to read my letter to wheels, here it is. i know it's a little late though.

---
while driving around in shj industrial area recently, i was surprised to be pulled over by the police who asked me if my headlight bulbs were original. i told them that they had been purchased from an aftermarket parts dealer. my new bulbs were white, at a moderate 6700k brightness. i couldn't afford the pricey HID conversion kit and decided to stick with a bulb replacement instead.
i was surprised to be told these bulbs were illegal and got a fine of dh200. i am not interested in having an argument with government officials, which brings my query to your pages.
how do aftermarket parts stores get to sell illegal parts in the UAE? surely larger, more reputed shops, would need to go through customs authorities before receiving parts to sell? would the policemen have been more lenient to me had they known that i had purchased the bulbs from such a store?
in retrospect, i fear i was in the wrong place at the wrong time. i usually visit more reputable stores for my car parts needs, but sadly driving down the streets of shj may have been my undoing. perhaps the police thought i picked up a counterfeit set of bulbs, illegally sold by a dodgy parts dealer?
anyway, it was a lesson learnt. money saved is easily lost on fines.
---
btw 6700K is not white...5K is white anything over is more blueish purple.

RasHooD
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo

Post by RasHooD » 12 Jan 2011, 9:56 pm

White is actually 4300K or so, which is what the stock xenon bulbs are from most manufacturers.

sharky
UB Advanced Member

Post by sharky » 13 Jan 2011, 11:55 pm

real_ashwin wrote:
sharky wrote:for those of you who were not about to read my letter to wheels, here it is. i know it's a little late though.

---
while driving around in shj industrial area recently, i was surprised to be pulled over by the police who asked me if my headlight bulbs were original. i told them that they had been purchased from an aftermarket parts dealer. my new bulbs were white, at a moderate 6700k brightness. i couldn't afford the pricey HID conversion kit and decided to stick with a bulb replacement instead.
i was surprised to be told these bulbs were illegal and got a fine of dh200. i am not interested in having an argument with government officials, which brings my query to your pages.
how do aftermarket parts stores get to sell illegal parts in the UAE? surely larger, more reputed shops, would need to go through customs authorities before receiving parts to sell? would the policemen have been more lenient to me had they known that i had purchased the bulbs from such a store?
in retrospect, i fear i was in the wrong place at the wrong time. i usually visit more reputable stores for my car parts needs, but sadly driving down the streets of shj may have been my undoing. perhaps the police thought i picked up a counterfeit set of bulbs, illegally sold by a dodgy parts dealer?
anyway, it was a lesson learnt. money saved is easily lost on fines.
---
btw 6700K is not white...5K is white anything over is more blueish purple.
hmmm. i guess my friend at Yellow Hat was mistaken when he helped in composing this letter.

sharky
UB Advanced Member

Post by sharky » 17 Jan 2011, 1:18 am

sorry to keep you guys waiting.
anyway, here's a photo of the watch i won. =)