Buying a car in the UAE the need to knows?

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
WKZ
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:EP82 Starlet+Jeep Wrangler

Post by WKZ » 06 Jun 2011, 9:36 pm

Get an EVO,Supra,Skyline or any tuner and you won't be hassled for minor mods.They might pull you over frequent but keep a stock looking bay and you're good to go.Get a M3(post E36) or a 996 and I don't think you'll ever get pulled over.
Matt wrote:g'day mate! (sorry had to do it!) :grin: Well on my WRX i've got a full 3" downpipe to full 3 inch system BUT i've got a Varex muffler on it, you've probably heard of the company who makes them as they're Australian aswell - X-force. It's got a remote control butterfly valve in it that cuts all the noise when you want to be civil and acts like a straight through exhaust when open

NOT my car but you get the Idea, when closed it just sounds like a corrolla reving
Varex (Y)
Apexi ECV does the same but has to be installed onto your existing exhaust.Its a bit overpriced considering the complexity of the design.I have been wanting to do a DIY from a long time now,have to look for a 2.5'' valve from the throttle body of a small engine and 3-4 metres of throttle cable to reach the dash!

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 06 Jun 2011, 10:55 pm

WKZ wrote:Get an EVO,Supra,Skyline or any tuner and you won't be hassled for minor mods.They might pull you over frequent but keep a stock looking bay and you're good to go.Get a M3(post E36) or a 996 and I don't think you'll ever get pulled over.
Matt wrote:g'day mate! (sorry had to do it!) :grin: Well on my WRX i've got a full 3" downpipe to full 3 inch system BUT i've got a Varex muffler on it, you've probably heard of the company who makes them as they're Australian aswell - X-force. It's got a remote control butterfly valve in it that cuts all the noise when you want to be civil and acts like a straight through exhaust when open

NOT my car but you get the Idea, when closed it just sounds like a corrolla reving
Varex (Y)
Apexi ECV does the same but has to be installed onto your existing exhaust.Its a bit overpriced considering the complexity of the design.I have been wanting to do a DIY from a long time now,have to look for a 2.5'' valve from the throttle body of a small engine and 3-4 metres of throttle cable to reach the dash!
hmmm have always wanted an sr or 1jz e30....

Matt
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:97 Wrx + 07 Wrx

Post by Matt » 07 Jun 2011, 8:37 am

if you do the 1jz e30 you'll have to register it as a BMW 320 or whatever then swap the engines over to the 1jz. Drive it for a year then when the car needs re-registering swap back in a BMW engine to pass the registration

they only pass cars with matching engines - Honda civic with honda engine etc

There are some ways around it, like you can take a gs300 and drop a 2jz gte in it - Toyota car with toyota engine, same with the soarers AND they are original LHD car so you can register them in Dubai