how to: register and insure?

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
JDM<3
UB Junior Member

Post by JDM<3 » 20 Dec 2011, 5:18 am

Hello

I'm new to the area, just getting my license converted from Canadian to UAE. Can someone please explain the process of purchasing a car here? Do you have to go to some business/office to transfer ownership, do you need insurance to transfer ownership, do you need a license to transfer ownership (some places you can buy a car and have it in your name without either, but to get valid stickers for your plates you need both), also what's the best insurance for young drivers? Pricewise etc

Thanks for your time!
Steve

7afe
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Lexus SC 300 5 SPD

Post by 7afe » 20 Dec 2011, 12:41 pm

Look for a car in the newspapers, websites, magazines,etc contact the seller, go see the car, negotiate and if you think price is good then get ready to buy it. I guess its the same process everywhere around the globe. :grin:
Getting the car on your name will be done in the place where you register your car i.e from the place where you get your tags or number plates in UAE terms. Insurance wise depends on the car you are buying i mean the value etc. Insurance isnt that expensive in UAE, just depends on the car really.
Few things about cars insurance
Paid once for the whole year, you will hardly see any monthly plans on cars insurance.
You will probably not get full coverage on a car that is 5+ years old , i can not confirm on the age of the car, but its somewhere there.
Liability is called 3rd party insurance here, thats what you will probably get if you are buying an older car. Liability is also cheaper than full coverage.
Yes, you need to have a drivers license to own a car here.
You also need to get your insurance before getting the tags.
The place where you register and get your car tested is called TASJEEEL.
I would suggest you to get your car passed through a test in the place where they register your car before handing over the money to the previous owner. If your car fails the test, it cannot be registered.
You will also find insurance companies in tasjeel, so dont worry if you go unplanned.
GOOD LUCK!

kiangr
UB Junior Member

Post by kiangr » 11 Feb 2012, 1:52 pm

Really finding best insurance from insurance companies will take money and time.but i saw there is a web site in uae for compare all car insurance "insurance comparison uae" exactly this save me more time and money really i am happy with that site http://www.insureme.ae/
Last edited by kiangr on 18 Feb 2012, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDM<3
UB Junior Member

Post by JDM<3 » 11 Feb 2012, 3:44 pm

kiangr wrote:Really finding best insurance from insurance companies will take money and time.but i saw there is a web site in uae for compare all car insurance "insurance comparison uae" exactly this same me more time and money really i am happy with that site http://www.insureme.ae/
How much they pay you to say that? Haaha jk u sound like an employee :razz:

kiangr
UB Junior Member

Post by kiangr » 18 Feb 2012, 9:31 pm

@JDM<3: You need not believe me. Do your own analysis. Cheers