Philips LED DRL - Legal In Dubai?

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
bennaiqbal
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:Audi A7 2013

Post by bennaiqbal » 21 Feb 2012, 10:35 pm

Hello guys! :)

've been a long time reader here and finally decided to make an account. :D

I was planning on getting those nice Philips LED DRL's for my Altima and does anyone of you have any info if its legal in here? I know these guys make a lot of issues during passing and then the cops screw you up on the road?

Any clues?

Thanks for the help :)

Ozimandius
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Mazda Miata MX-5 NA

Post by Ozimandius » 22 Feb 2012, 12:52 am

If your Altima had Xenons from the factory, it shouldn't be a problem. But if you had halogens, and changed it to these, then you will have issues.

7afe
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Lexus SC 300 5 SPD

Post by 7afe » 22 Feb 2012, 2:04 am

Ozimandius wrote:If your Altima had Xenons from the factory, it shouldn't be a problem. But if you had halogens, and changed it to these, then you will have issues.
:?
Why would he need to change anything to add Day Running Lights ? Isnt it going to be additional thing hiding somewhere in the front bumper??

Tribal
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:G35

Post by Tribal » 22 Feb 2012, 2:50 am

Sorry but DRL's are just Ricee, they belong on Porshe and Audi's.. not Altima's :mrgreen:
Spend on HID headlights/fogs or LED tail lights if you really want to change the look of your lights from OEM.

real_ashwin
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Nissan Altima 2008 SE

Post by real_ashwin » 22 Feb 2012, 8:34 am

Ozimandius wrote:If your Altima had Xenons from the factory, it shouldn't be a problem. But if you had halogens, and changed it to these, then you will have issues.
nope sir you are wrong and i am proof of this, i installed OEM xenons to replace my halogens. No issues while passing.

Ozimandius
UB Super Member

Post by Ozimandius » 22 Feb 2012, 8:42 am

I'm amazed, and I bet you just got lucky. People here have had lots of issues with this, in fact, one member with a G35 (stock xenons) had a problem because Tasjeel or Shamil thought it came with halogens as stock and tried to make him replace.

So, no, I am not wrong, you just got lucky. It's the same way my car passed with a loud exhaust (as noted in the Tasjeel report) and 6 year old tyres.

Matt
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:97 Wrx + 07 Wrx

Post by Matt » 22 Feb 2012, 9:50 am

Ozi, i think he is on about these

Not changing his lights to xenon's - And yeah... they look rice

bennaiqbal
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:Audi A7 2013

Post by bennaiqbal » 22 Feb 2012, 2:24 pm

Matt wrote:Ozi, i think he is on about these

Exactly. I dont wanna change headlights. Just add the DRLs.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-12820WLED ... 303&sr=8-1

comatose
UB Addicted Member

Post by comatose » 22 Feb 2012, 4:09 pm

Haha yeah Ozi that was me about 4 years ago. Shamil failed me for having oem stock xenons thinking g35 came with halogens.

holydevil27
UB Addicted Member

Post by holydevil27 » 22 Feb 2012, 7:40 pm

Tribal wrote:Sorry but DRL's are just Ricee, they belong on Porshe and Audi's.. not Altima's :mrgreen:
Spend on HID headlights/fogs or LED tail lights if you really want to change the look of your lights from OEM.
Correction:

'New legislation supporting road safety comes into effect Monday, April 13, with the mandatory use of daytime running lights.'

http://www.gov.ns.ca/news/details.asp?id=20090407002

This means that they are coming with most cars from the company. FJ, yaris, all the Lexus, etc.
Get your facts right before calling everything rice.

Ozimandius
UB Super Member

Post by Ozimandius » 22 Feb 2012, 8:45 pm

So it is allowed then? Interesting. I read wrong. My bad. But does this legislation apply to UAE yet? Some cars do come with stock daytime running lights (without the use of LEDs)

7afe
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Lexus SC 300 5 SPD

Post by 7afe » 23 Feb 2012, 2:02 am

Matt wrote:Ozi, i think he is on about these

I dont know whats rice about them, i think its pretty cool. Most of the cars are now days come with it from factory. Something i wouldnt put on my car, but i still think they are way better than those people who put big wings on their cars and make it a grocery cart.

Ozimandius
UB Super Member

Post by Ozimandius » 23 Feb 2012, 11:40 am

Well, if it's functional, then it should be fine I guess. (Y)

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 23 Feb 2012, 3:10 pm

holydevil27 wrote:
Tribal wrote:Sorry but DRL's are just Ricee, they belong on Porshe and Audi's.. not Altima's :mrgreen:
Correction:

'New legislation supporting road safety comes into effect Monday, April 13, with the mandatory use of daytime running lights.'

This means that they are coming with most cars from the company. FJ, yaris, all the Lexus, etc.
DRLs were always provided on many if not all cars sold in the US market. Have a look at this picture:

No, they are not low beams but mandatory standard bulb DRLs before the fancy shmancy LEDs showed up.

So yeah, LEDs are not mandated and are thus subject to personal opinion. I think they are overplayed, not necessarily rice though. I don't like the trend of almost every new car coming with a strip of LEDs stuck somewhere.
It certainly IS rice when you see cars with 4 or even 6 of these aftermarket LED DRLs on the front end. Fun fact: most are not even installed to be DRLs but come on with the low-beams, killing the whole purpose.

real_ashwin
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Nissan Altima 2008 SE

Post by real_ashwin » 23 Feb 2012, 4:06 pm

TNT wrote:
holydevil27 wrote:
Correction:

DRLs were always provided on many if not all cars sold in the US market. Have a look at this picture:

No, they are not low beams but mandatory standard bulb DRLs before the fancy shmancy LEDs showed up.

So yeah, LEDs are not mandated and are thus subject to personal opinion. I think they are overplayed, not necessarily rice though. I don't like the trend of almost every new car coming with a strip of LEDs stuck somewhere.
It certainly IS rice when you see cars with 4 or even 6 of these aftermarket LED DRLs on the front end. Fun fact: most are not even installed to be DRLs but come on with the low-beams, killing the whole purpose.
+1000