Exhaust Rules?!

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
Mr.HacKeR
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:09 Altima Coupe 3.5SE

Post by Mr.HacKeR » 05 Mar 2012, 8:41 pm

Hello guys
I was wondering if any of you know if there's a rule for exhaust systems in UAE, specially shj. I see a lot of cars with custom exhausts, but I also heard many stories about people getting their cars impounded for "illegal" exhaust systems. I contacted a shop, he wanted AED 4000 for a custom axle-back system! :arrow:
So I am considering getting a cat back system from the US, it will probably cost less.

AND is there a legal limit for lowering the car? I'm really tempted to get the Eibach pro lowering kit..

CaL][CaB
UB Senior Member

Post by CaL][CaB » 05 Mar 2012, 9:33 pm

having a custom made exhaust is very easy to identify..both to cops and to normal people...iv been stopped countless times and the coppers specifically look at the my cars rear...so I would suggest the Cat back...

lowering as long as your Tire to Body gap is 2 fingers....NOT your two fingers...the two fingers the cops gonna use to check the height :P...

Mr.HacKeR
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Mr.HacKeR » 05 Mar 2012, 11:23 pm

So even if I put a Cat back system, my car will still sound different.. so how is it better than an axle back?
lowering as long as your Tire to Body gap is 2 fingers....NOT your two fingers...the two fingers the cops gonna use to check the height :P...
lol :grin:
But that's a real shame, I wanted a ZERO gap between the tires and the body..

Tribal
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:G35

Post by Tribal » 05 Mar 2012, 11:41 pm

Well Anything other then OEM is basically illegal here.. :grin:
Lowering, you can get away with it until Passing time comes.. and if you have Coilovers I heard they don't make much problem's during passing also..
Mr.HacKeR wrote:So even if I put a Cat back system, my car will still sound different.. so how is it better than an axle back?
lol :grin:
But that's a real shame, I wanted a ZERO gap between the tires and the body..
I'm rolling with zero fingers gap, only got stopped once in sharjah buheirah, but he let me go after talking abit... not that big of a prob, go low all the way! :twisted:

Mr.HacKeR
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Mr.HacKeR » 05 Mar 2012, 11:54 pm

Ya I am tempted to lower it all the way! But I drive my car around sharjah a lot... :roll:
Can they impound the car just for lowering?! :|
What problems can occur when lowering the car? For the suspension?

CaL][CaB
UB Senior Member

Post by CaL][CaB » 06 Mar 2012, 3:41 am

well...nothing can be assured in advance...even the best of days some copper will come and fine u...so i say go ahead...as i have seen alot of cars with 0 finger gap...

iv been caught coz of lowering and I tell them that my suspensions adjustable and i will bring it up immediately.. and bla bla...

make sure u make the SAD DOGGY face though :grin:

Tribal
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:G35

Post by Tribal » 06 Mar 2012, 4:40 am

Mr.HacKeR wrote: What problems can occur when lowering the car? For the suspension?
Coilovers would be best, lowering springs are good but it will wear out your shocks which are not designed for the lowered height.
You should be Ok on the roads because you will have good ground clearance even after going down completely since you're sitting on 17's, just don't think of getting any lip kits.. they will surely break! :grin:

Go slow over bumpy roads and humps and it should be fine - PM me if your interested in getting Coilovers, i can give you directions to a place where you can find genuine ones for dirt cheap. :smile:

Mr.HacKeR
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Mr.HacKeR » 06 Mar 2012, 3:55 pm

lol I like the sad doggy face thing :grin:
If I put Coilovers can I put the OEM suspension back to original after a sometime?
I took my car for wheel alignment about a month ago, the guy there told me that my rod ends are loose, he offered to enforce them with Aluminum. I took the car to Nissan, they said that the tires need to be changed because they were made in 2008. There is a slight vibration when I drive around 120kph on Cruise Control (when the rpm is low). I still haven't changed the tires, so I'm not sure what causes the vibration yet, but it deferentially isn't a wheel balancing issue. I'm afraid if I lower the car then there will be more stress on the rod ends and a more serious problem will develop.. I'm already running on wider rims than stock.

7afe
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Lexus SC 300 5 SPD

Post by 7afe » 06 Mar 2012, 9:20 pm

If you really want to know whats the problem you need to get under your car. Ask someone to move the steering left n right a little bit and feel play in your tie rods. IF they okay then probably your tires and some alignment issue. Lowering does make alignment harder camber, toe angles change. You need to go to a good alignment person who can align your car. I dunoo about exhaust rules really, some people get caught some dont. I have an exhaust but it isnt loud at all. I also have coil-overs but i am not dumb enough to slam my car to the floor. It all depends function over looks.
get the looks pay 4x times for tires, ride like shit, pay extra for steering/suspension maintenance.(these things break OFTEN)
or get functional and everything is good. Specially if its your DD (Y)
P.S being functional doesn't mean you cant go low.

Mr.HacKeR
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Mr.HacKeR » 06 Mar 2012, 9:39 pm

Thanks 7afe! (Y)
I will check if the tie rods soon!
But today I noticed that there is a 4 and half fingers gap between the front tires and the body of the car, while there is a 3 fingers gap between the body and the rear tires! :?
And just by inspection I noticed that the front tires began to make a negative camber, I noticed that because I thought that the front tires were running flat. I will take off the tires and check if the they are worn out from the inner side.. :mad:

Could this be an indication that the tie rods are loose?

7afe
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Lexus SC 300 5 SPD

Post by 7afe » 07 Mar 2012, 2:03 am

Sounds like bad alignment to me. I've noticed people just go give their car in alignment shop and then when the car is done they just drive home. Next time you go to a shop get your alignment done, im guessing everyone in UAE has them latest machine ( not including irani shops). The one i used was Hunter. You can print your camber/caster/toe readings before adjusting and then print them after adjusting. Everything should be green. If not green then yellow ( which is usually problem). I cant really tell you what can be the cause without looking at it.
About tie rods being lose? Never heard of that. From what i've done in past is like, you make a bolt loose on the inner tie rod, and then you turn the rod around and adjust your angles for toe. Take out the control arm bolt and then adjust. Make sure you get your printout after adjustment and before adjustment to see what the shop has done to your car. If not printout then atleast look at your camber/caster/toe readings before leaving the car there. Make sure they lock the steering wheel at like straight before getting toe adjusted.
P.S MAKE SURE YOUR TIRES HAVE CORRECT AIR PRESSURE AND ARE BALANCED BEFORE ALIGNMENT.
I dunoo the finger measuring style either. We used measuring tape. Its different way for every car, dunoo whats it like for yours.

Mr.HacKeR
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Mr.HacKeR » 07 Mar 2012, 11:31 am

Thanks a lot 7afe!
I will do everything I can to make sure all is well before the drop!

alexEF
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:1991 Honda Civic Hatchback

Post by alexEF » 07 Mar 2012, 11:59 am

just curious, what car you have mr.hacker?

Mr.HacKeR
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Mr.HacKeR » 08 Mar 2012, 1:23 am

:grin:

It's an 08 Altima Coupe 3.5. I'm trying to push it to the limits (at least its limits 300 hp, since it's a CVT) , but I'm going slow because its my DD.. :roll:
I saw some Altima Coupe's in the US that can do a 1/4 mile in the range of 13 seconds @ 90-100 MPH! That's quick for a FWD don't you think?

soflow
UB Addicted Member

Post by soflow » 10 Mar 2012, 4:00 pm

your trying to get your 08 altima 3.5lt to 300whp? how to you plan on doing that? turbo or supercharge?
i doubt that can be done by staying n/a
sorry to burst your bubble.