UAE laws with modifying?

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
2JZ-GE
UB Junior Member

Post by 2JZ-GE » 18 Mar 2013, 8:53 am

firstly, is there any laws against engine swapping in the uae?
for example, a supra 2jz-gte engine into a lexus sc300 (lexus's version of the toyota soarer)

next, what abt turbocharging whats the laws against that?

im new to the forum guys. would appreciate any input thanks.

7afe
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Lexus SC 300 5 SPD

Post by 7afe » 18 Mar 2013, 9:36 am

Are you gonna swap in USA? you'll run into 4.5-5.5K USD swapping a 2JZ GTE if ya gonna do it yourself w/o LABOR . 2-3K for 2JZ - GTE . 1.5K for maintenance parts clutch misc items. Your 2JZ swap will cost you more than what you paid to buy that car.
I am half way through on my 1JZ GTE and i'm already down on 3.5K USD with doing it myself. Just take the car back stock and swap your 2JZ- GTE in UAE. Do you have tools to do all this or know what are you getting into before you even get down to the laws would be my question to you because there are always ways to get around laws, but there is no way around your desire to swap.

Cheers,
L0kz

2JZ-GE
UB Junior Member

Post by 2JZ-GE » 20 Mar 2013, 5:14 am

i know what im getting into, its why i bought the car xD to build it up.
i was initially planning on doing the swap here in the US but is it better to do the swap in the uae?
getting a turbo kit is my other option (but the GE block does not have oil squirters for the rods apparently which can become an issue if ur going into further modifications and higher HP)

but what worries me is that ive heard way too much about how any performance modification will result in a no-registration in the UAE. which is why i ask. so it IS possible to somehow drive a modded car in peace?

2JZ-GE
UB Junior Member

Post by 2JZ-GE » 20 Mar 2013, 8:36 pm

Also im gonna take a class where im gonna bore out the engine from a 3.0 to a 3.5. For which ill need new pistons and other internals. But wud tht be a possible to register?

7afe
UB Senior Member

Post by 7afe » 20 Mar 2013, 10:00 pm

You are new to this game so please dont talk crap on the GE block. I have seen people take the NA-T Setup to 700+ Horses on E85, GE Block can do the job just as well.
Now second for your displacement question. Its a $9 k kit from titan motorsports, how much power you are looking to get? 2JZ handles good amount of boost to make you get around 450 horses on stock internals and if you are planning to go W58, you can kiss it bye bye around that number 400-500 horses and TQ .

Once again let me clarify this for you in simple words- You can register anything you want there, you just need to know how to get it done.

2JZ-GE
UB Junior Member

Post by 2JZ-GE » 21 Mar 2013, 6:36 am

my bad if you got the wrong idea, i wasnt talking crap about my block i know it has great potential.

but anyway, my target is only limited by money.
with route NA-T, im aiming 350hp. what range of expenses do you think im looking at if i wanna do that? (remember its an auto, a very slow one that too)

the possibilities are endless, im planning from way ahead (now) because i wanna explore all my options untill its time to finally go ahead and start buying things. (this time next year)
the reason im so eager to do all this is cause thanks to god i got a great program in my college where we have performance machining labs, dyno facilities, and tons of people with intense knowledge in this field and i wanna take advantage of this and build something while i have the resources right in front of me y'know.

thanks for the reply about the registration issue btw. I feel much better knowing theres hope haha.
so tell me more about ur SC. what year is it? what are your plans for it ?

btw u adviced me earlier that i should swap (if i swap) it in uae instead, any reason behind that? just curious.

7afe
UB Senior Member

Post by 7afe » 25 Mar 2013, 8:53 am

350 HP? you dont need to open that engine at all to make that much power. You can make 400-500 horses on a stock internals 1JZ. Some guys on the other forums have made 500+hp on completely stock internals and 700+ with just built cylinder head ( cams, valves, springs, port polish).

For your goals from start and looking at endless power opportunity you first need to swap a W58 ( saying because 350 HP to start with) in your car. 300-500 USD for the tranny only, then you'll need slave cylinder and pedals and clutch lines. You will also need new clutch and flywheel, you can get a used flywheel for 100-200 USD resurfaced and clutch is really your choice new or used it doesnt matter should be cheap.

If you want 300-500 range safe engine you could go either 1JZ or 2JZ. Like i said before my 1JZ swap nearly cost of 3.5K USD and its still not done, miscellaneous things maybe 3.8 or 4k USD.
2JZ is a whole different story. Engine itself goes for 2500-3 k USD. Then you'll need parts to refresh the motor 600-700 USD. Then you'll need a better clutch thats about 300-1000+ anywhere there.
You'll need a new harness made for your 2JZ GTE to mate with your SC Body plugs that will be 1K
Chances are you will get a front sump 2JZ - GTE then you might need a few 100 bux more change the sumps ( the same can happen with 1JZ ), intercooler, pipes, gauges, fuel pump, custom exhaust yada yada 1K MORE.

So you can be the judge which is better for your goals - 1JZ swap for 4k USD or 2JZ swap for 5-6k USD. Both will serve well until you want to go straight out extreme race car 2JZ no questions asked.
If a fast street car 1JZ will be just as good.

My Sc300 is nearly done with a 1JZ swap that i'm doing in my friends house. Its bone to stock 1JZ, just has AEM Wide band gauge and a Walbro fuel pump, few other goodies like HID , remote start etc nothing special and custom exhaust.

I said to do it in UAE because it will be cheaper to do so. It might seem more but if you convert the currency then you'll see the difference. Also if you think this swap is a joke it is a lot of work and you cant do it alone. In UAE you will be able to get a mechanic to do it for you for cheap ( cant promise you how clean of a swap it will be ), but you wont learn shit that way. If its your major learn how to do it yourself.

Hope this helps
Cheers,
Lokz