Questions and Concerns for a US Expat

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
NewUser
UB Junior Member

Post by NewUser » 12 Apr 2016, 12:43 am

Hi Guys,

Currently on the fence about working in the UAE for a year, specifically Abu Dhabi.

I am not familiar at all with the rules and regulations in the UAE and it seems hard to find answers to my general questions.

Coming from the United States, I would say that regulations although strict are kinda tame here and easy to get by. My current Mazda is 350WHP fully bolted, running a GT2871 Turbo at 22psi, tuned by myself via Cobb Accessport, 3.5" intake, 3" full catless exhaust, and all the suspension goodies. Even have some maps ready for E85 fuel to turn up the fun and power lol.
Being catless and having EGR components removed, I technically can't pass inspection whatsoever, be it safety or emissions. It is quite a hassle when that time of the year comes to get inspected but I manage and find my way and move along until the next years inspections are due.

I could care less about any visual modifications. I'm not looking to put a "sick" body kit or lights and rims on my car. I want to go to the UAE with the attempts to build a cheap piece of shit car 300+WHP that I can daily and have fun at the track without getting into too much trouble with fines and etc... Everything I have read seems so strict on the laws of modifications. Any restrictions or things to be aware of? Maybe a post I missed and should give a read? I'm sure this has been beaten to death already

It would be a shame to travel this far and not get to play on the tracks I read about online :(

Also, I see prices are alot higher in the UAE for the exact same cars in the US? I would have assumed the opposite! I don't see many "tuner" cars on the market let alone manual tranmissions in a decent price range or the frequency of what I'm used to seeing in the states.
Will prices be sky high for parts as well? Or do you guys source from the USA/UK/Asia and ship them to the UAE? Aftermarket performance and OEM replacement parts.

Another question, what is parking like lol?
Do you guys work on your cars freely outside? Back home, I can do anything from an oil change to changing a clutch in my residential parking lot. Will there by the same freedom of wrenching out there in the blazing heat? I enjoy working on my own car and I hate taking my car to a mechanic that will charge an arm and a leg for the same service I can do for blood and sweat and just money for parts and tools. It's also a good time to hang out and drink a beer (Well not sure about beer either in the UAE lol sorry no offense :).
I guess cleaning air filters will be more frequent there lol.

Maybe buying a dirt bike will be a cheaper alternative to playing with a motor and wheels during my temporary stay?

Thanks for the read gents.