Electronic Wedge Brakes

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
masabgt
UB Special Member

Post by masabgt » 13 Nov 2006, 11:06 pm

Electronic Wedge Brakes may be in your future

Siemens has developed a new brake technology called the Electronic
Wedge Brake (EWB). Unlike conventional brakes, this is not hydraulic, but rather electronic, and works with a wedge, similar to those found on old horse-drawn carriages of the past.

Siemens claims that this EWB s more efficient, responds faster, requires far less energy, reduces a vehicle's weight and saves space.

The EWB relies on sophisticated sensor technology and electronics to prevent the brakes from locking and ensure highly efficient and controlled braking. The wedge uses a vehicle's kinetic energy, converting it into braking energy. By reinforcing itself this way, the EWB needs only one-tenth of the actuating energy required by today's hydraulic braking systems. Given this superior efficiency, the EWB will also be smaller, which will reduce the vehicle's weight. In addition, with the EWB there will be no need for brake lines, a servo-unit or a brake fluid reservoir. This will free up roughly 22 liters in the engine compartment, giving designers additional space to work with.

what do you guys say?

Chillay
UB Addicted Member

Post by Chillay » 14 Nov 2006, 3:40 pm

this shit is sweet.... NIce find bro....

But im sure this thing has a lot of poteintial.... still and im wondering Siemens Being mclaren f1s sponser we might see sumthin like this in an f1 car????

kartoos100
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:08 IS300 + 05 Civic

Post by kartoos100 » 14 Nov 2006, 3:43 pm

gonna be really expensive.. especially to maintain... with all the electronics involved.. but gr8 technology neverthless

Chillay
UB Addicted Member

Post by Chillay » 14 Nov 2006, 4:03 pm

kartoos100 wrote:gonna be really expensive.. especially to maintain... with all the electronics involved.. but gr8 technology neverthless
acually i dont think so man u wont have to pay for stuff like brake fluid and hydraulic pressure... and as the article says these parts are cheap rite so/... not neccessarly...

kartoos100
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:08 IS300 + 05 Civic

Post by kartoos100 » 14 Nov 2006, 4:39 pm

well the article doesnt state anything abt the parts being cheap... I'm saying it will be costyl cos of the electronics involved.. and such circuits are a real pain.. they are very dificult to repair.. the hydraulic brakes are easier to maintain.. cheaper too.. even if u wana replace them.. i wud suggest the good old hydraulics on a normal car.. but if ur talking abt racing like F1 where the slightest of weight saving on the car means a lot on the track then go for the wedgies :wink:

Neo
Vehicle:2005 Hyundai Coupe

Post by Neo » 14 Nov 2006, 11:45 pm

Well cost wont be a problem i guess....
Something that costed Dhs 1000 last year barely cost Dhs 500 this year.... want an example.. jst look at cell phones... :D

My point it.... Drive by wire which is derived from FLY by wire is still scary for me.... call me old school if you want...

Have u guys noticed the ABS light coming ON on certain older cars....
Most of time it means the ABS is disfunctional.... however the good old braking system is functioning... you will miss the Anti lock facility... Honeslty most the time u wont it notice unless u do panic braking....

The reason, ABS is based on an electronic sensor which dectects which wheel is going into a lock and when this system fails, the normal hydraulics system is working, jst like all time....

Lets say the electronic system fails coz electronics are prone to fail... lol... Look ma i got a flying car.... oops... CRASH !!! BANG!!!!

I wonder why these BMWs are on fire these days....
Want more... jst ask....

Anyways I have nothing against newer technology....

Lets see how things go....

masabgt
UB Special Member

Post by masabgt » 19 Nov 2006, 8:04 pm

have any one seen Mikeh! 8) no comment yet!? :o

Imran
UB Junior Member

Post by Imran » 26 Dec 2006, 11:23 pm

Neo wrote:Well cost wont be a problem i guess....
Something that costed Dhs 1000 last year barely cost Dhs 500 this year.... want an example.. jst look at cell phones... :D

My point it.... Drive by wire which is derived from FLY by wire is still scary for me.... call me old school if you want...

Have u guys noticed the ABS light coming ON on certain older cars....
Most of time it means the ABS is disfunctional.... however the good old braking system is functioning... you will miss the Anti lock facility... Honeslty most the time u wont it notice unless u do panic braking....

The reason, ABS is based on an electronic sensor which dectects which wheel is going into a lock and when this system fails, the normal hydraulics system is working, jst like all time....

Lets say the electronic system fails coz electronics are prone to fail... lol... Look ma i got a flying car.... oops... CRASH !!! BANG!!!!

I wonder why these BMWs are on fire these days....
Want more... jst ask....

Anyways I have nothing against newer technology....

Lets see how things go....

i agree bro..