HELP NEEDED:BASIC RULES OF MODIFYING A CAR IN DUBAI

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
Alpha
Adminstrator
Vehicle:RNN14 + JZZ31 + CT9A

Post by Alpha » 31 Mar 2007, 8:31 pm

Thanks for the informations guys :) Those are some of the things that need to be considered by the majority that modify cars out of the blue.

ps. just a precaution; read forums rules!

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 01 Apr 2007, 9:00 am

methelover wrote: 1. fat exaust wid sound in it
2. the car should have the jumps in it the car should not be to low
3. well if u need to change the color u should have the permission by the police
4. if ur planin to put turbi meters inside the car for decoration dont do it coz it is not allowed in the other emirates
1. agree, has been said before
2. I dont know what "jumps" are, but I guess it should not be low, period. Either being suspension or body kit.
3. it has been said before
4. those "turbi meters" are allowed as far as I know. It are rather gauges that monitor the vitals of your engine, such as EGT and AFR. They don't post any problem. It's what is under your hood that is important.

Oh, and last time I checked, UAQ and ajman are a bit less strict on cars than dubai. A person with the wasta like you claim to have, would actually know this.

Nismo
UB Senior Member

Post by Nismo » 01 Apr 2007, 1:58 pm

ajman is hell bro ... once i was coming from second hand market and ambulance chased me lol . I was so bloody shocked though i did not stop it was a proper movie chase . I managed to escape but then later we got a call from the cops and i ended up paying 800dhs . Ajman i dont think they got any problems with the mods . Rak and uaq they are quite fine they have no concern with your car untill and unless you mess around on streets. duba is quite fine as well its just some cops who suck big time .. the most crack heads are sharjah guys they r nuts i dont know what is the matter with them . abudhabi is crap as well they are bad they screw you up .

methelover
UB Junior Member

Post by methelover » 05 Apr 2007, 12:07 pm

hey guys i have been livin in ajman since i was born and hell yeah they r strick well some things which u guys didnt understand

cars should have jumps means the car should have suspension in it....where the body kit is concenred it should also be not too loww ....y they catch u if u dont have suspension is coz they thing ur car is low coz u race on streets ......well guys tht was just a suggestion it is upto u wht u wanna do wid ur car .....some get lucky to get away some get stuck and pay

where umalquwain and rak r concerned all the guys who have there cars modified in tht place r eigther workin in police or there brothers or family member work in police so the police doesnt care tht much

guyss guys im just givin sugestions tht is upto u to listen or not

simon*X
UB Junior Member

Post by simon*X » 26 Apr 2007, 1:05 pm

But what happens when the car is registered in R.A.K an they stop me in Dubai?? I mean, till now i never had a bad experience with the police, and i think it depends at the cop itself if hes giving a fine or not!! By the way i got my car passed 1 week ago in R.A.K like it is...I think, if you are driving safety, your not racing,your not driving reckless, and your not going in 2nd gear at 100 km/h the whole time, nothing will happen... And that a Supra or a Skyline have an exhaust sound wich is louder than an usuall car, thats normal... Its a sports car... i think its different if they stop a corolla or civic with 90 hp(sorry guys i dont mean it bad, its just an example) with a 3,5 inch exhaust system with a straigtht pipe without any silencers or cats...These cars shouldnt be as loud as an supra or skyline or any sportscar... A mustang or a Lumina SS is also loud, also if they are stock....because they are sport cars...

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 26 Apr 2007, 2:09 pm

To follow the rules fully, anything else than stock is currently not allowed. Stock, the skyline and the supra sound pretty quiet as well.

Alpha
Adminstrator

Post by Alpha » 26 Apr 2007, 6:14 pm

simon*X wrote:But what happens when the car is registered in R.A.K an they stop me in Dubai?
I assume the body kit did not give you any problems, neither would have the exhaust system as its RAK (which is way much less strict than Dubai) since it's a Supra and its a sports car and it should be okay even with the Tasjeel there since 80% of the Supras in RAK have those loud exhausts.

The only thing I ask: you had absolutely no problem with the color of your car? (the last time I went to pass a R32 GT-R in UAQ, they failed me on the spot seeing the black/silver colors.) what are the colors on your registration card?

OR

was it the previous owner of the car who got it passed for you? (usually a RAK national) the plates tell.

simon*X
UB Junior Member

Post by simon*X » 26 Apr 2007, 9:11 pm

yes it was the previous owner who got it passed for me, and its registerd now on 2 tone color...So no problems... at the end of the day, is it better if the car isnt registerd in dubai or do this cause more problems with the police??

Alpha
Adminstrator

Post by Alpha » 27 Apr 2007, 11:23 am

simon*X wrote:at the end of the day, is it better if the car isnt registerd in dubai
Frankly speaking, I see it better to register such cars in any other emirate other than Dubai. Dubai is extremely strict when it comes to registration terms. For instance, even the Honda guys with only some intakes and muffler tips installed panic since they don't know if Dubai Tasjeel will pass their cars.
or do this cause more problems with the police??
Loud exhausts will get you a ticket regardless of where your car is registered and in what emirate are you actually driving it, be it Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Al Ain whatever. The Police don't give you tickets because your plates don't match the emirate you're driving the car in. It's the way other cities pass your cars and let you drive them with those loud exhausts that really is very disturbing for the residents.

As you said it yourself; as long as you're not driving at 100km/h on the second gear, you're all good.

simon*X
UB Junior Member

Post by simon*X » 27 Apr 2007, 8:02 pm

allrigtht, thax for the answers sam..

by the way, where did you got the volk racing replicas.. :D

ansarijr
UB Junior Member

Post by ansarijr » 12 May 2007, 3:00 am

what about getting a performance ECU.. is that accepted by dubai???..

a friend of mine told me once about a company by the name of FOXX...
he told me they work on your exhausts and also provide you with some paper works which you can provide during registration--> and thats it , your car gets registered....

see, just working on your exhaust for it to make some sweet noise is easy, but, doing it the proper way is what is important......

the sequence which your exhaust gases follow while coming out is really important for your catalyic converter ( if ur car has one ) if you damage your converter your car starts polluting more( health hazard- a valid reason for your car not to get registered)
.also the theory of resonance comes into existance then...... u must have heard that when soldiers march towards any bridge, they are asked to scramble their marching pattern, thats coz if they maintain it, it can result in the breaking of the bridge,-- all coz of resonance....

so when you change your exhaust you need to think about the resonance aswell.... there is someting ( i think its called glass-pack) which is used to crate the scramble in the sound that comes from your exhaust.....

so, how is it that FOXX can get your car registered?? they follow guidelines and change your exhaust in a proper manner, so that you dont pollute the enviornment, and also dont damage your car....

small garages ignore these guidelines and just provide you with the noise - they basically dont give a shit to what might happen to your car later, or how this mod might damage the air.....

now turbo... why is this not accepted...???

guys, a turbo provides your car with extra air in your cylinder so that consequentially you can put in more fuel to your cylinder ( get a nice amt of air/fuel) hence giving you extra horse-power.... but do you think any ordinary car can handle all this pressure being created in your cylinder??... not every car is a sports car... they all cant just have such strong engines...there are chances that you might end up blowing up your engine... so, dubai doesnt register any car which is not designed to be used with a tubo...( its for your safety itself ) ..
also adding turbo means using a higher octane fuel<super>, coz the pressure in your cylinder is so much and also your piston then compresses this air making the air really hot... this heat might ignite the fuel(lower octane-<special>) in the cylinder leading to a big nose(miss fire) from your engine,, and also resulting is loss of fuel and consequentially your car will emitt unwanted gases in the air......

But, I guess if you provide RTA with real good evidence and proof that what all mods you are going to do in your car will follow all safety guidelines-- they might be just happy to register your car ( atleast then your car is not a threat for yourself and others).. its all about taking permissions and doing the right thing....

cheers guys......

Accord98
Vehicle:Toyoda

Post by Accord98 » 12 May 2007, 10:07 am

^^ ansarijr, Foxx does not provide you with any papers - in fact, they dont gaurantee anything - if ur car passes, it passes, if it doesnt - its ur problem.

On proper modifications and why its not allowed - no one knows. Its been discussed countless times and cops will not be changing their minds anytime soon.

Ive heard it being said that you can take permission from the police/RTA .... ive tried, and hundreds of others have - you need wasta.... and thats it. Try visiting ur local police station or RTA office and tell them that u want permission to modify your car - and they will just send you away or tell you its against the law.

simon*X
UB Junior Member

Post by simon*X » 12 May 2007, 4:47 pm

hey just a question.. wtf is WASTA??????

Accord98
Vehicle:Toyoda

Post by Accord98 » 12 May 2007, 5:24 pm

Wasta is an Arabic term that refers to who a person knows that can help in certain situations....

For example, you get a speeding fine, a friend of yours works with the police and can get your ticket cancelled - you officially have "wasta"

You have 'connections'.

Hence, when it comes to modifying cars or passing modified cars, alot of people use 'wasta' - they either know someone at a police station or something like that.....

Hope that explains it.

ansarijr
UB Junior Member

Post by ansarijr » 13 May 2007, 2:51 pm

hey accord98,,
this is the response i got from RTA..

Dear Sir/Madam, Thank you for writing to RTA. In response to your email, please be informed that it’s not permissibleto modify or add any extra part in the car. Additions are in the sense,adding spoilers, stickers etc. Please don't hesitate to contact us for any further clarifications atinfo@rta.ae or call us at 800-9090 (24 hours a day / 7 days a week). Yours Sincerely,Customer Support Team,Roads & Transport Authority,Dubai – UAEwww.rta.ae

WTF mate, how do u then modify a car..??
how have other people in this group modified their car.. if they have used wasta, isnt it still illegal doing such things...

lemme know how you guys get around the registration issues???