WARNING: Serious muscle hiting Dubai Streets

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
Hosrom
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Hosrom » 31 Jul 2007, 1:16 am

I just got off the phone with my turbo builder/supplier in California (http://www.turbo-performance.com ask for Mr. Bob). Bob has been working on turbo's for 20+ years, he is a bit old school, but he delivers.

Anyways, while talking about shipping my turbo, he told me that he has a car that just left his workshop last night with Dubai plate numbers. I was stumped, and he said that it was a 2006/7 BMW M5, that he just finished installing and custom fabricating a twin turbo kit, with twin intercoolers and the 'works'. Now, when an old school turbo builder tells you "the works", it means some serious muscle.

He doesn't tune the cars, he just builds turbo kits and turbochargers and supplies/installs them. The people that took the car back (a BMW tuner in CA), informed him that the car put down 790whp and 801lbs of torque at 5.5psi, that was they "test run".

For you guys, that M5 is coming to dubai in the next 3-6 months, after new suspension, brakes, exhaust (rear end) and fully tuned to run on both pump (98 Octane) gas and race gas (105+ Octane).

Be warned, i don't know the colour, i don't remember the plates, but i will get it from Mr. Bob soon, that car will tear up Dubai's streets. Since the standard 507Bhp version can already kill 80% of the cars out there (tuned and stock) imagine what this fire breathing monster would do.

Oh, and the total cost of the turbo kit that Bob did ran in the US$13,500, and the shop that took it said that it was the most expensive kit they have seen, but it was worth every penny, since their test run blew everyone's minds....

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 31 Jul 2007, 8:26 am

Cool!

But why did they stop at 5.5 pounds, the winter is coming up .. they can tune it up..

starcrossed49
UB Junior Member

Post by starcrossed49 » 31 Jul 2007, 9:26 am

Hosrom wrote:Be warned....that car will tear up Dubai's streets.
Hmmm ... is it gonna tear up the streets in a straight line? That would be really useless. Sorry .. my two cents. :wink:

stone-head
UB Senior Member

Post by stone-head » 31 Jul 2007, 10:24 am

some thing like this :wink:
2007 BMW M5 by Currency Motor Cars
Specifications

Engine

Type: Twin-turbo V10
Displacement cu in (cc): 301 (4941)
Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 810(604) / n.a.
Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 733(994) / n.a.
Redline at RPM: n.a.

Brakes & Tires

Brakes F/R: ABS, vented disc/vented disc
Tires F-R: R20
Driveline: Rear Wheel Drive

Exterior Dimensions & Weight

Length × Width × Height in: 191.1 × 72.7 × 74.3
Weight lb (kg): 4033 (1830)

Performance

Acceleration 0-60 mph s: 3.6
Top Speed mph (km/h): 240 (386)
Fuel Economy EPA city/highway mpg (l/100 km): n.a.

Image[/img]
Image[/img]
Image[/img]

they ran out of space & squeezed the turbos in it's butt , just can't imagine the lag
:)

Hosrom
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Hosrom » 31 Jul 2007, 12:09 pm

You got it all wrong, having the turbo's in the rear is a bit unorthodox, but there is no lag, that is how they mount the turbo's on the C6 corvettes.

Yes, you do lose 1psi boost because of the long turbing, however, since they are so far back and run more cooler, they gain an additional 50whp, which is a great trade off.

But i don't know if that car is the one i am talking about, Bob is old school and he likes things tight, i will check with him where did he mount the turbo's.

starcrossed49
UB Junior Member

Post by starcrossed49 » 31 Jul 2007, 12:32 pm

corvettes with turbos? :|

Hosrom
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Hosrom » 31 Jul 2007, 12:35 pm

stone-head
UB Senior Member

Post by stone-head » 31 Jul 2007, 12:51 pm

actually I'm not experienced with such extreme & radical modding world , just liddle
tedbits in the old school ( carbs & so on :) )
but really it won't increase the lag ???? :? :? after all only real world experience
will tell , not even computer simulations match the real life.
without cats & mufflers I think it won't be street legal , little like porsche 930 mobydeck
right hosrom :wink:

damn they blocked youtube again in my work place :evil: :evil:

Hosrom
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Hosrom » 31 Jul 2007, 12:56 pm

stone-head wrote:actually I'm not experienced with such extreme & radical modding world , just liddle
tedbits in the old school ( carbs & so on :) )
but really it won't increase the lag ???? :? :? after all only real world experience
will tell , not even computer simulations match the real life.
without cats & mufflers I think it won't be street legal , little like porsche 930 mobydeck
right hosrom :wink:

damn they blocked youtube again in my work place :evil: :evil:
Man, i love that car, the 930 maybe a bi$tch to work on, but the rewards.........

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 01 Aug 2007, 9:59 am

These things (called STS turbo's by the way) usually generate a lot of lag, so I don't know why this one wouldn't.. On bigger engines it's less of an issue, since you have your 4+ liter engine creating torque anyhow.

Many leave out the IC's because the charged air cools down anyway.. And I guess that it will be more than 1 PS lost..

I never liked these systems, though it would be nice to see what it actually can do. I find it all a bit dangerous (imagine something hitting the turbo's with some crap on the road, or driving through a puddle of water and you'd cool down your turbo's immediately.. that's bad...)

Hosrom
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Hosrom » 01 Aug 2007, 4:46 pm

mikeh wrote:These things (called STS turbo's by the way) usually generate a lot of lag, so I don't know why this one wouldn't.. On bigger engines it's less of an issue, since you have your 4+ liter engine creating torque anyhow.

Many leave out the IC's because the charged air cools down anyway.. And I guess that it will be more than 1 PS lost..

I never liked these systems, though it would be nice to see what it actually can do. I find it all a bit dangerous (imagine something hitting the turbo's with some crap on the road, or driving through a puddle of water and you'd cool down your turbo's immediately.. that's bad...)
I actually have the video of the installation of the STS kit, dyno before and after then the actual dataloged spool, temp, hp gained, flow and stuff.....

Im looking for it as we speak, it is 70+MB though

starcrossed49
UB Junior Member

Post by starcrossed49 » 02 Aug 2007, 9:32 am

mikeh wrote:I never liked these systems, though it would be nice to see what it actually can do. I find it all a bit dangerous (imagine something hitting the turbo's with some crap on the road, or driving through a puddle of water and you'd cool down your turbo's immediately.. that's bad...)
Stick with the Old Skool method. (Y)