how durable is the underside (under-chasis) of a car?

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
kevinsmith
UB Junior Member

Post by kevinsmith » 15 Sep 2007, 9:50 pm

this morning I was trapped in this vacant, sandy lot somewhere in king faisal road. and the only way for me to get out was to drive off the pavement and into the main road. the problem is the underside of my car hit the edge of the pavement! i got off to check for dents underneath but i couldn't tell. but so far the car, my 2006 honda civic, seems to be running without any problems. but i'll still find a way to have a clear look underneath. maybe i'll take it to a car wash where they lift up the cars in order to clean the underside. :|

i just hope the underside of the car isn't badly damaged. :(

grayfox666
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Volkswagen Tin Can

Post by grayfox666 » 16 Sep 2007, 12:43 am

Happened to me LOTS of time with the shitty parking in my area.
I check the car everytime and cant find any dents.
What u ussualy hit is the sides of the car, under ur side skirts.If u werent going fast there shouldnt be any prob.
Once my car "jumped" on the curb and stuck, and the front wheels hang in the air, but still no damage.
HONDA baby. :D

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 16 Sep 2007, 1:25 am

It can take some abuse, don't worry. Don't forget it's where you and your interior (200+ kilo's, depending on the junk in your car) sits on..

It has reinforced parts also, think about jacking up a car. You usually put half the weight of the car (one side up) on a few square centimeters..

Of course, there are limits to everything.. but when I had my GT back in Europe, so many things hit the bottom (somehow, i have this fetish for rally'ing) and nothing happened to it...

Hosrom
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Hosrom » 16 Sep 2007, 6:34 am

The lowest part under the car is always the exhaust, the exhaust would always be the first to take hits.

That is assuming that the edges of the car don't get nicked, which is rare/common depending on how you do it.

Scraps are fine, no worries, the chassis of a uni-body designed car is only exposed in the front, the mid and rear have panels, re-enforcements and floor board spot welded to the chassis (some cars are different and have the rear portion of the chassis exposed just enough to use a jack-stand/lift).

Eleanor
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 16 Sep 2007, 9:49 pm

well id say Honda machines can take alot of beating..... they survive here n they survive in India...i wonder wht car could survive in india- with those roads n those weather conditions....
Honda's do well... strong n reliable - id say ....

SD -