looks good, drives dangerously (emirates today, 10/22/2007)

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
kevinsmith
UB Junior Member

Post by kevinsmith » 22 Oct 2007, 7:44 pm

i just read this story in Emirates Today and now i'm wondering if this law has already been passed or if it has been implemented with us not knowing about it. it says that people with modified cars will pay a fine of 400DH and have three [black] points slapped into their licenses.

illegal modifications include:
-suspension adjustments
-changing wheel size :(
-fitting crash bars
-fitting more powerful engines
-installing turbochargers
-tinting windows beyond 30%

does it mean that we'll have to pay 400DH for having our wheels/rims changed? are we going to pay fines for adding body kits to our cars? :(

what do you guys think?

as for me, i'm currently using 16-inch Lenso rims on my 2006 Civic and i'm thinking of going for 17s. though i'm wondering if i'll be paying a fine for that. :(

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 22 Oct 2007, 8:21 pm

i think this law is applied all over khaleej!!...i have a feeling the GCC are having a evil meeting to get rid of us crazy modders...

well il tell you my 2cents....you can get away with it...you can always say i wasnt aware of the new laws...i dont think they are gona slap you with a fine bcoz you have stock size rims but there after market...

i guess it all depends on your luck..but definatly one thing you should avoid is the tint!!!...as for swapping engines...well how are they gonna no you swapped a engine unless they see a civic driving 300km/h then i guess it might raise there eyebraws...things like crash bars, bodykits and stuff are thigns that the cops can see visually, so ya you could get fined for that...

ur best bet would be to modd you car but stay low key..dont rev un-neccessarly!!...dont drive fast for no reason....keep things simple and they will leave you alone!!..

btw i was just curious...why would they ban roll-cages or crash bars...dont they add saftey....hmmm!!!

the rest is on ur luck buddy

kevinsmith
UB Junior Member

Post by kevinsmith » 22 Oct 2007, 10:10 pm

you mean if i buy bigger rims i'll have to either get a permit or pay a fine?

another thing.
what's going to happen to the wheel shops in the industrial area?

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 22 Oct 2007, 10:44 pm

no...you dont need to get a permit buddy...like i said you can get away from things..its just how u modd your car...if you put 25" on ur civic your gonna get pulled over...if you but 17" rims on your car they might not even notice and ignore it .....nothing will happen to the wheel shops..and nothing will happen to the big shops that sell turbo's and exhaust...

its stupid you no what i mean?!?!..they gives licenses to people to open performance shops..but then its illegal to have the modd's...i just dont this hole process

kevinsmith
UB Junior Member

Post by kevinsmith » 22 Oct 2007, 11:30 pm

Tamu wrote:no...you dont need to get a permit buddy...like i said you can get away from things..its just how u modd your car...if you put 25" on ur civic your gonna get pulled over...if you but 17" rims on your car they might not even notice and ignore it .....nothing will happen to the wheel shops..and nothing will happen to the big shops that sell turbo's and exhaust...

its stupid you no what i mean?!?!..they gives licenses to people to open performance shops..but then its illegal to have the modd's...i just dont this hole process
oh, well.
i wonder if this law will force owners to have their car set back to stock.

prossett
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Honda Jazz

Post by prossett » 22 Oct 2007, 11:32 pm

Well, my take is that the region's traffic authorities are under heavy pressure to shape up and reduce motorvehicle accidents, injuries and fatalities.

Statistically we are still among the most dangerous roads in the world - even though the roads themselves are actually fantastic. (not the repairs and the way cones suddenly appear! But the roads themselves)

So, having all three-lane separated roads did not reduce the deaths and injuries... hmmmm... must be those modified cars.

Unfortunately, until the Police become an effective force in issuing fines and enforcing even simple traffic rules, such as not pretending to go straight and suddenly cutting in front of everyone at the next exit, or having a 5-lane highway with everyone piled into the 2 left-most lanes and the others all empty, until that happens people with modified cars are easy targets.

The laws on modifications, repairs and what passes at the annual inspection have purposefully been designed as loose and wide-ranging as possible, so that everything and anything could potentially be called into play, if required.

We are just lucky there's so many fans of cars and automotive sports out here in high-ranking positions. Bless them all!

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 22 Oct 2007, 11:40 pm

so your saying that modded cars are the reason to traffic accidents...???

i think its just the ppl that seem to abuse there cars on public roads, risking there own safety and others...thats why there are evens like track days and autoX...

any car can be dangerous..whether its a tuned up 1000hp skyline...or a Toyota yaris (no offense to the ppl that have one) ...

its just the way you drive,your knowledge of the roads and your skill...

but yaaa...the traffic police will start from taking out the modded cars!!...thats where we get hit bad!!

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 23 Oct 2007, 12:05 am

Nah - stupid drivers are the reason for accidents - and stupidity includes carelessness, arrogance, and racing on public streets (sorry, got to say it how it is) - doesn't matter if the car is modded or not.

Actually, a modded car would most probably fair better than a stock car, or an old battered car.

Braking, steering, balance, all should be superior, and also the driver one may assume is better skilled at handling speed.

You know, compare a Nissan Patrol, lifted and on Siam tyres, barrelling down the highway at 200 kph, with any of the cars I see in the Members area, and if there's a sudden brake-and-swerve manouver, my money's on the street car to stay rubber-side down.

Still, modified cars are an easy target - visible, audible, publically expressing an interest for speed, and that's why every so often a campaign is launched to impound modified cars.

kevinsmith
UB Junior Member

Post by kevinsmith » 23 Oct 2007, 12:44 am

so true. i guess we all have to think about safety more than speed.
now if modded cars are now prime targets then i guess owners will have to disassemble their body kits. how much more for those with wide-body kits or body kits that have been permanently attached to the car?
anyway, good luck for all those with cool, modded rides.

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 23 Oct 2007, 8:26 am

Having said all this, I'm off to the inspection today, so wish me luck!!! :)

Except I don't have a cool, modded ride (just a swapped engine) so it should be alright. :D

Eleanor
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 23 Oct 2007, 5:36 pm

THESE GUYS making these STUPID rules here will never be able to See the real truth on whose making the Accidents .......
Now they are goin over the line - this is UNACCEPTABLE ........

SD -

RasHooD
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo

Post by RasHooD » 24 Oct 2007, 4:50 pm

its just that then we will have to be illegal if that is the case!!! because im not ready to give up this passion and i cant seriously... i had a crx1991 which was lowered, tinted 70% and exhaust + filter etc... and the worst part is that the registration had expired since 2005 - i still have the registration card (mulkiya) to prove that ;) and i used to drive it all over - got stopped many times but no fines luckily and now that i have an automatic integra 4 door - i got a fine today (yellow lane violation) but still a fine is a fine but i felt soooooo angry because now my car doesnt deserve fines!!!... by the way the crx was written off in a BAD accident and im missing it since then :(

im ready to go back to the good old days style and drive illegally if they ban everything that comes to their mind ;) hehe

but i dont believe this rules is going to be passed - its just not possible...

FQ400
UB Addicted Member

Post by FQ400 » 24 Oct 2007, 9:04 pm

best of luck Prosett...

what u running btw??

FQ400
UB Addicted Member

Post by FQ400 » 24 Oct 2007, 9:07 pm

Go EVO! (Y)

All the power and Turbo, and its ALL STOCK :!:

plus...it easier to get away with a larger turbo with an EVO :wink:

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 24 Oct 2007, 11:21 pm

you have an evo FQ400??..why dont you upload pics on the member gallery with specs??