Fastest ever lap time for a production sedan at Nurburgring

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 10 May 2008, 11:50 am

The Cadillac CTS-V has set the fastest lap time for a production sedan at Nurburgring:

7 minutes and 59 seconds

That also means it is faster than the M5 and any AMG sedan around the ring :D
Oh hey! That means the EVO too? :P

Finally, amreekeez can handle too!

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 10 May 2008, 9:57 pm

ohhhh wooooowww!!!
it looks beautiful, and aggressive!!! thanks for the post TNT. its time for me to go and get some research done about this babe

TNT
UB Super Member

Post by TNT » 15 May 2008, 5:51 pm

In case you needed video proof:

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1545122232

Funny how nobody commented, come on, American cars aren't all that bad! :P

Irakli
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:Altima 3.5 - Patrol LWB 04 - SWB 96

Post by Irakli » 15 May 2008, 6:44 pm

TNT wrote:In case you needed video proof:

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1545122232

Funny how nobody commented, come on, American cars aren't all that bad! :P

That car probably went to scrap after that one lap :D

RasHooD
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo

Post by RasHooD » 16 May 2008, 3:57 am

^^ lol!!! :D, just the way i think :D

RasHooD
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo

Post by RasHooD » 16 May 2008, 4:05 am

hey irakli, can lets list all the problems that commonly pop up in american cars...

lets start by -
1. Overheating :S
2. electrical
3. power steering
4. AC
5. %#%$*D axles
6. power steering (rack/pinion- leaks etc...)
7. fuel pump

yes u rarely find a broken timing belt but thats 1 advantage ;)

any more irakli? :D - and no offence TNT... :) awesome post no doubt, +1, its just that I personally dont like american cars because of some past experiences... (i know its not as bad but...)

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 16 May 2008, 4:32 am

the thing is american cars that come to the middle east arent meant for our enviroment. i no they are made to GCC specs but still there life span is only 3-4years max, after that they start to wear out...

as for the caddilac, the only one i ever liked was the escalade. i rented the older cts before, even though it was a very nice car, the materials that were used to make the car sucked. it had plastic interior that looked pretty cheap...

after checking the new cts at the auto show i saw major improvements in the quality of the parts used. i think they have done a great job at the new generations of cars. lets just hope they last as long :) .....hopfully if i get the chance il take out the cts for a test drive...should be intresting

TNT
UB Super Member

Post by TNT » 16 May 2008, 2:25 pm

Oh well, to each his own. I believe that the new gen will do pretty well compared to older models.

Accord98
Vehicle:Toyoda

Post by Accord98 » 16 May 2008, 6:16 pm

^ I agree with TNT.

All manufacturers are feeling the heat now.... Toyota is slipping, Hyundai is coming up, Fiat too and I believe that Cadillac has just hit all the right buttons !

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 16 May 2008, 6:31 pm

i am sure the cts is gonna be great :) ...

TNT
UB Super Member

Post by TNT » 16 May 2008, 7:56 pm

Accord98 put it the right way! I mean look at Hyundai's newer offerings, too good for the money though it'll take a few more years to build solid brand reputation.
Then, look at what Toyota is doing with their cars. The new Camry's interior, and all that tacky wood in the Fortuner/Innova. And even the Land Cruiser, might perform well but the exterior is plain hideous.

A few insider details of the run courtesy of Edmunds:
Yes, it's the automatic — Heinricy's run was made in a CTS-V equipped with the new six-speed automatic. More incredibly however, even though the new transmission is equipped with shift triggers on the steering wheel, Heinricy never once touches them during the run. "He's letting the computer do the shifting," one source told us. "It matches the right gears to the braking perfectly."

The manual isn't as fast — "The reason you see John wave at the beginning of the video," another anonymous source told us, "is because (ride and drive engineer) Aaron Link is right behind him in a manual-transmission CTS-V." Link, an excellent driver in his own right, simply couldn't keep up with Heinricy and throughout testing, the automatic has proven to be the hot setup for this car. "There's video of Aaron's run, and he's incredibly busy" an insider told us. "Meanwhile, John barely moves."

The run was made from a flying start — Heinricy began his lap three corners behind the start/finish line. So he was already up to speed by the time the clock started.

The CTS-V is airborne at three points in the video — The 'Ring's notorious for flinging cars up in the air and it tried to send this Cadillac into orbit as well. However the active suspension incorporating the magnetic ride shocks has been tuned to deal with precisely such launches. Because he knew the car would leap flat, fly flat and land flat, Heinricy never had to lift once during the run. "Dave Mikels is the guy behind it," our source told us, "and he's done an absolutely amazing job."

There was a roll cage in the car — For safety's sake, as well as for an anchor point for the six-point safety harnesses, there was a four-point roll cage bolted into the car. However the cage was "loose fit" and didn't add any structural heft to the car. "We didn't want to change the car's balance at all," said our hush-hush source.

Stock tires — Heinricy's run was made on production-spec Michelin Pilot Sport 2s. However, the tires were heat-cycled and scrubbed the previous evening to ensure their performance the next day.

Cool of the morning — The run was made between 7 and 8 a.m. when GM could rent the track before it was open to the public for that day's usual mix of romping and roiling. The cool of the morning may have made the track a bit quicker, but it also meant there was no chance Heinricy would come over a berm and find a stalled tour bus in front of him.

Wet sump simplicity — While the CTS-V's engine is similar to the new Corvette ZR-1's in that it's a supercharged 6.2-liter V8, it's not the exact same engine. One of the big differences is that the ZR-1 runs a dry-sump oiling system, while the Cadillac uses a conventional wet-sump oiling system. "The CTS-V simply isn't capable of the lateral loads the Corvette can generate," the source explained. "It's heavier and has smaller tires."

Burnouts 'R Us — Unrelated to the run around the 'Ring, but good to know is that epic burnouts have been part of the new CTS-V's engineering all along. In both manual or automatic transmission modes it will be possible, said our confidante, "to annihilate the tires like John Force if you want."
"For the first time ever, the world's premier performance sedan could be a Cadillac."

-Edmunds

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 16 May 2008, 11:10 pm

i think the cts-v and ls-f are gonna be the hottest cars around.....will the cts-v be avialable in the middle east???
looks like something i would definatly want to have when it comes out...but the question is how much is this babe going for???
i think toyota has done a awful job in there new generation cars. its to bad seeing there other japanese rivals take the lead with there new generation cars...like the evoX , GTR, Impreza...all amazing japanese cars...and like TNT and accord said, the next big thing will be hyundia!!!...

TNT
UB Super Member

Post by TNT » 17 May 2008, 2:50 pm

Especially with that new Genesis coupe coming up with a turbo four coupled to RWD in the base model. Could be the next 240SX (I know, a really big thing to say but nobody makes cheap RWD coupes anymore)
Chances of it coming to the middle-east are 90%. Price shouldn't be above 250k.

Neo
Vehicle:2005 Hyundai Coupe

Post by Neo » 31 May 2008, 11:55 pm

Well the SAAB tech is paying off.... Hehehe!!!
This car is completely based on SAAB....

Plus check out the corvette Z06... its a killer...

So its time they made a better sedan...

Thanx for the post... unbelievable though...

TNT
UB Super Member

Post by TNT » 01 Jun 2008, 12:13 pm

You are mistaken, it is this one that is based on a Saab :) :

While the CTS-V doesn't have a single thing even related to Saab.