Driver's License - Sharjah?

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
EclipseGSX
UB Junior Member

Post by EclipseGSX » 24 Jun 2008, 1:38 pm

Hey guys,
I am new to the UAE and about to get my residence Visa stamping. I been livin' in the states for 8 years now and I have a US Drivers license for the bast 7 years. However I am not a US citizen.

My question lies, how do i get a driver's license from sharjah? I know I have to goto the police department, but can i do a straight conversion? Or would I have to go and retake all my classes or at least some?
I have been driving a rental car on my visit visa and my US International Drivers license and it's real easy to drive here.

What do you guys suggest if I have to retake the classes or the exam? I heard that it will be months before I can get an exam date. Any suggestions?

SALSABOI
UB Senior Member

Post by SALSABOI » 24 Jun 2008, 2:17 pm

I really dont know whether you can do a straight conversion or not ..
But i do knw .. that if you can't do it and you have to start from scratch .. it's HELL! They'll give you dates after months .. they won't communicate properly and they'll fail you even when you don't make any mistakes!

Just my 2 cents ..

P.S: Did i scare you? ;-) J/k .. but stuff like this happens! =(

Rogue
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Infiniti G35 06

Post by Rogue » 24 Jun 2008, 3:17 pm

hey ... u dont have to do anything what so ever .... there is an rta office in city center go there take ur USA license and ur original passport and they'll take both n take a picture of u and withint 10 mins u can get ur UAE license ... its that simple. ...

ultrablue662
UB Dedicated Member

Post by ultrablue662 » 24 Jun 2008, 3:45 pm

As I understand it, if you are a resident, even from the US or UK, you still have to go thru the process. There are no more conversions, unless you are a GCC national.

BUt Rogue is right, stop by the place in City Center, on the basement under the donut shop (Yeah, The maps in my head are drawn by junk food stops) and ask.

Rogue
UB Advanced Member

Post by Rogue » 24 Jun 2008, 3:54 pm

I had seen an american couple do it once ... while i was trying a way to figure out where to get the money for my fines !!! Get it done before u get ur resident visa ... otherwise they might have an excuse to not gie it to u .... i think they even do it for UK licenses as well...

albertho555
UB Special Member
Vehicle:B18C Civic HB

Post by albertho555 » 24 Jun 2008, 4:26 pm

Eclipse i completely forgot, i got a temporary licence (T - with 3 months validity) when i was here on visit with the US licence. it was a straight forward over-the-counter deal. Once i got my visa stamped, it was a matter of another few minutes to get it converted to the 10 year licence.

Just go to the nearest RTA office as rules change everyday, i doubt anyone here knows the procedure as rules have changed. its wise you go there directly and find out the current rules rather than listening to "i think" "maybe" "could be" here.

EclipseGSX
UB Junior Member

Post by EclipseGSX » 24 Jun 2008, 5:21 pm

hey guys, thanks for the responses. This temporary Driver's license, I obtain from the RTA? Does RTA also do local full licenses too?
Which city center is this? Sharjah?

Rogue
UB Advanced Member

Post by Rogue » 24 Jun 2008, 7:20 pm

City Center Dubai ...

EclipseGSX
UB Junior Member

Post by EclipseGSX » 25 Jun 2008, 2:51 pm

well, I went to RTA and gettin a temporary DL (if you do not have a passport from the same country as your DL) is not possible.
:mrgreen:
Which is not logical because I have been driving for 7 years in the US, and 1 month here in the UAE on my International Drivers license. Seems I have to take 20 classes and the road test and wait maybe 3 months plus ... what a waste of time and money. They really need to reconsider their rules. The passport does not have to do anything with your driving abilities, but apparently it does. Who thinks of these things anyway? heh

Anyone know where the Sharjah traffic department is, to get a DL?

albertho555
UB Special Member

Post by albertho555 » 25 Jun 2008, 4:26 pm

I told you these rules change .. i got mine in 2005 so its much different now.

go to sharjah traffic dept and try there, maybe another set of rules there.

RasHooD
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo

Post by RasHooD » 25 Jun 2008, 4:41 pm

plus sharjah is all different... you can go to muroor, right beside central jail (any shj cabbie will kno)... you might need classes as well as the final road test...
good kuck (Y)

EclipseGSX
UB Junior Member

Post by EclipseGSX » 26 Jun 2008, 3:25 am

REMEBER:

In UAE, your passport is proof of how good of a driver you are...

albertho555
UB Special Member

Post by albertho555 » 26 Jun 2008, 6:52 am

EclipseGSX wrote:REMEBER:

In UAE, your passport is proof of how good of a driver you are...
Hahaha, so this means all US citizens are good drivers :)

G'luck with your conversion bro ... get working on it today itself as i think sharjah licencing is a time consuming matter. Goto sharjah traffic dept as Rashood said and find out the procedure asap.

EclipseGSX
UB Junior Member

Post by EclipseGSX » 26 Jun 2008, 1:32 pm

gah!went to moroor today, and after a while got to the correct person/place. I could not understand a thing the guy was saying at the counter because I think he was mixing Arabic and English while he was talkin'. I need to take someone who speaks Arabic fluently next time I go, to act as a translator and communicator

EclipseGSX
UB Junior Member

Post by EclipseGSX » 27 Jun 2008, 1:27 pm

hey guys, sharjah needs 2 things which i don't understand

Official document for proving age (Birth Certificate).
Pass Medical check-up from licensing authority.

If i don't have a birth certificate, will my passport not show proof of my age?
What is this Pass medical check-up thing and where do I get it?