Getting a drivers license in Sharjah?

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
ultrablue662
UB Dedicated Member

Post by ultrablue662 » 06 Jul 2008, 10:25 pm

Can someone tell me from start to finish how this process is for someone who has NEVER had a license ANYWHERE ever?

Where the test has to be taken, what papers are needed, what types of tests are given, and where...

RasHooD
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo

Post by RasHooD » 08 Jul 2008, 9:17 pm

for registering/starting/opening the file, you need to go to the muroor/traffic dept. with a passport copy, about 140AED and a NOC no objection certificate from the sponsor... companies for employment visa and dad for students... all the formalities, pics, forms everything can be done and arranged there, they have everything...

then you have 2 choices, either sign up for training classes with the govt institute which is just beside the muroor or the private ones in nassiriya sharjah...

govt institute holds you in waiting list for around 6 months but once you start, you dont have to wait for long for the dates and tests max 1 week... private test dates can go upto 3 months or 95 days...

i can suggest you a trainer in private, he trained me and is a nice guy... present rates are around 35-40AED an hour but i might be able to get you a discount...
i suggest private, i got my licence with a total expenditure of about 1200AED and the govt institute charges about 4000, plus the govt institute doesnt pick you up or drop you back home...

the steps are as follows for both places :

1. theory test (written)
2. garage/parking/bridge...
3. preliminary road test (sometimes taken in the muroor yard)
4. final road test (in presence of 2 policemen, on the roads near muroor)

hope that helps, please dont hesitate to call me for any other details,

050 - 3456672

cheers

p.s, i got mine from shj too and i didnt have any other licence from anywhere else before...

ultrablue662
UB Dedicated Member

Post by ultrablue662 » 19 Jul 2008, 3:01 pm

Thanks man, I was asking for my fiance, she lives in Sharjah.

Dboy
UB Junior Member

Post by Dboy » 12 Jan 2011, 4:34 pm

Hello Rashood,

I hope you are still viewing your posts. I tried to call the number you gave but it's not responding.
Could you kindly provide me with a number or contact me on my cell number 050-9362396. I've opened a file in Muroor but they've given me 6 months time to start my classes, which i don't have because my wife is pregnant and we cannot afford taxi fairs for daily errands etc.

If you can help me out in this, it'll be great.

Cheers

Dboy...

kartoos100
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:08 IS300 + 05 Civic

Post by kartoos100 » 12 Jan 2011, 5:06 pm

I believe you can now apply in any emirate for driving, not necessarily in the emirate from your visa is. So you should try and apply in Dubai. There would be very less you can do to get the time reduced in Sharjah. Else you need Waastaa

AccordTuner
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Lexus LS460

Post by AccordTuner » 12 Jan 2011, 5:32 pm

kartoos100 wrote:I believe you can now apply in any emirate for driving, not necessarily in the emirate from your visa is. So you should try and apply in Dubai. There would be very less you can do to get the time reduced in Sharjah. Else you need Waastaa
NO u cant apply any where you wish .. ...

hk20
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:2011 Nissan Tiida HB - JDM Project

Post by hk20 » 12 Jan 2011, 6:05 pm

AccordTuner wrote:
kartoos100 wrote:I believe you can now apply in any emirate for driving, not necessarily in the emirate from your visa is. So you should try and apply in Dubai. There would be very less you can do to get the time reduced in Sharjah. Else you need Waastaa
NO u cant apply any where you wish .. ...
Yes you can, its been implemented for sometime now. Now anybody can apply for license anywhere they want, not necessary to be in the emirate where their visa is. This was there in the newspapers.

RasHooD
UB Special Member

Post by RasHooD » 12 Jan 2011, 9:55 pm

^Not yet I believe, and the news paper article focused on renewals and the like. Even if it is as you said, all the emirates already run on a shared common system apart from Dubai.

WKZ
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:EP82 Starlet+Jeep Wrangler

Post by WKZ » 13 Jan 2011, 1:36 am

Dboy wrote:Hello Rashood,

I hope you are still viewing your posts. I tried to call the number you gave but it's not responding.
Could you kindly provide me with a number or contact me on my cell number 050-9362396. I've opened a file in Muroor but they've given me 6 months time to start my classes, which i don't have because my wife is pregnant and we cannot afford taxi fairs for daily errands etc.

If you can help me out in this, it'll be great.

Cheers

Dboy...
Don't expect getting the license any time soon if in Sharjah,it usually takes atleast 2-3 months if going through government and 6-8 months if private.Transfer your file to Dubai,you'll get it in a month's time!
hk20 wrote: Yes you can, its been implemented for sometime now. Now anybody can apply for license anywhere they want, not necessary to be in the emirate where their visa is. This was there in the newspapers.
Well the papers announce shit loads of new rules which are there in the books but are never really implemented here

hk20
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:2011 Nissan Tiida HB - JDM Project

Post by hk20 » 13 Jan 2011, 3:33 am

Well i said it was implemented because i came to through a friend his colleague at work who has sharjah visa transferred her Driving license file to dubai and was granted to do so.

7afe
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Lexus SC 300 5 SPD

Post by 7afe » 13 Jan 2011, 4:35 am

I got my license from dubai even tough my visa was from sharjah. All you have to do is prove RTA that you work or live in dubai. Basically just throw some papers on them and then you get a approval letter from RTA.. after that show that letter to sharjah murror and they will give you another approval letter after that you return all the documents to your driving school and then just wait for your classes to start!
:smile:

RasHooD
UB Special Member

Post by RasHooD » 13 Jan 2011, 9:58 am

^Yes that can be done even for registering cars. Provide them with an uncles or anyones tenancy contract to prove you live with him for college and stuff and they usually do approve it. That has always been so, which proves that the referred rule hasn't been implemented yet.

uaerealdeal
UB Junior Member

Post by uaerealdeal » 31 Jan 2011, 1:34 pm

Tis really a pain to get a license in sharjah... WARNING!!! in big capital letters they can fail you for any reason and very reason, the moment you sit in the car they and before even you have started the car they will start marking you mistakes if they intend to fail the entire test car...

Its all on whims and fancies of the person who is taking the test...

the best part is you cannot prove them wrong...

there is one criteria that is like the best weapon they have in their arsenal...

"Concentration during driving"

This is such a subjective category of testing that you cannot prove them wrong... as one fellow frustrated test taker who by the way failed, just mentioned... what am I sleeping during driving what do you mean by concentration during driving...

Well to all the test takers in sharjah all the best... surrender yourselves to fate and not to your driving skills...

I am sure Micheal Schumacher when taking a test with Sharjah must have gotten the same number you mistakes that you have got so take console in that fact and go on giving test...

till then... signing off...

frustrated test taker in sharjah...