Salik tag placement?

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.

Moderator: ImportFX

Dirksqjaw
UB Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: 19 Jul 2008, 3:02 pm
Vehicle: 2005 BMW 545i

Post by Dirksqjaw » 21 Jul 2008, 8:36 am

I heard that you can actually affix this to your dashboard and still be fine for the salik gates, is that true?

I hate that ugly orange thing on my windshield! :mrgreen:

I guess I could always scotch tape it there and drive through a gate and see if I get fined I guess :P.

-Dirk

User avatar
albertho555
UB Special Member
Posts: 1730
Joined: 05 Dec 2005, 6:41 pm
Vehicle: B18C Civic HB
Location: deira

Post by albertho555 » 21 Jul 2008, 11:34 am

worked for me on the dashboard .... but dont take my word for it :-) try it yourself too.

User avatar
RasHooD
UB Special Member
Posts: 2205
Joined: 04 Oct 2007, 4:10 pm
Vehicle: Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo
Location: Sharjah - UAE

Post by RasHooD » 21 Jul 2008, 2:18 pm

a friend of mine has it on his sunroof :D and many on the drivers side bottom corner of the windshield...

User avatar
Alpha
Adminstrator
Posts: 6251
Joined: 17 Apr 2006, 6:36 pm
Vehicle: RNN14 + JZZ31 + CT9A
Location: Dubai
Contact:

Post by Alpha » 22 Jul 2008, 11:40 am

albertho555 wrote:worked for me on the dashboard .... but dont take my word for it :-) try it yourself too.
!-RasHooD-! wrote:a friend of mine has it on his sunroof :D and many on the drivers side bottom corner of the windshield...
Both ways works perfectly.

Dirksqjaw
UB Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: 19 Jul 2008, 3:02 pm
Vehicle: 2005 BMW 545i

Post by Dirksqjaw » 22 Jul 2008, 12:05 pm

Sam wrote:
albertho555 wrote:worked for me on the dashboard .... but dont take my word for it :-) try it yourself too.
!-RasHooD-! wrote:a friend of mine has it on his sunroof :D and many on the drivers side bottom corner of the windshield...
Both ways works perfectly.
I love the sunroof idea, except if I happen to have it open when going through in winter... OOPS! :$

I think I'll stick with the dash board :D. I saw an merc at MoE today with a salik tag, it looked like the guy took a black marker to it or something, it was black. Not sure how he colored the sticky side though, it's an appealing thought to try and figure out though! It's the color that I find most objectionable.

-Dirk

User avatar
Eleanor
UB Special Member
Posts: 1683
Joined: 06 Jun 2006, 12:11 am
Vehicle: Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 28 Jul 2008, 3:18 am

just placing it on the dashboard - Does it get Read by the sensors ?????
so we dont have to stick tht ugly thing ????

SD -

User avatar
RasHooD
UB Special Member
Posts: 2205
Joined: 04 Oct 2007, 4:10 pm
Vehicle: Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo
Location: Sharjah - UAE

Post by RasHooD » 28 Jul 2008, 4:13 am

ah well, integra/crx/preludes can go through with their sunroof open too (as their sunroofs open upwards/outwards) :D

the tag sensors use RF (Radio Frequency) so i guess if it can pass through the windshield then it should also pass through a layer of window tint, so you can have it where your windshield is tinted. if its from the inside, just stick it onto the tint, and if the tint is outside, you have no worries :)

BTW Dirk, i hate the colour too... thats the main reason i don't have a salik tag yet! another is that I'm against the whole bullshit issue, and another is that i don't use salik roads :) Emirates road rocks (Y)

Cheers...

User avatar
Eleanor
UB Special Member
Posts: 1683
Joined: 06 Jun 2006, 12:11 am
Vehicle: Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 28 Jul 2008, 1:23 pm

hehe rashood ....
i dont have one either cauz its like a huge dead bug on the windsheild .....
but its time to get one - with these MORONS putting gates every where.... it seems even on emirates road soon.

SD -

User avatar
Sidewinder
UB Junior Member
Posts: 58
Joined: 27 Jul 2008, 4:05 pm
Vehicle: 94 Accord
Location: London

Post by Sidewinder » 28 Jul 2008, 3:16 pm

Someone I know claims you can hold it up to the windshield while driving past that Salik gate... I don't see why it wouldn't work.

a7med
UB Dedicated Member
Posts: 315
Joined: 22 Dec 2007, 3:49 am

Post by a7med » 28 Jul 2008, 5:08 pm

sidewinder wrote:Someone I know claims you can hold it up to the windshield while driving past that Salik gate... I don't see why it wouldn't work.
i did that too, I have two cars (or any damn car you drive) put it in your pocket and when you're passing just hold it up to the windsheild... all the form filling and association of cards and plate numbers is nonsense, you obviously don't need a tag for every car and bike you drive, whether yours or not.

User avatar
Alpha
Adminstrator
Posts: 6251
Joined: 17 Apr 2006, 6:36 pm
Vehicle: RNN14 + JZZ31 + CT9A
Location: Dubai
Contact:

Post by Alpha » 28 Jul 2008, 7:17 pm

a7med wrote:
sidewinder wrote:Someone I know claims you can hold it up to the windshield while driving past that Salik gate... I don't see why it wouldn't work.
i did that too, I have two cars (or any damn car you drive) put it in your pocket and when you're passing just hold it up to the windsheild... all the form filling and association of cards and plate numbers is nonsense, you obviously don't need a tag for every car and bike you drive, whether yours or not.
Interesting trick there.

Can I have your car number plate?

User avatar
SALSABOI
UB Senior Member
Posts: 418
Joined: 05 Jun 2008, 2:51 pm
Location: Ajman

Post by SALSABOI » 28 Jul 2008, 7:26 pm

Windshield .. dashboard .. sunroof! Whats going on people.
The whole RFID thing questions all the b/s about puttin the tag in place n bla bla .. I dont think that mattered ever. Coz if ts radio frequency .. you dont need to put it in a specific place .. it'll work!

After all the stuff i've read now .. i figure they just want the car to be registered with them so that they can fine it if the tag goes in through the gates with no balance in the Salik account.

I feel smarter. lol!

a7med
UB Dedicated Member
Posts: 315
Joined: 22 Dec 2007, 3:49 am

Post by a7med » 29 Jul 2008, 12:06 pm

SALSABOI wrote: After all the stuff i've read now .. i figure they just want the car to be registered with them so that they can fine it if the tag goes in through the gates with no balance in the Salik account.

I feel smarter. lol!
Interesting theory, lets say that I have no cridet in my tag, and I then walk under the gate with the tag in my pocket, would you think I'll be fined? hmmm

User avatar
Inline6
UB Dedicated Member
Posts: 210
Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 8:56 am
Vehicle: 2010

Post by Inline6 » 29 Jul 2008, 1:05 pm

I got a question that popped out of my head :) what if you riding a bike, should you place the salik tag on the helmet or if no helmet the forehead ?! :D :happy: :roll:

User avatar
SALSABOI
UB Senior Member
Posts: 418
Joined: 05 Jun 2008, 2:51 pm
Location: Ajman

Post by SALSABOI » 29 Jul 2008, 3:36 pm

a7med wrote:Interesting theory, lets say that I have no cridet in my tag, and I then walk under the gate with the tag in my pocket, would you think I'll be fined? hmmm
lol .. I like debates and you got me there mate! But question .. why would you be walking on the highway!? =P
Jokes apart .. I don't know! Its RFID = "An RFID tag is an object that can be applied to or incorporated into a product, animal, or person for the purpose of identification using radio waves. Some tags can be read from several meters away and beyond the line of sight of the reader" [Wikipedia]

But seriously .. I think someone should try this out .. *Walk* through a toll gate and see what happens! I'll do it when I get my new car if someone hasn't done it already!

Cheers!
Last edited by SALSABOI on 29 Jul 2008, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Post Reply