UAE's Racing Scene

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
ROJ
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Hyundai Coupe

Post by ROJ » 12 Dec 2009, 3:11 pm

Regarding our newmember with the RSX that asked about the racing scene in the UAE... I thought i'd give my input and see what you guys also have to say about it; especially that this forum has a divesity of people from different backgrounds and different car experiences..
I think If they give proper importance and a future for entry level motorsports in this country.. Then they will create a generation of racers that will set an example for people about how proper driving and racing should be done.. Street races will reduce as people know there are more challenging, more professional and safer ways to enjoy it... & demand on "Manual" cars will increase?!? :P Seriously, theres hope in for racing in this country.. I hope you all agree with me.. I actually wrote a report to a car magazine talking about this issue 1.5 years ago... Where i hinted and assumed that Yas island might open way for a more mature future for racing in the country.. And now i see that Autodrome will have a challenge to prove itself again since Yas is taking the spotlight..
Let me know if i said anything wrong and feel free to criticize me..

Exquisite
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:1999 Dodge Ram Sport

Post by Exquisite » 26 Dec 2009, 8:50 pm

hehe...unfortunately my only racing experience was on the streets....but will Yas Island be open for people to take their car and use the circuit? In Germany, go to Nurburgring circuit and go round for 1 lap for about 70dh...but the circuit is big, 25 km!! hopefully its open like in germany.

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:clio197

Post by kingkenny » 26 Dec 2009, 10:45 pm

autodrome has track event and race school , but the costs is high !!

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 26 Dec 2009, 11:36 pm

If the cost wasn't to high I am sure you would see many ppl racing on the track instead of on the streets.

But money is not the only concern. It's the law!!!..Many of us on this board have cars, and most of them are DD ones. There are a few fortunate ppl that can afford to have DD and track dedicated cars.

So if you want to participate in track events using your DD car then get ready to install expensive and "ILLEGAL" parts just so you can compete. Everyone knows a stock car wont do well, and will always want to upgrade. the more upgrades you do the more chances of getting your car impounded.

Tell me seriously, how many of you guys drive around paraniod because of your loud exhaust? I am here in Canada and I exit the highway if I see a cop ahead of me. Thats how paraniod I am :S ...

If the cops modified the laws like exhaust sound cannot be more then 90db, lowering cars is allowed as long as front tires don't tuck and rub against fender, and intakes are allowed then I think more ppl would feel comfortable tracking...

also the wear and tear on a track car is alot. Imagine changing your rotors and brakes every track day (or every other track day) and then go for a full tune up after that? ....

I go 3-4 times a year down here in summer time...thats more then enough track time for me :) ....

AccordTuner
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Lexus LS460

Post by AccordTuner » 26 Dec 2009, 11:47 pm

Tamu wrote:
So if you want to participate in track events using your DD car then get ready to install expensive and "ILLEGAL" parts just so you can compete. Everyone knows a stock car wont do well, and will always want to upgrade. the more upgrades you do the more chances of getting your car impounded.
i drove my accord with exhaust for 6 months got caught when i wasnt revving high :s weird before getting caught i had been driving in frnt of cops with quite loud exhaust sound :(

until u cant mod ur car like they do in japan ..
for instance
in japan u get JASMA approved exhaust which have diffrent type the SR type is street legal ..
i wish we had similar rules in uae :(

ROJ
UB Advanced Member

Post by ROJ » 27 Dec 2009, 7:52 am

Cops dont care about this... They consider it BS... They think were all crazy and insane and we dont deserve the privilege to mod our cars... & lets face it people are already crazy in their stock cars... But im putting an eye on AutoX which is "budget/newbie/no abuse" friendly race and the fact that track days are too expensive in AD... (aed 600).. It would be nice to make more way for "people's motorsports" and build a foundation for it and probably a career for any new talent coming up in such events... The problem here we have facilities but there is a lack of passion..

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 27 Dec 2009, 7:54 am

There would be more 'passion' if the fee was lesser.

ROJ
UB Advanced Member

Post by ROJ » 27 Dec 2009, 8:20 am

TNT wrote:There would be more 'passion' if the fee was lesser.
Well said... they are too over priced and I dont know if Yas would give reasonable 'real life' rates for similar events...

toleg
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:honda

Post by toleg » 27 Dec 2009, 9:28 am

i was arranging a track day for a group of friends and it will cost us 8000.aed for 1 hour in DA in club circuit, sharing with the same event.

as i've seen the motor sports in UAE is growing, but for those who got money.

not enough for budget racers.

btw the cost of radar here is almost the same as trackday :D :D

CUSTOM_RIDE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by CUSTOM_RIDE » 27 Dec 2009, 10:22 am

(
toleg wrote:
btw the cost of radar here is almost the same as trackday :D :D
(Y) haha ur rite ....

albertho555
UB Special Member
Vehicle:B18C Civic HB

Post by albertho555 » 27 Dec 2009, 11:14 am

Track days are getting so expensive, hence they should open up Jabal Hafeet for us?

Sports for beginners & low-budget racers are getting less, unless you switch to Karting.

It's sad...but this is the fact though.

I so enjoyed AutoX'ing, its a sport that we can do in a Yaris on Evo ... fun factor remains. Autodrome has now removed the AutoX from their events and focussing on big races like Touring Cars, etc.

ROJ
UB Advanced Member

Post by ROJ » 27 Dec 2009, 11:47 am

They upped its fees and the people lost interest thats why.. Now if yas makes a move about 'people's' motorsports then AD will be worried about becoming extinct and might want us to come back to their track.. This prestige thing that has to do we super pricing things should stop cuz its getting silly and were not even getting some above average services from the 1st place..

Exquisite
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:1999 Dodge Ram Sport

Post by Exquisite » 28 Dec 2009, 3:07 pm

Tamu wrote:
Tell me seriously, how many of you guys drive around paraniod because of your loud exhaust? I am here in Canada and I exit the highway if I see a cop ahead of me. Thats how paraniod I am :S ...

Haha...the same thing here....i try to avoid the cops because of the loud exhaust...but when they see me..they wont say anything or somethin...but they tell me to turn of the high beam xenon...which btw is my low beam..lol

Mr_boost
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:09 FJ + 05 Z Convertible

Post by Mr_boost » 28 Dec 2009, 3:52 pm

I too caught with my civic due to the exhaust ... And got hugeeeeeeeeeeee fine :D

But now ... my Z exhaust is built in ... Now catching is way far, they cannot even think about it to stop me .... :)

GT-T88urbo

Post by GT-T88urbo » 28 Dec 2009, 4:50 pm

The question is, what do you guys, deem reasonable. Because I bet one of Autodromes' worries would be, that every wannabe racer would show up. Which means your encouraging the sport, so more wannabes start coming, and not necessarily participating. And I remember perfectly when Tausif Agha started with AutoX, everytime the show ended, it ended with burnouts/donuts, the works and ended it with the police every where.