New Member from South Africa

New member? We appreciate a bit of introduction about yourself.
SA Laaitie
UB Junior Member

Post by SA Laaitie » 20 Feb 2011, 6:36 pm

Hi,

New member to this forum...after getting settled into dubai..i have started hunting around for a few interesting cars....unluckily though.

Had a few questions about the local racing scene...which may folks cant seem to answer.......perhaps this forum can help...

either way ...its good to finally find some fellow enthusiasts ...... :smile:

Tribal
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:G35

Post by Tribal » 20 Feb 2011, 8:18 pm

Welcome to the Forums & Dubai! 8-)

what car are you looking for?

theo_207GT
UB Junior Member

Post by theo_207GT » 21 Feb 2011, 6:57 am

SA Laaitie wrote:Hi,

New member to this forum...after getting settled into dubai..i have started hunting around for a few interesting cars....unluckily though.

Had a few questions about the local racing scene...which may folks cant seem to answer.......perhaps this forum can help...

either way ...its good to finally find some fellow enthusiasts ...... :smile:

howzit boet. which part of SA r u from? i think i might have been the only south african on the forum until now lol

SA Laaitie
UB Junior Member

Post by SA Laaitie » 21 Feb 2011, 6:00 pm

Hi Tribal

Thanks - dubai ive been frequenting for a while.....in terms of the car...quite a list but ive listed them...in preference

- Skyline GT- R34 V spec .....i know you thinking :roll: ...in terms of registering and getting it legal here....almost impossible from what i read
- Cayman S - clean 10' model low kms...well priced
- M3 E92 - cabriolet...same req as porsche above

having some issues finding the above.....but first prize is getting the SKY as a weekender.....suprisingly was at fujeirah and saw at least 8 over this weekend.trying to figure out how they are registered here.

@ Theo....straight outa jozi..... 8-) Yourself....?

real_ashwin
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Nissan Altima 2008 SE

Post by real_ashwin » 21 Feb 2011, 6:45 pm

welcome to the forums mate

theo_207GT
UB Junior Member

Post by theo_207GT » 21 Feb 2011, 8:20 pm

SA Laaitie wrote:Hi Tribal

Thanks - dubai ive been frequenting for a while.....in terms of the car...quite a list but ive listed them...in preference

- Skyline GT- R34 V spec .....i know you thinking :roll: ...in terms of registering and getting it legal here....almost impossible from what i read

having some issues finding the above.....but first prize is getting the SKY as a weekender.....suprisingly was at fujeirah and saw at least 8 over this weekend.trying to figure out how they are registered here.

@ Theo....straight outa jozi..... 8-) Yourself....?

nice 1 dude. lived all over SA, but durban before i moved here.
as for the cars, very nice list. skyline will be hard for u 2 get though, especially for registration because its so old. new rules say only the original owner can reregister a car that old...but, as with everything in this country, there is always a way around it...u just gotta know the right people.

give me an add on facebook, link to my profile is in the signature
Last edited by theo_207GT on 22 Feb 2011, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 21 Feb 2011, 8:38 pm

theo_207GT wrote:new rules say only the original owner can reregister a car that old...
Wrong info bud.

Matt
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:97 Wrx + 07 Wrx

Post by Matt » 21 Feb 2011, 8:42 pm

Welcome Broo! but yeah ANY cars that are converted RHD To LHD can only be registered by locals in RAK, UAQ Skylines, Supra's, Mark II's

Tribal
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:G35

Post by Tribal » 21 Feb 2011, 8:47 pm

SA Laaitie wrote:Hi Tribal

R34 would be tied with alot of trouble, mostly legal problems.. Registration/ getting pulled over for no reason, etc etc... unless you have it rak/fuj registered and you never enter the cities lol

As for the Porsche and the BM, check out the Dealerships at Al Awir used car market, I'm sure you'll be able to find something there.

G'luck :smile:

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 21 Feb 2011, 11:00 pm

Don't even think of going to the Awir Rip-off Market.
Best bet for the M3 and Cayman is dubizzle.com, you are bound to find one by a private seller in good condition.

CaL][CaB
UB Senior Member

Post by CaL][CaB » 21 Feb 2011, 11:41 pm

As long as the gtr is a us spec it's all good man...I know a couple ppl with r34s who have registered on their names...about gettin pulled over by the coppers..depends where u driving :p the new Dubai side it's all good man...

theo_207GT
UB Junior Member

Post by theo_207GT » 22 Feb 2011, 3:22 am

the other problem with something old such as a skyline is insurance...so keep that in mind.
also, maintaining such an old car is a %#%$ and a half. the only garage i would recommend taking a skyline to would be sub-zero. theres an aussie guy there who is famous in australia for building stupidly powerful skylines, so he'll get the car sorted no matter what the problem is.

why not buy something like a scoobie or evo?

AccordTuner
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Lexus LS460

Post by AccordTuner » 22 Feb 2011, 8:10 am

CaL][CaB wrote:As long as the gtr is a us spec it's all good man...I know a couple ppl with r34s who have registered on their names...about gettin pulled over by the coppers..depends where u driving :p the new Dubai side it's all good man...
skylines never came US spec

its not issues registering skyline on your name , you just need .... :wink:

CaL][CaB
UB Senior Member

Post by CaL][CaB » 22 Feb 2011, 8:33 am

Point!!! I'm stuck with supras in my head!! Sorry dawg!!

theo_207GT
UB Junior Member

Post by theo_207GT » 22 Feb 2011, 8:52 am

AccordTuner wrote:
CaL][CaB wrote:As long as the gtr is a us spec it's all good man...I know a couple ppl with r34s who have registered on their names...about gettin pulled over by the coppers..depends where u driving :p the new Dubai side it's all good man...
skylines never came US spec

its not issues registering skyline on your name , you just need .... :wink:
:wink: meaning "wasta" (connections)