The chick magnet!

The area to post your car/bike pics and specs.
Post one car/bike per Topic.

Moderator:Accord98

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 29 Jun 2012, 2:39 pm

So living in the desert I decided a 4x4 of some sort is long overdue. Needed something to have fun in the dunes.

SHORT VERSION:

I am gay and bought a purple Hyundai!

LONG VERSION:

Back home I was I big fan of the zooks. The problem/fun with the zooks though is you have to thrash them well past the point they scream for you to stop to really have a good time. They are very maneuverable, fun and capable if you give it to them hard. Therefore manual is a must. Parts are cheap which make things easy also.

However here in Dubai they are kind of rare, not soo cheap, parts also not soo cheap because they are rarer. You can find vitara's but forget finding a sierra for a good price. They are more of a classic here. The Vitara's are also 90% auto big problem for that style of 4x4. But I did want that SWB fun type of 4x4 so the search was on.

Seriously considered a wrangler. They are a little cheaper than Australian prices, but still not cheap due to being popular. Cheaper ones are most likely hacked.

Positives are:
Cool look/image, capable and fun. Easyier to find in manual.

Negatives are:
Most have had a bit of a beating, Not cheap, Dodge make the most unreliable cars ever.

Really wanted a SWB GU patrol.
Positives:
4.8L petrol makes good power
Capable
Reliable, Cheap parts

Negitives
Dubai's Jap Tax. They are not cheap due to being so popular.

Considered a cherokee as well for a while. They are 1/3 to 1/4 as cheap as a wrangler and very common. After driving one and reading up on how paper thin axles are decided only if a really good one came up cheap. I know it would turn into a 1uzfe project aswell and never get driven.

I decided I would consider the idea of a Hyandai Galloper. They are basically a rebadged Pajero. I think nine2nines thread on his shorty first made me consider it.

They seamed to tick all the boxes.
Strong driveline
Strong chasis for the dunes
Not totally gutless motor
Some tune-ability
Not quite a zook, but still small and light enough to be fun.
Being Korean shit they avoid the jap tax.
Bigger on the inside than they suggest. Will seat 4 comfortably.

After some time searching Dubizle the one I bought showed up.
Was pretty well looked after. Owned by chicks its whole life.
Manual (was a bonus as was willing to buy an auto being a v6)
Diff lock.
No noises in 4x4 mode
Plate for sump and petrol tank. Can either remove for weight loss or keep it as protection.
The only thing I wasn't so happy about is it has electric mirrors and windows.
And the big one...cheap! Was 8000aed. Its pretty hard to find any manual 4x4 under that.

Anyway here are some pics of the ugly pos on a small dune round the corner from my unit.

Last edited by UAE NEWBIE on 29 Jun 2012, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 29 Jun 2012, 2:41 pm

So if anyone else here wants to go out on the weekend Just shoot a pm or leave a msg here

Makoy
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Post by Makoy » 30 Jun 2012, 12:52 am

hey it doesnt look bad at all, body and paint seem ok, like you said engine is great,.. for what you wanted to do its a real bargain ! but how is the AC? I hear hyundai cars and suvs have been plagued with problematic AC and engine heating problems .. (that is if that is an import from Korea if its GCC specs man you really where lucky :) )

Well i think AC will be a easy fix, since you can stick in a pajero or land cruiser used compressor from sharja and bring winter time in your suv in the middle of summer :) ( but ofcourse ask your mechanic if that is possible first LOL

Nice catch happy dune bashing !

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 30 Jun 2012, 10:08 am

Makoy wrote:hey it doesnt look bad at all, body and paint seem ok, like you said engine is great,.. for what you wanted to do its a real bargain ! but how is the AC? I hear hyundai cars and suvs have been plagued with problematic AC and engine heating problems .. (that is if that is an import from Korea if its GCC specs man you really where lucky :) )

Well i think AC will be a easy fix, since you can stick in a pajero or land cruiser used compressor from sharja and bring winter time in your suv in the middle of summer :) ( but ofcourse ask your mechanic if that is possible first LOL

Nice catch happy dune bashing !
Yeah paint and body are good (for now lol)

It already a pajero compressor so the ac is ice cold!

I have heard the heads are very thin cast alloy so I always keep and eye on the temp. But giving it the beans on a 45deg day with air on on doesn't get the temp moving, so very happy about that

Makoy
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Post by Makoy » 30 Jun 2012, 11:11 am

Yeah man ! (Y)

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 13 Feb 2013, 10:37 am

Well blew the engine in this recently. :|

7afe
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Lexus SC 300 5 SPD

Post by 7afe » 14 Feb 2013, 2:56 am

How long have you had it? mileage?

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 21 Feb 2013, 8:25 pm

Just over half a yeah. Milage was pretty low. 130,000kms i think.

I am not angry about it, Just have to decide what to put in there now