My 97' Toyota Chaser JZX100 (from Australia)

The area to post your car/bike pics and specs.
Post one car/bike per Topic.

Moderator:Accord98

1JZChaser
UB Junior Member

Post by 1JZChaser » 05 May 2009, 7:36 pm

Hello from down under :)

This is my pride and joy here in Australia. Was imported from Japan. Soon after that I bought her. Its a 97 Chaser with the 1JZGTE VVTi engine and its auto (sadly) which i had to go for as im also a family man with a little daughter so needed it to be practical and stealthy but still be able to have fun when i needed to.

Mechanically it is A1 and had only 60000 genuine Ks on it. It came with all the usual factory options such as:

- Auto HID headlights
- 7 speaker sound system
- Factory Tourer V Kit
- 4 Airbags
- Carbon Fiber trim
- etc etc

But never came with the optional torsen LSD nor the dvd/nav system. Everything was completely stock, only mods were:

- Blitz FATT
- Trust panel filter
- Apexi N1 cat-back
- Bridgstone NPG coilovers
- 17in Rays Volk GT-A's

A few pics:

Hanging with some mates. Mines the one on your left:

Some pics at my first local meet. Im on the farthest right side after the 2 white chasers:

Moving on, the next mod was a custom made 3in dump with Magnaflow cat to complete the exhaust. Took it down to RE Customs for a power run.

170rwkw (230rwhp) at just under 13psi. Not too bad for a stock car with only a 3in turbo-back exhaust. I also had the resonator removed in the exhaust making it free flow but kept the cannon on the end. Which means theres really nothing to muffle the sound out, except for the single cannon. Car was loud :)

So moving on, couldnt get enough so next mods were:

- HPI Inter Cooler
- GReddy EMU
- Gizzmo MSIBC (boost controller)

Now that i had engine management i needed a tune so took it to Status Tuning (the workshop where all my installation and tuning is done) and it made 191rwkw (256rwhp) on 14psi (i asked for my tunes to be done for drivability and response, not outright power).

Sorry i dont have a dynosheet for that figure.

But I took it down to Calder Drag Speedway a few weeks later and did a best ET down the quarter mile with a 13.2@104mph (167kmh) with a 60' time of 1.95s. Soon after that i bought a Walbro 280Lph 500hp fuel pump and sent it back again for another tune on the dyno, this time i tuned for 15psi and got 203rwkw (272rwhp).

Unfortunately the stock turbo had reached its efficiency end and would not make anymore power not matter what i did or how much boost i increased.

Not until January this year, coming out of an intersection i gunned it BOOM! turbo was gone. All i saw was a cloud of white smoke. Checked the boost controller and boost had spiked from 15psi to 21psi. Way too much for the stock ct15b turbo to take.

The car was off the road for almost 6weeks and as sad as it was i took it as the perfect opportunity for an upgrade in turbo :D but i also wanted to keep the stock low mount layout (for legal reasons) so i got me:

- HKS GT2835Pro Turbo 0.63 rear housing
- HKS split dump pipe
- Apexi front pipe (de-cat)
- Custom alloy intake w/ Gracer Airinx pod
- Turbosmart BOV
- PE 800cc injectors

I chose this turbo because i wanted street response more than blown out power because theres no place to go over here, speed limits are 40 & 60 over here not to mention all the traffic lights and cameras and cops.

Now the good news is the car was all setup fine and tuned on the dyno. Preliminary tuning started @ 17psi and hit 262-265rwkw (350-355rwhp) a number of times. But then things started getting hot and power figures started dropping, naturally since theres heaps of heat soak.

But then those figures didnt come easy... apparently the emanage ultimate couldnt take the new setup/power. Anything over 240rwkw and the emanage started to play up. He tried everything to go round it, even tried tuning it from scratch nearly 10 times but the emanage refused to be tuned!

Dyno sheets (this is with an untuned emu):

So on 17psi it makes 257.5rwkw (345rwhp). The first initial runs, as i mentioned earlier on, saw 262-265rwkw (350-355rwhp) but had to be dialed back down because of the emu and its ghey behavior, so 257 it is. Im now running on 15psi and making 232rwkw (311rwhp).

The second graph shows my afr's (air/fuel ratios) are lower then usual (should be around 11.8-12) and trying to lean it out any further caused pinging (will get that sorted out later). But boost holds steady and strong all the way to redline 7300rpm.

End of the day im happy with the setup and power its making atm. Its frustrating having it stall in the middle of traffic everytime i start or stop but I found out what can fix this problem, a HKS EIDS (electronic idle stabiliser) but im actually buying a GReddy 3bar map sensor instead and getting rid of that crappy afm (airflow meter) altogether. Then its back once again to the workshop for a complete road and dyno tune.

Ill be tuning for 15psi (for daily), 18psi (for when i have an itch) and 21psi (for track). Stay tuned for new results coming soon within the coming weeks :D

Thanks for reading my boring intro, hope you like it.

Cheers
Last edited by 1JZChaser on 29 Dec 2009, 8:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

GT ST@RLET
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:lexus ls400

Post by GT ST@RLET » 05 May 2009, 11:19 pm

thats great
u lucky u have this model of the chaser over there
u have very nice street monster
good luck and welcome to our fourm
EH@B

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 05 May 2009, 11:26 pm

Only reason I envy RHD countries: JDM Spec cars.
You've got a nice ride, take good care of her (Y)

Rogue
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Infiniti G35 06

Post by Rogue » 06 May 2009, 1:03 am

welcome on board hope u have a good time ...liked ur ride man ... looks like u've worked sensibly on it ...good luck

hk20
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:2011 Nissan Tiida HB - JDM Project

Post by hk20 » 06 May 2009, 6:27 am

Neat Ride. Good Work. Drive Safe and Best of Luck with the project (Y). Welcome to the UB Clan.

1JZChaser
UB Junior Member

Post by 1JZChaser » 06 May 2009, 8:03 pm

Thanks fellas, i appreciate the kind comments :)

Ya i noticed that not many speak about the chaser maybe because there are'nt any on that side of the world?? I know that a couple of Mark II's have made their way into Oman but no one there knows what the Chaser is.

Its a very popular car in the drift/circuit world of Japan and has positively mad its way into Australias drift scene. Infact its still such a new car here that cops havent cracked down on them yet simply because they dont know what it is! lol. Here, if you own a Skyline, Silvia, Supra, Evo or STi you are automatically flagged down by cops no matter what you do and we have some very strict laws when it comes to imports and modifications.

1JZChaser
UB Junior Member

Post by 1JZChaser » 06 May 2009, 8:15 pm

Ive been taking care of her like my second wife. Is hand washed, using only the most decent products money can buy, and vacuumed every week.

I must admit though, that it was never really my plan to go down the power route first. I wanted to tackle the suspension and handling aspect first because the factory 1JZGTE VVTi is quite powerful in stock form is regarded as one of the most predictable handling cars hence why its used so widely in pro drift series around the world.

The Chaser's Achilles heel is its brakes, they were never made for anything more than city driving and fade quickly after 2-3 laps. So once stall/idle issue is sorted ill be investing in these within the coming months:

- Big brake option, possibly TRD or Tom's 6/4 pot brakes and Maltech braided lines.
- Kaaz 2-way LSD
- Lenso Project D drift wheels
(F 18x9 +29 w/ stretched 225/40 tyres and -1.5 degree camber)
(R 18x10 +22 w/ stretched 245/40 tyres and -3 degree camber)

Hope to have these by end of this year:

- URAS FRP Monkey Magic kit
- Cusco f&r tower braces
- Cusco f&r sway bars
- Kazama solid mount diff bushes
- URAS Adjustable f&r camber/toe arms
- URAS pineapples
Last edited by 1JZChaser on 31 May 2009, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jamool
UB Addicted Member
Vehicle:Mark II Chaser - Jeep Wrangler

Post by Jamool » 23 May 2009, 9:51 pm

Nice one bro, i got a '93 Chaser ;)
I think yours would look better if it gets bigger rims.

Take care of it bro :)

1JZChaser
UB Junior Member

Post by 1JZChaser » 28 May 2009, 9:14 pm

Cheers mate, so its the twin turbo 1jzgte? chaser or markii? and what have you done to it so far?

Lenso Project D drift wheels
(F 18x9j off+29 stretched Yokohama Advan 225/40 with about -1.5 degree camber) will need to pull guards about 5mm
(R 18x10j off+22 stretched Yokohama Advan 245/40 with about -3 degree camber) will need a roll and pull/flare guards by 6-8mm

I should be getting these soon inshallah
Last edited by 1JZChaser on 31 May 2009, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

.Zohair
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:Mazda 6 [2005-Silver]

Post by .Zohair » 28 May 2009, 9:19 pm

Neat and clean ride mate! Good luck racing it on the streets.

1JZChaser
UB Junior Member

Post by 1JZChaser » 30 May 2009, 6:01 am

.Zohair wrote:Good luck racing it on the streets.
Haha cheers buddy, thanx for the kind comment.

Racing it on the street? no chance here mate. Very strict laws and if your caught and especially as non citizen you are F***Kt!! That being said, boys will always be boys we pull it off on the street and hope we dont get caught.

I get alot of rice (skylines, silvias, commodores & falcons) who try to race me and wooooh do they get a surprise. I get stopped at the end of the traffic lights to ask what the hell have i done to my camry?!! (our cars look like they'd come out of the camry family, but are often mistaken for the 96-2000 BMW 7series for their design cues).

Whenever i get asked what it is im just like ya mate its a camry but exclusive to Japan only, call it a glorified camry haha).

But the good thing is that here in Oz, the government and cops get involved in the scene and setup legal off street drags and trackdays for our pleasure in a bid to stop ppl racing on public roads.

1JZChaser
UB Junior Member

Post by 1JZChaser » 29 Dec 2009, 7:16 am

Salam everyone,

Been a while since i last posted in the forum, so much has happened and changed. Ill get to that afterwards though but first i need to ask a question. I want to bring my car back with me and need some advice.

-Will i be able to bring it back to Dubai?

-Is there any sort of rule that says anything about how old a car can be before it can be brought in?

-If it can be brought in, is there any sort of process that includes inspection of the car and getting the car to meet middle eastern design rules or something like that? because here in Oz any imported car must go through compliancing which means the car is inspected and things are changed so that it meets Oz rules and regulations...

-What are the rules about driving the car with the steering wheel on the right?

-And where can i go and get a steering wheel conversion done from left to right?

Cheers and any help from you shabab will be greatly appreciated.

Exquisite
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:1999 Dodge Ram Sport

Post by Exquisite » 29 Dec 2009, 8:10 am

^ I think ur car should no older than 15 years to register it, except if its a classic...but i think they removed this rule

and about the right steering, its nearly impossible to register it in RHD except if u wanna keep it for the tack...also if ur exhaust is loud, they will ask u to remove it..or after u register the cops will stop u...it really depends if ur lucky then u can keep the exhaust

1JZChaser
UB Junior Member

Post by 1JZChaser » 29 Dec 2009, 8:27 am

Well the car is 12yrs old now.

I know it wont be able to be registered while its RHD thats why i ask if anyone would know where i could get the conversion done and about those design rules and regs if they exist in Dubai

Where can i get this sort of info from? i searched all over google but came up with alot of nothing!

I really want to bring it back with me and dont have alot of time here, if i cant get any info then sadly ill have to miss out and sell it here and at a very big loss, ive spent alot of $$$ on it :(

Exquisite
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:1999 Dodge Ram Sport

Post by Exquisite » 29 Dec 2009, 9:11 am

^i dont know much...just wait for the guys to reply