Feb 29th DRIVING SKILL MEET

Announcements and discussions regarding members' meets.
nuttyprincess
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:06 GT Mustang-11 F150-14 CBR 250R

Post by nuttyprincess » 12 Feb 2008, 11:55 pm

youd rarely find some smart person hehe but yup chances are deffinitely there someone would do that. :wink:

usaf23
UB Special Member
Vehicle:2016 Jeep SRT

Post by usaf23 » 13 Feb 2008, 12:27 am

global village parking lot would be perfect but its on...craap..
hmm..wonderland parking lot ??
the academic cityparking lot has camera and the security their is srict..ive seen police cars..rta cars coming there every now and the:@
there is this parking huge space uaslly empty...bhend Grand Abu Shagra cafe pn al maktoume street near etisalat..that parking is for the economic dept and on a holiday its deserted...

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 13 Feb 2008, 3:23 am

guys doing the driving skill meet might be illegal!!!..and if busted you guys can get hefty fines and maybe pounded cars!!!...maybe you should do a little research before you go forward with this, bcoz it is public property you guys want to do this on ...

even if your not hurting anyone and its away from public, the police can fine you for promoting street racing...so check the laws and see if its actually gonna work!!!

prossett
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Honda Jazz

Post by prossett » 13 Feb 2008, 7:48 am

Coming back to the original idea, the course is one to test the skill of the driver in precisely manouvering his/her car and placing the wheels just right at extremely slow speeds - there is no way it can be interpreted as racing: no speed, no burning rubber, no revving - total precision.

Using rope, chalk, some buckets, and some planks of wood, the idea is to draw out a very tight track full of obstacles that basically is almost impossible to drive through even at walking speed.

Imagine this: you start with two long pieces of rope laid out on the ground, one on each side of your car, and barely wide enough so that tyres are a couple of inches away. The ropes turn left and right, and if you touch the rope with any tyre, you get penalized.

After 5-6 metres of this crazy rope, you meet a circle drawn with chalk, with an empty bucket in the middle - you need to drive a complete circle without touching the chalk lines or the bucket.

Then you have to reverse up two planks of wood lying on the ground, so that all your tyres are up on the wood... etc., etc.

It is an obstacle course which requires perfect precision driving, no speed, no revving; and, complete safety. Can you imagine the set-up? It's like a crazy golf for cars, or a giant maze... something like that.

The planks of wood should be minimum 2cm thick, and max 30cm wide, of any length. Thanks so much Nutty and Eleanor and usaf23 and Tamu - you guys rock! 8) (Y)

The parking lots described sound good - but the smaller ones are better, not the big ones.

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 13 Feb 2008, 9:11 am

i got the initial idea PR, i was just wondering if it was legal..
if you guys think so then great go for it, bcoz it is something i wish i can be able to participate in :)
so lets do this already!! 8)

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 13 Feb 2008, 9:49 am

Actually, I should thank you for pointing that out, Tamu :$ I just thought the original idea was being forgotten and so I responded to that - it is of course very important that we question all possibilities.

I think that "reckless" driving is the problem, and I support the Police who intervene to stop reckless, dangerous driving, especially in public streets. I had a buddy who killed a young boy long time ago, by just driving too stupid fast in a residential area.

So, a meet in a public parking lot is totally legal, as long as there's no speed, or skidding around, or spinning tyres, or loud revving. All of these things we won't do.

I would prefer the parking lot to be away from major roads, simply because if a patrol passes by and notices a group of talent, they might come over to have a better look at what we're doing, already suspecting that we're planning to race. That's the only reason. We had meets in public where the cops did pass by, saw that we were parked and behaving properly, an just nodded and moved on without stopping.

If they see our obstacle course, they will be curious, but it's not illegal to drive around slowly in a parking lot, so I think we'll be fine. 8)

RasHooD
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo

Post by RasHooD » 14 Feb 2008, 3:51 pm

very sensible^^ (Y)

WKZ
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:EP82 Starlet+Jeep Wrangler

Post by WKZ » 15 Feb 2008, 1:49 am

PR Don't you think a wood of min. 2 cm thickness would be really weak to resist half the weight of a car?
Anyway, I understood the kind of wood you want and there are alot of buildings being constructed in my neighbourhood so if a few of us could gather up here we can create Sam's 11 with you as our Pitt :D ! I'll definitely get hold of some planks if I have any in sight.

Nutty:Your Starlet's looking good but a few more pics in the members gallery would be much better!

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 15 Feb 2008, 8:14 am

Thanks WKZ! 8) 2cm plank of wood should be fine, don't worry.

Hey, I think we need to move on checking out the place - I'll be in Dubai tomorrow (Saturday) and can check out this academic city parking lot, and maybe the Gusais one if I get directions.

Anybody want to have lunch? Tell me when and where (not dinner) - I'll need to get back after lunch.

nuttyprincess
UB Senior Member

Post by nuttyprincess » 15 Feb 2008, 8:20 pm

thanks wkz....sorry i havent put up more pics i guess iv been too lazy to upload more pix of the car...inshallah youl get to see it at the coming meet...well prosett if you want to check out the ghusais parking...give me a call and ill guide you....

about lunch i dont mind :D im most probably free

Eleanor
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 16 Feb 2008, 12:31 am

kool u can make it...
about coming to academic parking lot - i dont think u could b confused, as u come down from the Al Ain road..and as u drive towards Dubai, u are sure to pass the Outlet mall on your left, u keep driving down after tht, and there will be a Huge sign board that says "Academic city" (right turn)... after u do that, 2nd roundabout right, as u drive on ur left there would be the huge college buildings at at the end of them is the huge parking lot i was talking about.as u keep driving ull get to the 3rd roundabout where u take a U-Turn.... then 1st right, drive to the end to the 4th roundabout and a U-Turn again, after u do that keep driving n take the 2nd right into the parking lot.

i forgot to mention again, there is another parking lot behind the Campus.its pretty Huge and i think the obstacle race should be done there.its away from Public and away from the road - of any passing by cops or whtever....

to get there : after the 4th roundabout , u take the 1st right n keep driving down,ull see a huge parking lot on ur Left again. after ur done viewing tht take a u-turn from there n drive bak to the right turn u took to get there.after tht, the Next right is the other parking lot.

i think this is a bit complicating..... but hope u got it.let me try n make this easy - straight foward

try doing this exactly after u take the right to go to academic city from AL Ain road.

1st roundabout straight - 2nd roundabout Right - 3rd roundabout U-Turn - 1st right - next Roundabout U-Turn - 1st right (behind campus parking lot) - 2nd right (main campus parking lot).... lol - confused ??? :D :D

try n take a look when u come down from Al Ain as it will b closer for u and on the way ..... let me know mister Prosett ....

SD -

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 16 Feb 2008, 4:29 pm

Nutty, too bad we didn't hook up for lunch - next time! 8) You sure made me hungry thinking about Indian food!!! LOOOL What I meant by grand symphony orchestra is that a western dish pretty much has one taste, but Indian is an explosion of different tastes all playing together, like a symphony orchestra! :D (Y)

Eleanor, excellent directions, mate!

OK, surveyed and found location - we are ready to start getting members signed up.

Location is perfect, far from passerbys, easy to get to, will be empty, and just perfect (except no street lighting... hmmm, must do in daylight)

Sam, can we get the Feb 29th DRIVING SKILL MEET announced and start the sign-ups?

What I propose is similar format to the Al Ain DRIVE and MEET, where the DRIVE part is on invitation only, and the MEET will be later at another location nearby and open to all.

DRIVING SKILL: 4pm Feb 29th (location secret)
MEET: 8pm Feb 29th (Academic City, American College in Emirates parking lot: enter from Al Ain-Dubai hwy, 2nd r/a right, u-turn, 1st right, see it on left, u-turn again)

Eleanor
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 16 Feb 2008, 8:36 pm

Glad u liked the Spot ... hope u didnt get lost around there - pretty confusing

so Feb29th it is....

SD -

nuttyprincess
UB Senior Member

Post by nuttyprincess » 16 Feb 2008, 11:40 pm

yup i got the idea when you mentioned grand symphony ...had one thought on my mind "August Rush "i wonder if you have seen the movie....

anyways glad we got a location ...inshallah will see you all there

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 17 Feb 2008, 8:39 am

Plus, when good people send good-will in support, the results can often be surprising - I'm happy to say that we have prizes!!! 8)

Yellow Hat, the new car enthusiast retail store in Times Center, http://www.yellowhat.ae , will provide the following prizes to support our club event (installation not included):

1. Alpine CD Player

2. Staun Tyre Deflators

3. 20L Jerry Can

I'll announce properly once we get the sign-ups going! 8) (Y)