Feb 29th DRIVING SKILL MEET

Announcements and discussions regarding members' meets.
prossett
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Honda Jazz

Post by prossett » 20 Jan 2008, 9:21 am

UPDATE:

Good fun, nice people, some crazy driving!!! 8)

First of all, the happy winners with their prizes, generously supported by Yellow Hat:

For the DRIVE, we parallel parked into the tighest of spaces that even our resident Kerama pro Ribur couldn't get in; we drove through a minefield of our Nutty shopping professional's bags; we slalomed in reverse; we even drove blindfolded!!!

Overall a bit bizarre, actually pretty difficult tests of driving precision, and definitely fun!

Nice to meet new friends, and great to link up with some old ones. Nutty really is Nutty, in the best way possible!! (Y) :D

The MEET:

MEET Fri Feb 29th at 8PM in Dubai Academic City (location in Academic City, American College in Emirates parking lot: enter from Al Ain-Dubai hwy, 2nd r/a right, u-turn, 1st right, see it on left, u-turn again)

DRIVE Fri Feb 29th at 4PM (by invitation only)

PLEASE REGISTER

Read through thread for details on DRIVE and the available prizes!

The idea is as follows:

The MEET part of the event will be park and chat; as always with uaeboost MEETs absolutely no racing or engine revving.

The DRIVE part of the event, on invitation only, will be a very technical skill-based precision-driving obstacle course. This means a very very tight and slow course, where the driver must accurately place his wheels to successfully complete it.

Key for this to work will be two-fold:

One, we need the parking lot. Out of sight, not too big, and empty. Where?

Two, we need to limit the possibility of speed - it has to be really really slow, completely focusing on precision. That means plenty of difficult obstacles. We'll need planks of wood, bricks, buckets, rope, chalk, stuff like that to build the course.

It should be something like crazy tight turns, get your right wheels on the plank, then squeeze through in reverse, then a complete 360 at full turn, then up the planks to cross the curb, then reverse-park into the most difficult corner, and so on... no speed = safety 8)

To make it fair to every car, we can measure each car's width and move some obstacles on that basis. So if you have a Smart Car, the course gets narrower, and if you have an H2 the course gets wider. That would be fair, otherwise the smaller cars will have too much advantage.

We'll also need to limit the number of participants on the DRIVE part - while the MEET is open to all.

I may have some good news about prizes, too, but I'm going to need to see how many members and friends will attend.

Also, as I said in the other thread, I'll offer to host this next MEET and DRIVE but this can't be a one-man show; despite my energy and goodwill, it won't last, for sure. It needs to be a cooperative club-based initiative - then it is healthy and we can go longterm.

So start thinking about the MEET after this one :wink: and find me an abandoned or empty parking lot... I know one in Al Ain, but let's have the MEET someplace else...

Your comments and suggestions welcome!
Last edited by prossett on 01 Mar 2008, 9:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

Eleanor
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 23 Jan 2008, 12:15 am

well im gonna make this meet for sure. i just hope its after the 24th of feb. im gonna be working till then, but whats the majority votes for ?

ill offer to help you out PR with whtever equipments u need.ill try n get whatever i can, whtever i am capable to get.tell me wht i can help out with.

parking lot ? ill think of some. theres one near my place in jebel ali- but its really small - after setting up the tires n stuff - there wouldnt be space to race around.ill get some more info on whereabouts n get here.

SD -

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 23 Jan 2008, 8:46 am

Thanks Eleanor - that's the club spirit!!! (Y)

Small parking lot is good for what I have in mind. We won't need tires because there won't be speed - we just need rope, chalk, plastic bags and 4 planks of wood.

See if you can spot 4 planks of wood, I've got all the rest. The wood should be strong enough to carry the weight of the car... :!:

We'll organize it for Feb 29th, what do you think? 8)

Eleanor
UB Special Member

Post by Eleanor » 23 Jan 2008, 2:01 pm

Perfect -

i will look around the house and places iv not been before at - lol for wood planks....
may i ask why does a car have to be on it ? u got some Plans up ur sleeve ? :D
everyone loves surprises...
what Height u looking for - in those planks ? just a little above the ground level ?

SD -

nuttyprincess
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:06 GT Mustang-11 F150-14 CBR 250R

Post by nuttyprincess » 24 Jan 2008, 11:38 pm

i got loootss of plastic bags if you want some , and i can ask my bf if he can help out with the wood planks...29th sounds good...i should be able to make it to the meet for once this time as long as it starts somewhere mid afternoon and isnt that far :wink:

well theres a parking lot near my house, should be free on friday, im not sure if any of you have seen it in ghusais, its when you come down the road from al mullah and pass union coop, just before Eppco+ KFC you will see a medium square parking lot on your right.

By the way for the wood planks....how many feet should it be and whats the width????

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 09 Feb 2008, 9:24 pm

OK, let's get this one organized.

I agree should be in or near Dubai / Sharjah (we've had two Al Ains in a row, and it seems like in March we'll be hunting scrap in Abu Dhabi) - Nutty princess, the parking lot is empty on Fridays, which is great - is it by a main road or kind of far from people noticing? We'll be real slow so there won't be revving engines or squealing tyres of any kind, just visibility to worry about...

Wood planks should be wide enough to hold the weight of 1/2 a car, so not plywood - proper wood planks, like the construction workers stand on. Length doesn't matter, can be real short, can be long. Basically they will be used to make bridges up to the curb and back down.

Eleanor, you still ready to help out with this one?

What we'll do is a couple of hours before the time we'll meet up and prepare the obstacle course - it's got to be difficult, it's got to be tight, and it's got to be adjustable for different vehicles.

I'm working on some very nice prizes, but we're going to have to see turn-out otherwise the prizes will soon dry up!

nuttyprincess
UB Senior Member

Post by nuttyprincess » 10 Feb 2008, 11:11 pm

Well the car park its not that close to the main road but yes its on the side.....iv been on the look out for planks, my bf did show me some but i wasnt happy with the result so i dint bother with it,...but will still keep looking.

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 11 Feb 2008, 10:07 pm

So in your judgement, is it suitable for our meet there? Don't worry, I'm just asking so I can come check it out before anyways.

afnan740
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:2008 Evo X GSR
Location:Abu Dhabi - UAE, Lahore - Pakistan, Brisbane - Australia

Post by afnan740 » 11 Feb 2008, 11:24 pm

man i wuld luv to join but i dunno jack abt places in dubai......if sum1's goin from AD den im sure i will b thr....:D.....so is thr neone goin frm AD????

Eleanor
UB Special Member

Post by Eleanor » 12 Feb 2008, 10:26 pm

sorry PR ...

wasnt here for a few days...a bit busy.
YES i am in this to help u out.

im in ghusais for a few days, so ill take a look if there is any wood planks in sharjah as its real close by.
PR if u could put up a pic of any type of wood - atleast close to wht ur looking for - would be a good help for me. cauz im sure ill find these specific peices in diff shops,garages.... so put up somthing tht looks like wht u want.
sorry i was away ...

i was at the EMSF autocross some time back.watched albertho drive there, its at the jebel ali go kart race track. would there be any way to rent that out ? that track is perfect. Small,Safe n just right.ill try to ask around.

Albertho - ???????????????

to end this- PR put up a pic of wht you looking for. im in all the way....

SD -

Eleanor
UB Special Member

Post by Eleanor » 12 Feb 2008, 10:33 pm

PR is this skill meet still working out ????

i go to this place everyday - n i dont even mention it....
Academic City parking LOT - this place is perfect for a meet.... its BIG,Usully Empty- .....

if ur looking for a parking lot to create it into a race track map, this place is perfect, i dont think u would have to worry about shaping the track.theres these roads just near our college, which is always BARE(not a soul), it drives all around here and there with perfect turns n everything.
i cant explai, but u have to see it for urself. i think ull love this Area.cauz i sure do....not tried anything there, but it seems perfect for this kind of meet and any more meets to come......

let me know if u need pics of the roads....ill try to take some out n put it up here.....

SD -

nuttyprincess
UB Senior Member

Post by nuttyprincess » 12 Feb 2008, 11:39 pm

prossett wrote:So in your judgement, is it suitable for our meet there? Don't worry, I'm just asking so I can come check it out before anyways.
seems good enough...but since eleanor is in ghusais for a few days may be he and i could meet up and he could check it out and give his feedback if not good enough the academic city parking lot sounds good too.

about the wood...i was askin my bf again today and he still wants more details from me as in thickness and width and length and stuff.... :?

Eleanor
UB Special Member

Post by Eleanor » 12 Feb 2008, 11:42 pm

yeh- nutty .... ive seen this parking lot.
its just on the other side of the huge football ground right? its all lit up in the night.....

tht place is viewable and at night the spaces are usually full - dont u think ? n its pretty close to the road as well...

SD -

nuttyprincess
UB Senior Member

Post by nuttyprincess » 12 Feb 2008, 11:48 pm

well if your talking about the football court along side the twar park,, then yes,...the parking lot is on its side...

well if were planning to meet at 9pm onwards then yes may be slitely covered up....but if were looking at 6pm or something...then its pretty much empty but wither way if its too close to the road then chuck it. no worries (Y)

Eleanor
UB Special Member

Post by Eleanor » 12 Feb 2008, 11:52 pm

well it would b a nice place to meet up...
the people that park there are the those that live in the near by buildings..
im sure some smart %#%$ jealous arsewhole would call the cops to clear us out...
ill try n get some pics of these places

SD -