SLK 200 Kompressor <>Wheel Change

Wheels, tires, suspensions, brakes etc.

Moderator:Neo

Which is a good tyre to buy in terms of reliability and service?

Michelin
20%
Dunlop
No votes
Continental
No votes
Goodyear
No votes
Bridgestone
40%
Pirelli
40%
Nitto
No votes
Yokohama
No votes
Roadstone
No votes

Total votes: 5

knightridinghood
UB Junior Member

Post by knightridinghood » 11 Dec 2011, 5:55 pm

Hello,
Q1.I'd appreciate getting to grips with which tyre is a good one to buy i.e.
1. Michelin
2. Dunlop
3. Continental
4. Goodyear
5. Bridgestone
6. Pirelli
7. Nitto
8. Yokohama
9. Roadstone

Q2.Why is it that prices differ with respect to the front and back tyres?

Q3.How can I check for the tyre expiry?

Q4. Why is there a difference in terms of prices from 580-xxxx?

Thanks,
Knightridinghood
Last edited by knightridinghood on 12 Dec 2011, 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 11 Dec 2011, 10:20 pm

What sizes are you looking at?

knightridinghood
UB Junior Member

Post by knightridinghood » 12 Dec 2011, 9:25 am

front- 225/45/17
rear- 245/40/17

thanks TNT.

Ozimandius
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Mazda Miata MX-5 NA

Post by Ozimandius » 12 Dec 2011, 2:43 pm

Nitto!

knightridinghood
UB Junior Member

Post by knightridinghood » 12 Dec 2011, 3:11 pm

Great tyres :| From my search the dealers are ZAFCO - would that be correct?

The actual site is still a wip <<http://www.nittotire-uae.com/>>

Tks Ozimandius.

Ozimandius
UB Super Member

Post by Ozimandius » 12 Dec 2011, 4:40 pm

No problem. If you're in Sharjah, check with Formula tyres, they're after Sahara Center, on your way towards Sharjah Industrial Area. I use Nitto NT555 and they're very good, good grip and low noise. I had Bridgestone Potenza GIII earlier and it's just as good!

knightridinghood
UB Junior Member

Post by knightridinghood » 12 Dec 2011, 11:44 pm

Hello- as you can see I've updated the poll list with Nitto, Y and the others after you mentioned Nitto!

Having started my search and many googles and calls later here is what I discovered...
1#. Continental ++Universal Tyres LLC>approx 800 for Conti-Sport 3MO
MiGermany
2*. Michelin ++Tyre Plus>approx 900 and a 1000++ for the sporty one
Clueless after the guy said Germany and then said they had a factory is China!!
3. Pirelli ++ Al Hawai Tyre>approx 850 for model BO Rosso
MiGermany
4. Bridgestone ++Al Serkal>approx 700 for GR90 and approx 900 for RE050
MiJapan
5. Goodyear ++Swaidan Trdg>approx 580 for Efficient Grip
Clueless
(#) had a great offer during the car show Nov'11
(*) they've got a great offer on alignment and nitro.
And on one of the google searches Michelin even had a great deal on alignment, nitrol and lots more for just 149 :arrow:

Looking forward to catching up on the technical stuff and getting acquainted with the model types; tyre load!!!

I'd be delighted to visit Formula tyres. The location etc. is useful.

How much did your NT555 cost and the Bridgestone Potenza GIII?

7afe
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Lexus SC 300 5 SPD

Post by 7afe » 13 Dec 2011, 10:28 am

knightridinghood wrote:Hello- as you can see I've updated the poll list with Nitto, Y and the others after you mentioned Nitto!

Having started my search and many googles and calls later here is what I discovered...
1#. Continental ++Universal Tyres LLC>approx 800 for Conti-Sport 3MO
MiGermany
2*. Michelin ++Tyre Plus>approx 900 and a 1000++ for the sporty one
Clueless after the guy said Germany and then said they had a factory is China!!
3. Pirelli ++ Al Hawai Tyre>approx 850 for model BO Rosso
MiGermany
4. Bridgestone ++Al Serkal>approx 700 for GR90 and approx 900 for RE050
MiJapan
5. Goodyear ++Swaidan Trdg>approx 580 for Efficient Grip
Clueless
(#) had a great offer during the car show Nov'11
(*) they've got a great offer on alignment and nitro.
And on one of the google searches Michelin even had a great deal on alignment, nitrol and lots more for just 149 :arrow:

Looking forward to catching up on the technical stuff and getting acquainted with the model types; tyre load!!!

I'd be delighted to visit Formula tyres. The location etc. is useful.

How much did your NT555 cost and the Bridgestone Potenza GIII?
Nitto are just cheaper tires. Michelin are probably the best tires you can get, but they cost a lot more and are quality tires.

I dont understand the grip part of our question, when tires are new, they tend to have good grip. They wear out with time and you loose grip. Your merc would have VSC anyways, so it wouldnt let you spin your wheels around anyways. But hey, put whatever makes you happy man. Most of the people dont roatate their tires every 10K kms, which makes the tire's life shorter. Some cases are exceptional for eg: BMW has wider tires at the back, so you cant rotate them around.
Anyways you mentioned you dont know how to read tire specs, i uploaded a few pictures for you to understand. Last thing, you are not driving a corolla so dont worry about noise levels and other things like that, your cabin will still be quiet. Cheers ( NO OFFENSE TO COROLLA OWNERS, I HAD ONE TOO! :grin: )

P.S: I would always put michelin tires.

Ozimandius
UB Super Member

Post by Ozimandius » 13 Dec 2011, 12:58 pm

I got my Nitto NT555 for AED 335 each, 205/50 R16

knightridinghood
UB Junior Member

Post by knightridinghood » 14 Dec 2011, 9:43 am

Hello 7afe,
The tyre spec piccie tutorials are great. Thank you :smile:
knightridinghood wrote: Looking forward to catching up on the technical stuff and getting acquainted with the model types; tyre load!!!
When you mention grip 7afe are you referring to the tyre load?
7afe wrote: I dont understand the grip part of our question, when tires are new, they tend to have good grip. They wear out with time and you loose grip.
7afe wrote: Your merc would have VSC anyways, so it wouldnt let you spin your wheels around anyways. Most of the people dont roatate their tires every 10K kms, which makes the tire's life shorter. Some cases are exceptional for eg: BMW has wider tires at the back, so you cant rotate them around.
What is VSC? Why would people want/not want to rotate their tires? Would it not be safe to assume that the SL-SLK-CL- series come equipped with wider tires?
7afe wrote: Anyways you mentioned you dont know how to read tire specs, i uploaded a few pictures for you to understand.

Image[/quote]
Still haven't noted the readings on the current conti-sport 3MO type so---. I'm guessing that different tyres would be spec'd differently.

knightridinghood
UB Junior Member

Post by knightridinghood » 14 Dec 2011, 9:48 am

Ozimandius wrote:I got my Nitto NT555 for AED 335 each, 205/50 R16
Good to know. Where could I get the tyre models with a mention on load and speed for each type? Almost all the 5 outlets that I mentioned asked me for speed and load and frankly I didnt have a clue.

I'll have to catch up this weekend on the rest of my tyre homework :arrow:

kartoos100
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:08 IS300 + 05 Civic

Post by kartoos100 » 14 Dec 2011, 9:56 am

VSC - Vehicle Stability Control or Traction Control.

Some people will not be able to rotate tires from front to back when the rear tires are larger than the front tires.
Some people will not be able to rotate tires left to right when they have directional tires.

Unfortunately for me I fall under both categories and thus am not able to rotate tires.

From my past experience, Nittos have been good, the only complaint being a soft sidewall.

7afe
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Lexus SC 300 5 SPD

Post by 7afe » 14 Dec 2011, 3:04 pm

knightridinghood wrote:Hello 7afe,
The tyre spec piccie tutorials are great. Thank you :smile:

Np man, its always a good thing to share knowledge
knightridinghood wrote: Looking forward to catching up on the technical stuff and getting acquainted with the model types; tyre load!!!
When you mention grip 7afe are you referring to the tyre load?
Grip is a little hard to explain man. Its like saying how well your tires stick to the road.
Load is basically how much load can a tire take. It remains constant through out the tires life. It shouldnt really matter because its a coupe, you wont be taking your whole family out in it. coupe good enough for 2 people. Look for tire load on your current tires and just look for similar things.
7afe wrote: I dont understand the grip part of our question, when tires are new, they tend to have good grip. They wear out with time and you loose grip.
7afe wrote: Your merc would have VSC anyways, so it wouldnt let you spin your wheels around anyways. Most of the people dont roatate their tires every 10K kms, which makes the tire's life shorter. Some cases are exceptional for eg: BMW has wider tires at the back, so you cant rotate them around.
What is VSC? Why would people want/not want to rotate their tires? Would it not be safe to assume that the SL-SLK-CL- series come equipped with wider tires?
Honestly not sure, just compare width of rear tire from front i.e read the labels on tire, if all 4 match then you can pretty much rotate them.
7afe wrote: Anyways you mentioned you dont know how to read tire specs, i uploaded a few pictures for you to understand.

Still haven't noted the readings on the current conti-sport 3MO type so---. I'm guessing that different tyres would be spec'd differently.[/quote]

Just post a picture of your current tires, we'll figure it out. Cheers

knightridinghood
UB Junior Member

Post by knightridinghood » 14 Dec 2011, 6:37 pm

Hello kartoos100- appreciated.
kartoos100 wrote: VSC - Vehicle Stability Control or Traction Control.
Kartoos basically after your having explained VSC the googled link http://www.toyota.com/safety/star-safet ... ntrol.html enables an easier analogy.

That said I wonder if having VSC is of any use when drivers speed. It would be useful to know whether VSC protects the driver and passenger (s) from a potential skid whilst i.speed driving ii.raining iii.when there are oil leftovers on the road iv.avoiding animals <hit-and-run incidents> etc.
kartoos100 wrote: Some people will not be able to rotate tires from front to back when the rear tires are larger than the front tires.
Some people will not be able to rotate tires left to right when they have directional tires.
Although I understand the first statement the second one <directional> what does this mean?
kartoos100 wrote: Unfortunately for me I fall under both categories and thus am not able to rotate tires.
Finally why is this unfortunate? Do you have different sizes front and rear and hence are you driving a benz too? What is it in being able to rotate / not rotate car tyres?

knightridinghood
UB Junior Member

Post by knightridinghood » 14 Dec 2011, 9:37 pm

7afe wrote:Np man, its always a good thing to share knowledge
(Y)
7afe wrote:Just post a picture of your current tires, we'll figure it out. Cheers
:grin: sure looking for my camera