big rims???

Wheels, tires, suspensions, brakes etc.

Moderator:Neo

Ghanem AlMuhairi
UB Junior Member

Post by Ghanem AlMuhairi » 13 Jun 2006, 6:48 pm

i dont know how to explain it

lol

but we used to have 20inch rims on our VW touarge....and when the car accelerate u feel that the car is heavy and the maximum speed was around 140 then the car wont go faster i think because the rims were heavy and too big and the VW couldnt go faster

but then we got the dealer rims on the VW and the car is better now the maximum speed is around 240km
and its very fast

so i think when the rims is too big or heavy for ur car the car will go slower then before.

so
little HP+big rims=slow car
enough Hp+good size rims= fast car

ALi
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda Accord 2007

Post by ALi » 13 Jun 2006, 7:33 pm

i think the weight and size of rims does have some affect on the acceleration of the car.. :roll:

Jin
UB Senior Member

Post by Jin » 13 Jun 2006, 10:32 pm

thanx every1
so da conclusion is tht its nt good :(

Jin :(

xheartx77
UB Dedicated Member

Post by xheartx77 » 12 Aug 2006, 5:18 pm

Jin wrote:thanx every1
so da conclusion is tht its nt good :(

Jin :(
yup jin the conclusion is its bad choice ..

a hummer an offord 22" n 25" also ... but a corrolla cant
even though u do sumthin about ur wheel upperwall n get big rims installed ... the car gets slow coz more weight for the engine to rotate through the axle n other parts...

eg. my friend owned a mazda 6 n he put on the trade mark AMG alloys 18" ... his car started to die off ... he went to the agency (galadari) they blamed his alloys ... by the time he swapped them wid the genuine alloys his engine was dead slow ...
same wid a guy owning a '96 camry ... he got the similar alloys from a shj scrap ... n was boasting about it .... i told him to change it coz it'll damage the engine ... but he thought i was jealous ... but later he sold them of n got his genuine's back ... n told me the reason as his car performance going down

Jin
UB Senior Member

Post by Jin » 14 Aug 2006, 3:24 am

tjanx bro bt big rims are appealing for me!!!
bt wht if we have a powerful car i guess then it wont
harm the ebgine much!!

Jin :?

Neo
Vehicle:2005 Hyundai Coupe

Post by Neo » 14 Aug 2006, 1:53 pm

Big rims are fine if u make sure the overall diameter of the RIM + Tire is equal to the OEM.

A bit bigger than OEM is fine to as long as it doesnt touchs or rubs anywhere else. And remember once the diameter size goes over/ below the OEM, the speedo reading, the load on the engine, the final drive ratio, the fuel efficiency changes...

In UAE where the roads are good,

Big rims wit low profile tires wud give u, a sporty ride, accurate and precise streeing, good handling and a beautiful ride.

tat is my own quote...
I wud like to correct myself though, Most of the cars these days dont measure the actuall speed of the wheel instead pulls the data from the gear box, hence the speedo reading remains the same...

AMG rims are meant for Mercedes, big engine, lotsa torque, heavy car.... If u mate that on a smaller engine, lighter car, less torque the result might not be so favourable.

Honestly if u want performance from ur bigger rims, go for expensive branded rims which are alloys and weigh much lighter than ur oem rims. I will give u more performance and mileage...

So the conclution is, its good to have bigger rims on roads which are good and less bumpy.
Its bad to have bigger rims on terrible roads jst like in india.

xheartx77
UB Dedicated Member

Post by xheartx77 » 14 Aug 2006, 4:41 pm

yup ... totally forgot about the branded rims ... they hav lightweight rims tht r lighter than the stock rims ... n bigger in inches also ...agree wid neo (Y) ...
but u sure hav to do sum research b4 jus changing the rims ... i would personally weigh my old rims n compare the weight of the new rims b4 changing them ... if the new onez r lighter then go for it ... if heavier ... look out 4 sumthin lighter :idea:

Sparky
UB Advanced Member

Post by Sparky » 15 Aug 2006, 8:51 pm

just take a weighing scale with you when you go rim-shopping... compare the weights of the different rims available. :P

I have felt my steering get a bit heavier because of the 18s, but considering my stock H rims were 16s, that might explain it.

There are some decent lightweight rims out there that don't cost an arm and a leg.

xheartx77
UB Dedicated Member

Post by xheartx77 » 15 Aug 2006, 9:07 pm

sparky...long time ... no posts ... :roll:
i seriously would like to hav a weight machine to check rim weight ... coz it really is a point to check b4 purchasing a rim...wished all rim shops had a weight machine
rather than finding out the rims weight by hands .. :lol: :wink:

Neo

Post by Neo » 15 Aug 2006, 10:57 pm

I wud listen to sparky coz hez done his homework and normally does that before he hits hard on something...
U can see his rims.. a decent set...
And I like his ride... Manual gears!!
oops going off the topic...

Sparky ur car has power steering, which mean the hydraulics does the job of turning the wheel instead of u (effort)... tats the whole point... Do u feel a lot different wit the rims on... Nomally the load increases wit wider tires. U shudnt be feeling so much difference though in steering load....

And yeah, long time no see...

Come on hearty u must be able to differentiate the weight... negligable weight different doesnt make much difference though.

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 16 Aug 2006, 12:08 pm

Neo wrote:before he hits hard on something...
unless we talk about female species... but that's a bit off topic :)

No yeah, this "weighting machine" would be an ordinary scale where you stand every morning on to see what the KFC from the night before did to your figure :)

Like this one:

you could just put your rim on there...

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 16 Aug 2006, 12:09 pm

no, those are not my feet

Neo

Post by Neo » 16 Aug 2006, 1:49 pm

mikeh wrote:no, those are not my feet
Bailed urself from that one , dinchya...

Sparky
UB Advanced Member

Post by Sparky » 17 Aug 2006, 6:04 pm

xheartx77 wrote:sparky...long time ... no posts ... :roll:
i seriously would like to hav a weight machine to check rim weight ... coz it really is a point to check b4 purchasing a rim...wished all rim shops had a weight machine
rather than finding out the rims weight by hands .. :lol: :wink:
Yeah, long time indeed man... work's been crazy busy. I know what you mean about the weight, man... i had to check mine with my hand, but what baffled me was how much lighter my current 18s were than my ex-17's. (Y)

Neo wrote:I wud listen to sparky coz hez done his homework and normally does that before he hits hard on something...
U can see his rims.. a decent set...
And I like his ride... Manual gears!!
oops going off the topic...

Sparky ur car has power steering, which mean the hydraulics does the job of turning the wheel instead of u (effort)... tats the whole point... Do u feel a lot different wit the rims on... Nomally the load increases wit wider tires. U shudnt be feeling so much difference though in steering load....

And yeah, long time no see...

Come on hearty u must be able to differentiate the weight... negligable weight different doesnt make much difference though.
Haha, thanks for the praises neo. :D about that, yeah the hydraulic does do the harder part of steering, but none-the-less there's a noticeable difference in the effort required to turn the steering wheel. Also, the acceleration got a bit better with the lighter rims. (Y)

Eleanor
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 18 Aug 2006, 3:07 am

mikeh wrote:
Neo wrote:before he hits hard on something...
unless we talk about female species... but that's a bit off topic :)

No yeah, this "weighting machine" would be an ordinary scale where you stand every morning on to see what the KFC from the night before did to your figure :)

Like this one:

you could just put your rim on there...
Whose legs r those ??? :$ :$
:lol:

SD -