Suspension..

Wheels, tires, suspensions, brakes etc.

Moderator:Neo

Ribur
UB Junior Member

Post by Ribur » 05 Mar 2007, 12:47 pm

Is it advisable to change the springs without changing the shocks? in other words, i would like to lower my car using only the lowering springs from Eibach but i dont want to change the shocks...

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:clio197

Post by kingkenny » 05 Mar 2007, 2:39 pm

there is no problem that only replace a lower spring , don't worry about the shock , unless you want to go for a real high spring rate !!

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 05 Mar 2007, 6:07 pm

Not to sound horro-ish... But on the long run, you might actually mess up your shocks. Your shocks were made to handle X weight on Y height. If you lower the height, you will put more pressure on them.

But this is on the long run, I am talking more than a year or something, depends how you drive.

Ribur
UB Junior Member

Post by Ribur » 06 Mar 2007, 4:52 pm

hi in members gallery,

i was going thru the topics and i read abt the suspension which is discussed in Eleanor Civic.

Accord 98 was suggesting to go for coilovers than lowering springs... can any1 explain what is difference between coilovers and springs...to some uneducated ppl like me...

my car is having a gap of more than 3 inches so if i want to reduce the height by installing lowering spring, i will ruin my shocks (is that right?) so it is more advisable to go for a coilovers... but can anyone tell me which coilover is suitable for my corolla 2003... and their price range so that i can start saving for it ....

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member

Post by kingkenny » 06 Mar 2007, 6:13 pm

i only can find this one as a complete coilover kit , and it is expensive ,cost 1500us http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/T ... /Variant_2

there is also some spring kit which is only relpace the spring , adjustable for the car height , cost around 300us , here it is :
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/T ... /Coilovers

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/T ... /Coilovers

this type of spring kit can work with your stock shock , or you can also replace shock too , koni , kyb , trd !! so that mean you can custom make your own coilover too , although they are not good as a complete set coilover , but they are cheap !!

give me sometime , i will try to find you some cheaper coilover !!

mikeh
UB Super Member

Post by mikeh » 06 Mar 2007, 6:26 pm

Hi Ribur,

Coilovers are better, but also more expensive. It's not that springs will mess up your shocks directly, but as I said, it gives your shocks more pressure.. and thus will wear them out sooner. See it as redlining your engine all the time, your car will still drive.. but the engine will be worn out sooner.

Shocks should set you back something like 200 - 300 USD.. a merely 1000dhs. Sure, those shops in deira/sharjah can do it for 60 dirhams, but cutting/heating springs is dangerous, and you will be paying more in the end.

Coilovers is what you want ideally, but they are more expensive. They look like shocks with springs together, like this:
they are adjustable in height, hardness and such..

Springs on the other hand, are just springs like these:
and are not adjustable.

I have separate Eibach shocks and springs, and I paid 4000 dhs for them. handling and such became better :!:

HPF (horsepowerfreaks) is a reliable company.. I ordered some things through ptuning and such, but they tend not to answer to emails..

[/img]

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member

Post by kingkenny » 06 Mar 2007, 10:34 pm

i find there is not much choice for the corolla , here is the tein type ss , it is cheaper and it should be good too : http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/tein ... oyota.html

Ribur
UB Junior Member

Post by Ribur » 07 Mar 2007, 8:23 am

Thanx to all for replying

yest i was there at one shop and he said that i can go for eibach lowering springs + belstien shocks which will lower my car by 30mm.. but its costing me around AED 5K just for the stuff ... plus another 300 - 350 for installation.....

is this advisable / a gud combination....

waiting for ur answers....and suggestions....

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member

Post by kingkenny » 07 Mar 2007, 9:39 am

Ribur wrote:Thanx to all for replying

yest i was there at one shop and he said that i can go for eibach lowering springs + belstien shocks which will lower my car by 30mm.. but its costing me around AED 5K just for the stuff ... plus another 300 - 350 for installation.....

is this advisable / a gud combination....

waiting for ur answers....and suggestions....
i have a ground control spring kit , and kyb agx shock ,it is height adjusable ,also adjustable damping force !! parts cost me 4000 dhs , about the installion 300-350dhs is ok , if you know how to do it , you might find some place even cheaper !!

where is the shop ? does the belstien adjustable ? make sure the shock is better than the stock one , i know some shock is a very little bit better than the stock one , for replacement they are ok , but you don't want to waste your money and waste your parts too !!

03 corolla is still new , depend on your driving your shock might be still very new , how about get the lower spring first , and see how it is perform , and think of the shock later !!

mikeh
UB Super Member

Post by mikeh » 07 Mar 2007, 9:49 am

My eibach set is also with the bilstein shocks, they are good.. even give a 1million mile warranty.

5000 is a bit steep though, is this shop called power curve?

Ribur
UB Junior Member

Post by Ribur » 07 Mar 2007, 11:10 am

yes mikeh the shop is called power curve....do u know them? r they reliable... he said the same thing abt the 1 million mile warranty n that the bilstien r the best ...i have been there yest...

i know the current factory shocks are pretty gud but then if i just go for the lowering springs then i will ruin the factory shocks but if i go for the combination of eibach with belistien then i save my factory shocks for later... will i face any trouble when i go 4 the yearly registration check?

i didnt check whether the belstien are adjustable... i shall check it out..

is there any other shops which can provide me the same combination at a cheaper rate ?

otherwise what is the next best alternative? hey kingkenny...can the ground control kit & the KYB AGX shock fitted into my corolla '03?

thanx bros

masabgt
UB Special Member

Post by masabgt » 07 Mar 2007, 4:53 pm

mikeh wrote:They look like shocks with springs together, like this:
they are adjustable in height, hardness and such..

Springs on the other hand, are just springs like these:
and are not adjustable.
I have been wondering too on difference between ^these two... Thanx Mikeh... and the blessing of Ribur (Y)

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member

Post by kingkenny » 07 Mar 2007, 5:10 pm

Ribur wrote:i know the current factory shocks are pretty gud but then if i just go for the lowering springs then i will ruin the factory shocks but if i go for the combination of eibach with belistien then i save my factory shocks for later... will i face any trouble when i go 4 the yearly registration check?

i didnt check whether the belstien are adjustable... i shall check it out..

is there any other shops which can provide me the same combination at a cheaper rate ?

otherwise what is the next best alternative? hey kingkenny...can the ground control kit & the KYB AGX shock fitted into my corolla '03?

thanx bros

if your budget is 5000dhs , i say get the Tein type SS , cost you $1200 or less , plus shipping , tax , delivery and install , should be around 5000dhs , it is a complete set coilover kit , mean new shock , new spring , new top mount , plus may be new bump stop, new dust cover .....
http://www.autocarparts.com/part/877/468/

i mention the bump stop and dust cover , because these rubber can protect your shock !! when you put a lower spring or replace a aftermaket shock , you might have to cut the bump stop to fit , and it might be a chance it won't fit too !! give you a sample , my kyb shock tube is a bit fatter than stock one , so the stock bump stop won't fit , it mean i am running no bump stop and dust cover :( !!

the reason i tell you that get the lower spring and shock separate , because it is cheaper , but then it cost you 5000dhs , this money has already enough to get a better coilover!!

something is really important , if you want your car perform really well , and you might race with the corolla in the track too , then i suggest you get a coilover kit like tein SS !!

ok , if you want you car look better and perform a bit better , most the time you drive nomoal , lower spring is what you looking for ! because of the car is lower , might be stiffer too , you have less body roll , handing is already better !!

about the shock , all the shock have to be replace or rebuild after X milage !so don't worry about the stock shock , you should feel the shock become soft now , one day you don't feel the rebound of the shock , you have to change it anyway !!

mikeh
UB Super Member

Post by mikeh » 07 Mar 2007, 6:20 pm

Ribur wrote:yes mikeh the shop is called power curve....do u know them? r they reliable... he said the same thing abt the 1 million mile warranty n that the bilstien r the best ...i have been there yest...
Pass my regards to Ahmed, the Iraqi guy who runs it there. :)

I must say that Power curve has a good customer service actually, and that I was positively suprised with it all. I spend 4000 on springs and shocks. Eibachs (are you getting the sports or the pro kit?) give you a nice combination of ride quality and sporty handling though.

I guess if I could turn back time, i would do the same, or actually go for a full coilover set... Remember that the shocks you are getting are probably not adjustable.

Basically a list from best to "bad" would be:

coilovers > springs+shocks > springs > cut/heated stock springs.

Well, don't think that running your stock shocks is that bad, it takes time for them to lose their "rigidness". Sparky is running lowering springs, and his car handles well, and he had no problems so far. He's been rolling this setup for the past 6 months+ I think, without any problem. Many tib owners I know (well, online) are running with just lowering springs. So, it's not that bad, if you are on a not-that-big-budget, i'd suggest you to just go for springs, and get the shocks later.

Hope it helps,
Mike, your friendly e-mechanic :D

Ribur
UB Junior Member

Post by Ribur » 08 Mar 2007, 8:47 am

thanx mikeh... yes i have read in one of the topics u recommending Ahmed and asking you to quote ur name....

yes, Ahmed is very courteous guy and he gives u very gud opinion according to ur budget....

i am on a limited budget and as u know i have big list of mods i want to do in my car...

i have started with spark plugs and air filters... then i shall go for Eibach lowering pro kit as u all recommended then probably i will go in for the shocks later on.... i have checked with Ahmed and the shocks are not adjustable... when i asked him which of it is better he said Eibach and bilstien shocks combination is better since adjusting the coilovers requires one to go to a mechanic or if done by urself it may not be right always and the comfort is not guaranteed..

king kenny, the combination of eibach lowering prokit and bilstien is also costing me only AED 5K ... so not much gain in taking all the trouble in ordering online... but i will still consider it when i am actually getting the kit... i may need ur help at that time...

my shocks are still in pretty gud condition... even though it has ridden abt 90K kms..

thanks guys for all ur suggestions...

one last thing i wud like to ask

can u pls tell me where i can genuine rota wheels?? if not is the shj iranian alloy wheels worthwhile since one of my frnd bought alloys from shj and he cudnt get it aligned properly...