Brake System-Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Steel Braided Lines/Drum??

Wheels, tires, suspensions, brakes etc.

Moderator:Neo

xheartx77
UB Dedicated Member

Post by xheartx77 » 12 Feb 2009, 5:56 am

Looking for your info/suggestions

Went thru a lot of late nyt onlyn research but still have so many confusions that need answers desperately !!

I need to change the front rotors on my celica as the current ones can no longer be used (badly out of shape). Decided to order for front ROTORA slotted n drilled rotors pair as they would cost almost the same compared to new stock rotors from al-futtaim.

(1) keeping in mind the below factors, still confused if i should go for
--only drilled rotors ?--only slotted rotors ? --drilled & slotted rotors ?

*noise / brake squeaking factor
*better brake pad cooling factor
*performance factor if any
*reliability factor (as heard: drilled rotors get out of shape & crack on hardcore use)

(2) Do i need to buy aftermarket brake pads to use with these rotors or genuine toyota brake pads wud workfine (already have a new pair of genuine pads waiting to get on the car)? obviously i assume stock genuine pads wud work but is aftermarket a better option like ceramic pads or anything else i havent heard of ? And which aftermarket brake pad brand would you suggest as of your experiences ? HAWK EBC etc ..

(3) I've heard of steel braided brake lines contributing a lot to better brake feel and performance. researched online and found these for usually sumwher around 100 $+ and the additional shipping charges. does it usually cost around 400 dhs and do i have to order them online or i can find them here in uae ? If yes .. any info on where and how much ? Does 1 size fit all or they've got diff. sizes for diff. vehicle makes ?

(4) I've got drums in the rear, and plan to convert to discs. Any idea on which car from toyota could i swap the whole rear disc setup for a 2000 celica GT (as in HONDA's) probably a US spec 2003'ish CORROLA - i'm guessing ?

(5) What parts would be required to convert a rear drum setup on a car to rear disc setup ? discs for sure & handbrake lines & Calipers & & & & wht else ???

(6) as the car never had a brake oil change in the 2yrs i owned it and the unknown days that it was with its previous owner, it needs a complete brake fluid flush also. I have a bottle of racing brake fluid sitting at home, can it be used now as it says DOT 5.1 or something ?? or its only for race prepared brake setups ?? can a stock street legal car use dot 5.1 brake fluid once the brake system is completely flushed or do i need to change certain hardware on my car to be able to use it ??

Hope to get answers on all these questions

Thanx in advance :)

grayfox666
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Volkswagen Tin Can

Post by grayfox666 » 12 Feb 2009, 6:54 am

I heard some bad stories about ROTORA, try PowerSlot aswell. They are affordable.

For the pads i would say HAWK are good for street but there is no way you can have aftermarket brakes and no squeal. You gotta live with it.

Braided S/S lines are a must with a 5.1 DOT fluid. Albertho told me that PERFORMANCE in Al Qouz carries them, for around 400-500 AED range.
Goodridge makes them for all cars.

Contact vance@tirerack.com for the brake setup you need. He will tell whats the best option for you. Many UB members including me got parts from him.

Im running PowerSlot Slloted Rotors and HAWK HPS pads. The setup is MUCH better that stock, but again there is squeal sometimes. :)

toleg
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:honda

Post by toleg » 12 Feb 2009, 9:35 am

xheartx77 wrote:Looking for your info/suggestions

Went thru a lot of late nyt onlyn research but still have so many confusions that need answers desperately !!

I need to change the front rotors on my celica as the current ones can no longer be used (badly out of shape). Decided to order for front ROTORA slotted n drilled rotors pair as they would cost almost the same compared to new stock rotors from al-futtaim.

(1) keeping in mind the below factors, still confused if i should go for
--only drilled rotors ?--only slotted rotors ? --drilled & slotted rotors ?

*noise / brake squeaking factor
*better brake pad cooling factor
*performance factor if any
*reliability factor (as heard: drilled rotors get out of shape & crack on hardcore use)
you better check with them(supplier) if it will work on your stock caliper, coz if not its useless - not all rotor are bolt on to your oem caliper.
check also the size of the rotor as might affect you set-up
to big - you might need to change to bigger rim
to small then its useless

slotted rotor will do or to be safe get the plain one
slotted and cross drilled are best if you got money as you need to change it regulary :D

and it look cheaper but include shipping charge + custom duty + time to wait = same same :D
(2) Do i need to buy aftermarket brake pads to use with these rotors or genuine toyota brake pads wud workfine (already have a new pair of genuine pads waiting to get on the car)? obviously i assume stock genuine pads wud work but is aftermarket a better option like ceramic pads or anything else i havent heard of ? And which aftermarket brake pad brand would you suggest as of your experiences ? HAWK EBC etc ..
Again first check the rotor if it work in your stock caliper, then from it you can decide.
If you got stock engine oem brake pads will do
if you got money its okey also to buy aftermarket pads
keep on mind that most of this pads have different temperature set-up and usage.
like race, street, normal etc. etc.
and prices also move up
most of this pads are more expensive than the rotors :D
squeeing sound do happen especially in cold conditon, there is a certain temperature for them to worked properly.
so dont be suprised when you press hard brake in the morning and nothing come but only squeezing sound :D
(3) I've heard of steel braided brake lines contributing a lot to better brake feel and performance. researched online and found these for usually sumwher around 100 $+ and the additional shipping charges. does it usually cost around 400 dhs and do i have to order them online or i can find them here in uae ? If yes .. any info on where and how much ? Does 1 size fit all or they've got diff. sizes for diff. vehicle makes ?
yes they do give better fell
again online is cheap but add + shipping + custom duty + time waiting = same same :D
(4) I've got drums in the rear, and plan to convert to discs. Any idea on which car from toyota could i swap the whole rear disc setup for a 2000 celica GT (as in HONDA's) probably a US spec 2003'ish CORROLA - i'm guessing ?
what i know corrolla and celica does'nt have the same flatform / chassis :$
celica and rav4 do (Y)
but try check other toyota online forum for better explanation. :happy:
(5) What parts would be required to convert a rear drum setup on a car to rear disc setup ? discs for sure & handbrake lines & Calipers & & & & wht else ???
usually in honda you need to change brake cable as other parts like caliper, rotor, hub bearing etc etc come with your replacement
(6) as the car never had a brake oil change in the 2yrs i owned it and the unknown days that it was with its previous owner, it needs a complete brake fluid flush also. I have a bottle of racing brake fluid sitting at home, can it be used now as it says DOT 5.1 or something ?? or its only for race prepared brake setups ?? can a stock street legal car use dot 5.1 brake fluid once the brake system is completely flushed or do i need to change certain hardware on my car to be able to use it ??
you can go to any shop for brake fluid flush and for new ones its better than DIY as they got machine to suck it, and for better bledding of the fluid
yes 5.1 fluid is find in street car as they got higher boling point than the normal DOT 3/DOT 4 fluids
but never mixed it with different set-up
no need to replaced anything just make sure its bleeded properly or else you will get a different feel / failure on your brakes :D
Hope to get answers on all these questions

Thanx in advance :)
i guess ive answered it all :D :D

good luck