Low Profile Tyres

Wheels, tires, suspensions, brakes etc.

Moderator:Neo

nemesis321
UB Addicted Member
Vehicle:2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring

Post by nemesis321 » 07 Dec 2009, 7:45 pm

A question guys...i have been having the stock Dunlops in ma car till date...i have changed ma rims (checkout ma rims!!:D ), since then i have had probs with the tyre sometimes touching the body of the car...

I was advised to go for LOW PROFILE tyres...now i read on the net that low profile effects performance in many ways...its best at cornering...better feel of the road...the bad side is that if on uneven surfaces it will make the ride uncomfortable...now can some one shed more light on wether low profile is the way forward or not...?

AccordTuner
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Lexus LS460

Post by AccordTuner » 07 Dec 2009, 8:02 pm

low prolife is fine ... most of us are using them bro .. no problems at alll ... and bro as for en even surfaces ... u mean gravel if yess then .. it doesnt have any thing like uncomforatability or such .. its fine ...

lime
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:2009 Lancer GT

Post by lime » 07 Dec 2009, 8:08 pm

its better in all ways , including the look...
2 things are bad , street noise and uncomfortable... els wise they are perfect..!

grayfox666
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Volkswagen Tin Can

Post by grayfox666 » 07 Dec 2009, 8:59 pm

You will have reduced comfort on any surface, more road noise.
plus it depends on tire compound aswell and the hardness of the sidewall.
Looking at your car pic your tire size is completely wrong. If you are running 18s the your profile should be around 40-45, plus check your width aswell as you might be rubbing on the inside. Why didnt your rims supplier give you a proper tire size?

Exquisite
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:1999 Dodge Ram Sport

Post by Exquisite » 07 Dec 2009, 9:42 pm

Low profile tires are good for performance...but they wear out faster than the thicker tires and when changing lanes in the street....believe me u'll feel it....the (what they call it)shiny hazards on the road...if u go over them..u'll feel it...other than that, its better to go low profile...buy the tires with the Z code on it..which withstand high speeds and has outstanding grip

grayfox666
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Volkswagen Tin Can

Post by grayfox666 » 07 Dec 2009, 9:51 pm

Its not true, they wear out just like any tire, no mater which size they are same. And Z doesnt have outstanding grip, its just the rating.You need to choose proper thread design and compound.

nemesis321
UB Addicted Member

Post by nemesis321 » 07 Dec 2009, 10:01 pm

lime wrote:its better in all ways , including the look...
2 things are bad , street noise and uncomfortable... els wise they are perfect..!
street noise and uncomfortable?...uncomfortable?...now am stuck in a dilemma... :D ...

nemesis321
UB Addicted Member

Post by nemesis321 » 07 Dec 2009, 10:17 pm

grayfox666 wrote:You will have reduced comfort on any surface, more road noise.
plus it depends on tire compound aswell and the hardness of the sidewall.
Looking at your car pic your tire size is completely wrong. If you are running 18s the your profile should be around 40-45, plus check your width aswell as you might be rubbing on the inside. Why didnt your rims supplier give you a proper tire size?
I do understand...but how can the tyre size be wrong when they are the original tyres i got when got the car bran new...?

The rims supplier suggested NITO's but at a higher cost...i opted not to go for em...any ideas of which tyres are the best...?...value for money as well... :P

Exquisite
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:1999 Dodge Ram Sport

Post by Exquisite » 07 Dec 2009, 11:06 pm

grayfox666 wrote:Its not true, they wear out just like any tire, no mater which size they are same. And Z doesnt have outstanding grip, its just the rating.You need to choose proper thread design and compound.
lol..maybe i read it wrong

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:clio197

Post by kingkenny » 07 Dec 2009, 11:08 pm

grayfox666 wrote:Its not true, they wear out just like any tire, no mater which size they are same. And Z doesnt have outstanding grip, its just the rating.You need to choose proper thread design and compound.
grayfox is right here !!

most people think low profile tyre improve handing , i would say it add confidence for the drive because it reduce side wall flex.

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member

Post by kingkenny » 07 Dec 2009, 11:28 pm

nemesis321 wrote:A question guys...i have been having the stock Dunlops in ma car till date...i have changed ma rims (checkout ma rims!!:D ), since then i have had probs with the tyre sometimes touching the body of the car...

I was advised to go for LOW PROFILE tyres...now i read on the net that low profile effects performance in many ways...its best at cornering...better feel of the road...the bad side is that if on uneven surfaces it will make the ride uncomfortable...now can some one shed more light on wether low profile is the way forward or not...?
so you take out the stock tires and fit it into another set of new rim . if this is the case , and now you looking for another set low profile tires to fit , keep in mind that your speedo will no longer correct , gear ratio will be shorter cause by a smaller wheel .

the reason you rubbing , it is because the new rim has a different offset . if it is rubbing inside , you can try to add wheel spacer , if it is outside you can roll you fender to fit and i prefer not to do this .

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 08 Dec 2009, 11:15 pm

nemesis321 wrote: I do understand...but how can the tyre size be wrong when they are the original tyres i got when got the car bran new...?
You have quite a bit to learn.

Just an OT question: Why did you get aftermarket rims of the stock size? Your purpose here was to get something better looking and thus you could've gone with a bigger size.

nemesis321
UB Addicted Member

Post by nemesis321 » 08 Dec 2009, 11:20 pm

You have quite a bit to learn.

Just an OT question: Why did you get aftermarket rims of the stock size? Your purpose here was to get something better looking and thus you could've gone with a bigger size
Good Question...this was the first time i did something like this and i took the advice of the supplier...they said its always safe to have the stock size than any bigger size...hence i went for the 18's with the stock tyres

you mean to say if i went with 19's with low profile tyres it wouldnt have given me issues like the tyre touching the bodywork?...

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member

Post by kingkenny » 08 Dec 2009, 11:37 pm

wheel modification has a lot of knowledge , and supplier are all about businese !!spend some time to do some home before you do anything to your car , you just wasting your money .

take a look !!
http://www.carbibles.com/tire_bible.html

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 08 Dec 2009, 11:44 pm

Your Mazda can take 19s perfectly without rubbing issues. Above that you'll have to make adjustments, thus 19s is the best size.