Which oil do you use for your car?

Everything about Castrol: News, Events, Offers, etc.

Moderator:castrol

Which is your favourite?

Castrol
31%
Mobil 1
18%
Shell
8%
Caltex
5%
Emarat
5%
Enoc
3%
Adnoc
23%
Others, please specify
8%

Total votes: 39

sr20det
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:2004 Subaru Legacy

Post by sr20det » 05 Apr 2008, 8:46 am

@Castrol: My subaru is not forced induced so I don't really need a that much of a high performance oil in it. Just the right viscosity and temperature rating is enough, and besides I am changing my oils every 2.5k so basically I don't get the full benefits of using synthetic oils. I am currently using shell helix super 20W-50...no issues so far, same with my cars in Manila...no issues thus far. :D

stone-head
UB Senior Member

Post by stone-head » 05 Apr 2008, 3:48 pm

kingkenny wrote:
stone-head wrote:currently running adnoc 5w30
is there any 5w50 or 60 inthe market ( castrol to name ) ??
the summer heat is coming :|
i am surpise you are running 5W30 !!
there castrol edge sport 10W60 !!
only in the winter , now I should replace it , even
it passed only <300 KM , minimum figure should be 7.5w something
as stated by nissan , 10w x causes hi oil pressure esp at cold start :mrgreen:
me stupid head once added an oil additive that makes the oil more
" sticky " to engine internals , thinking OK that should do it :)
but oil pressure was hi off scale , so changed & flushed oil :$

edge sport 10w60 looks good , but is there 5w60 ???

prossett
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Honda Jazz

Post by prossett » 05 Apr 2008, 8:14 pm

Do you guys really feel the engine run differently when you change oil brand??? C'mon, all my life I've put in any oil without caring for brand and I've never felt any difference...

Bad news for our friend, Castrol, but yesterday I had a FAB time marshaling at the Xplore UAE desert drive event - we took 170 cars from Hatta Fort Hotel over the mountains and through the desert ending up at Al Sahra Desert Resort - the event fully managed by Dubai4x4! 8)

Since the main sponsor was ENOC - I think I owe them to try their oil! Sorry... but I'll report back to tell you if I feel any difference with the Castrol Gold I've been using. :D

The other sponsor was Nissan, so I drove an Xterra - almost 300HP in a light 4x4, almost too much power, if that's possible! :| :D

Irakli
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:Altima 3.5 - Patrol LWB 04 - SWB 96

Post by Irakli » 05 Apr 2008, 10:14 pm

prossett wrote:Do you guys really feel the engine run differently when you change oil brand??? C'mon, all my life I've put in any oil without caring for brand and I've never felt any difference...

Bad news for our friend, Castrol, but yesterday I had a FAB time marshaling at the Xplore UAE desert drive event - we took 170 cars from Hatta Fort Hotel over the mountains and through the desert ending up at Al Sahra Desert Resort - the event fully managed by Dubai4x4! 8)

Since the main sponsor was ENOC - I think I owe them to try their oil! Sorry... but I'll report back to tell you if I feel any difference with the Castrol Gold I've been using. :D

The other sponsor was Nissan, so I drove an Xterra - almost 300HP in a light 4x4, almost too much power, if that's possible! :| :D
Too much bawar is just about enough ;)

Nissan service centers here switched to Enoc lubricants since the owners split, they were using castrol previously ... Now toyota service centers use castrol.
I take my own oil to the service center cause castrol dealership is across the road from them...

I'd say the engine is smoother with castrol comparing to enoc and mobil1 however I haven't tried mobil1 synthetic so no comment on mobil1 synthetic ...

There is a reason why Castrol GTX is the worlds highest selling oil and no it's not the cheapest ;)

But yea the drive was gooood, unlike the 'other' fun drive we actually got food which was pretty amazing too ! Started with 16 cars in my convoy and at the first turn had 5 left ! :D

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 05 Apr 2008, 11:36 pm

Interesting - didn't know that.

Castrol GTX is different from Castrol Gold Edge which the Bridgestone service center sells and which is in my Land Cruiser?

And so what does Honda use when they service my Jazz?

It's funny I'd never thought about motor oil brands before, I just figured they all use the same technology so the oils are the same.

Let's find out if there's any real difference... I think I feel a Friday magazine story coming up... 8)

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:clio197

Post by kingkenny » 06 Apr 2008, 12:46 am

prossett wrote:
And so what does Honda use when they service my Jazz?
you can ask them to use synthetic oil , if not ,honda usually use honda engine oil 20W50 .

sr20det
UB Dedicated Member

Post by sr20det » 06 Apr 2008, 8:11 am

prossett wrote:Do you guys really feel the engine run differently when you change oil brand??? C'mon, all my life I've put in any oil without caring for brand and I've never felt any difference...

If you will be observative enough with your rides, on how they run, how it feels to drive them for sure you will feel the difference in the oils that you use in your engine. :wink:

castrol
Sponsor

Post by castrol » 06 Apr 2008, 12:54 pm

I am glad to see many poeple satisfied with Castrol products.

Castrol does have many different vescosities which also include 5W50, and 10W50, however 10W60 is made for our weather conditions and for high performance cars.

stone-head
UB Senior Member

Post by stone-head » 06 Apr 2008, 2:29 pm

OK , I will check that outlet in abu dhabi later on ,
so what about gear & differential lubricants ?
I think it should be 70w90 !!!! or whats the best grade here

castrol
Sponsor

Post by castrol » 07 Apr 2008, 10:12 am

I would recommend 80W90 GL5 but 75W90 is also good.

same1
UB Addicted Member
Vehicle:Civic 01. 92 Mark II 2JZ

Post by same1 » 08 Apr 2008, 11:00 am

castrol is the best.....i have tried many oils but castrol gives more power and it feels...

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 08 Apr 2008, 11:31 pm

I'm still not convinced about feeling the difference between different brands... (yes, I'm stubborn as a mule... :D ) Now, old vs new oil, and natural vs synthetic, I'll grant that - I can feel it, and I sure felt the swap to synthetic. But different brands? I'm not sure...

Hey, how about a blind test? Castrol, would you be interested in setting up a blind test which I will feature in a Friday Magazine special feature on motor oil (which I'll be writing anyways now that I'm interested :D ) - same car, 5 uaeboost members drive it around the autodrome with oil A, then with oil B, and last with oil C, and we report on which went smoother.

You choose the car and the oils. We'll only mention the winning oil in the article (hoping it's Castrol! If it's not, I still have to report it as it happened, though)

Bit risky, I suppose... all the effort and another brand snatches it... hmmm... how about three varieties of Castrol? But then again, what's the point? Best viscosity? Most adapted to local conditions? Yeah, but then we'd need an endurance race, like 24h non-stop... hmmm... any ideas anyone, I'm just thinking out loud here...

You'd have to choose some real cr@ppy oil to make sure Castrol gets it... LOOOL, like left-over KFC frying oil is oil A... :D

toleg
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:honda

Post by toleg » 09 Apr 2008, 1:14 am

prossett wrote:I'm still not convinced about feeling the difference between different brands... (yes, I'm stubborn as a mule... :D ) Now, old vs new oil, and natural vs synthetic, I'll grant that - I can feel it, and I sure felt the swap to synthetic. But different brands? I'm not sure...

Hey, how about a blind test? Castrol, would you be interested in setting up a blind test which I will feature in a Friday Magazine special feature on motor oil (which I'll be writing anyways now that I'm interested :D ) - same car, 5 uaeboost members drive it around the autodrome with oil A, then with oil B, and last with oil C, and we report on which went smoother.

You choose the car and the oils. We'll only mention the winning oil in the article (hoping it's Castrol! If it's not, I still have to report it as it happened, though)

Bit risky, I suppose... all the effort and another brand snatches it... hmmm... how about three varieties of Castrol? But then again, what's the point? Best viscosity? Most adapted to local conditions? Yeah, but then we'd need an endurance race, like 24h non-stop... hmmm... any ideas anyone, I'm just thinking out loud here...

You'd have to choose some real cr@ppy oil to make sure Castrol gets it... LOOOL, like left-over KFC frying oil is oil A... :D
^^^^^
nice idea

sr20det
UB Dedicated Member

Post by sr20det » 09 Apr 2008, 9:35 am

Hehehe, prosset I like the way you think... :D

Is castrol up for the challenge?? :!:

castrol
Sponsor

Post by castrol » 09 Apr 2008, 12:13 pm

prossett wrote:I'm still not convinced about feeling the difference between different brands... (yes, I'm stubborn as a mule... :D ) Now, old vs new oil, and natural vs synthetic, I'll grant that - I can feel it, and I sure felt the swap to synthetic. But different brands? I'm not sure...

Many variables in your idea, the condition of the car, the driving style of the owner, the milage it has done, etc. It wouldnt work. Even if you do it with the same oil in every car, there would definately be a difference.

In order to feel the difference, try using Castrol oil on YOUR car as you would know how it drives before Castrol and after, you will definately feel the difference, but always make sure that you flush the engine before changing the oil as mixing oil is not a good idea.

Let me know of the result. I know it is not easy to believe, but try it and you will.