Need help on engine oil change

Talk about car reviews & comparisons, buying advice & suggestions, spy shots etc.
bestcapricon
UB Junior Member

Post by bestcapricon » 25 Aug 2013, 4:40 pm

Hi,
I am from Dubai. I have Toyota Corolla 2006 (xli 1800cc) Model. Currently I am using Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Oil and change it every 10,000KM. My average running is 2,000KM per month. and engine is working very fine.

Now, considering hot weather, car model and average running, please advise me should i continue using fully synthetic oil and change it every 10,000KM or should i use other type of oil.

zain
UB Junior Member

Post by zain » 25 Aug 2013, 6:20 pm

That depends on the vehicle's age, mileage, and the carmaker's recommendations for engine lubricants. Older vehicles with high mileage tend to have excessive mechanical wear in the engine, allowing for internal oil leakage. On vehicles with high mileage, it is not recommended to use full synthetic oil because it is thin and very free flowing, and use of it does (more often than not) result in internal oil combustion. I used full synthetic oil in a Plymouth Neon. After logging120K miles the car started to consume oil at an alarming rate. Concerned, I switched to a semi-synthetic oil that was more full-bodied and the consumption stopped. I logged another 30K miles and sold it. It's still running with over 200K miles today and it doesn't burn oil. Carmakers use full synthetics and semi synthetics in some of their engines today. In most cases, you will find that a synthetic lubricant is used when there's a high performance engine with tight engine tolerances, high compression, and high operating temperatures. Follow your owner's manual for motor oil recommendations. If you want to use synthetic oil and your car is still under warranty, check with your local dealer before switching to synthetic oil.

If you need any work done to your car you can always come down to our garage and we will be more than glad to go out of our way to impress you

AL TESAA GARAGE
Al Qusais Industrial Area 3
https://www.facebook.com/9GARAGE

Hope this helps!

7afe
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Lexus SC 300 5 SPD

Post by 7afe » 26 Aug 2013, 8:42 am

Oil interval is usually 6 months or if you are able to finish your kms before that. If you spend a lot of time in traffic or a lot of city driving like small roads etc. I would keep same oil just change it more often. If you do long trips etc, i say you are just fine with what you are currently using.
P.S Mobil 1 is a good brand, i use it myself on turbo'd cars but not synthetic. Change every two months regardless KMS. I spend a lot of time idling or just driving in town, so i just go by the time the engine ran instead of the kms the engine has done. AND DONT GO SEMI SYNTHETIC, waste of money.
-l0kz