Need advise on cheap used car!

Talk about car reviews & comparisons, buying advice & suggestions, spy shots etc.
autofreak
UB Junior Member

Post by autofreak » 14 Jan 2014, 9:18 am

Hello friends, this is Raj. I am new to this forum.

Very soon, I will be relocating to Dubai and like everyone else, I will be looking for a car. Now, my budget is not much. At max, I would be willing AED 45000, can be stretched to AED 50000 for a very good car. The reason I am thinking of going for a used car is because I would get a better used car in that budget, compared to a tiny and underpowered new car.

Now, I am an auto enthusiast back home and have been driving since many years but I am new to the UAE car market. I am single and I would like a car with the following priorities:

1) Has to be stylish
2) Has to be decently powerful, yet should not burn a hole in my pocket with fuel bills
3) I do not care about extreme reliability, but atleast spares should be easily available and moderately cheap
4) I am a big time SUV fan. I wont really go off roading with it, so I do not need a hardcore 4x4.

I am not looking for very old cars. I am okay with car post 2008 and with less than 75000 kms on the odo.

Can you friends please help me with some suitable suggestions? Right now, I am looking at used SUVs from Ford, Toyota and Mitsubishi. Toyota seems to be too expensive.

The only sedan I liked is the Mitsubishi Lancer EX, especially the GT. How good or bad is that car? Is the 1.6 underpowered? Is the GT worth the extra money?

The second car I like is the Ford Mustang! I know its a sports car but will owning a Mustang be decently affordable?

Finally, what would you guys suggest? Buying a sedan like Lancer EX, sports coupe like Mustang or a SUV like Captiva, Explorer, etc.

Max
UB Junior Member

Post by Max » 15 Jan 2014, 5:06 pm

Autofreak,
looks like a hard decision to make, based on the parameters u mentioned...

i say get the Mitsubishi evo: fun to drive, powerful, sort of economical, expensive to maintain or find an Audi A4 with CVT :happy:

Tribal
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:G35

Post by Tribal » 15 Jan 2014, 5:20 pm

There is Wrangler or Nissan Patrol in that price but will be little older than 2008 and much more then 75k mileage

if you increase your budget to 65-70.. can go for a Land cruiser or FJ

jazzzen
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:EG and EK Hatch

Post by jazzzen » 26 Jan 2014, 8:53 pm

if you are the type to punch the gas pedal once in a while, i'd say forget about the 1.6 lancers... if you want get the GT version... the body is too heavy for a 1.6 IMHO... :roll:

jdm-uae
UB Junior Member

Post by jdm-uae » 26 Jan 2014, 9:31 pm

Would Suggest you for a Toyota Land Crusier or Nissan Patrols or even Honda CRV or and Crosstourer.

Evo's are also good but heavy on maintenance and can cause hole in pocket :roll:

You can even try on with Honda Accords, Civic, Toyota Camry Avalon. There are many cars that would fall in you budget you have to choose what you wanna get put of them meaning you looking for family car, Sports looking car or a weekend car.

ProNoob88
UB Junior Member

Post by ProNoob88 » 27 Jan 2014, 12:17 am

Stylish and decent power and affordable maintenance and ur single = Nissan 350z
This car is used by many as a weekend car, so the mileage would be low usually, go for a 2004 - 2007 it's below 50 k and and above 30-35 k
But make sure it's gcc specs, if it's American then be positive it's from a reliable source, many of those American spec cars come drowned or accidented, then it's fixed and sold here in the market.

jimthebubu
UB Junior Member

Post by jimthebubu » 08 Feb 2014, 3:17 am

I can sell my 2008 Seat Leon to you if you want.

Car is 72,000Km, Red 2.0FSI engine.

It was driven by my GF time to time earlier, It's a good car and I do all necessary to maintain it well.

I'm not sure about the price but we can find it out I guess.

Bubu

autofreak
UB Junior Member

Post by autofreak » 06 Mar 2014, 5:35 pm

Hello friends, thanks a lot for the replies. Sorry for being absent for a while as I was busy in relocation activities.

Now, my budget has taken a hit due to a lot of factors. I will happily spend about AED 40000 and can stretch to AED 45000 on a good used car. My starting salary is not much and hence I am not looking for a gas guzzling monster. I also need a car which is not too expensive to maintain or repair. I am also not looking for a car which is older than 5 years or run more than 150,000 kms for the fear of breakdowns or heavy maintenance.

However, having said all that, I still wish for a car which is decently stylish and not under powered. Yes, I am stupid and greedy!

The two cars I have shortlisted are -

Lancer EX 2.0
Mazda 6 2.0/2.5

Now, what do you guys finally suggest - the Mazda 6 or Lancer EX 2.0?

The Lancer 2.0 GT comes at a premium. So I am wondering, why cant I buy a GLS and convert it into a GT by adding 18" wheels and HIDs. The only thing I will miss is the paddle shifters and RF audio, which is okay. Is there anything special about the GT?

Mazda 6 is a bigger car but I somehow feel the Lancer EX looks sportier.

jazzzen
UB Junior Member

Post by jazzzen » 07 Mar 2014, 8:18 am

i doubt both will give you the sport that you need. just my 2 cents. :roll:

autofreak
UB Junior Member

Post by autofreak » 07 Mar 2014, 8:33 am

jazzzen wrote:i doubt both will give you the sport that you need. just my 2 cents. :roll:
Hi, thank you for the reply.

Since I cant afford it, I cannot demand a sporty car!

Right now, all I am asking is a car which -

* looks decently good
* does not feel sluggish
* has lower service costs

Guess priorities change when you dont have money!

jazzzen
UB Junior Member

Post by jazzzen » 07 Mar 2014, 10:40 am

Right now, all I am asking is a car which -

* looks decently good
* does not feel sluggish
* has lower service costs

I understand your point, but you will be able to get those including a bit of a sporty feel on other car brands as well aside from mitsubishi and mazda. nothing against both brands. all im saying is, expand your list of choices. (Y)

ProNoob88
UB Junior Member

Post by ProNoob88 » 08 Mar 2014, 7:15 pm

A civic ?

autofreak
UB Junior Member

Post by autofreak » 08 Mar 2014, 7:41 pm

jazzzen wrote:I understand your point, but you will be able to get those including a bit of a sporty feel on other car brands as well aside from mitsubishi and mazda. nothing against both brands. all im saying is, expand your list of choices. (Y)
Can you suggest me some good choices then?

autofreak
UB Junior Member

Post by autofreak » 08 Mar 2014, 7:42 pm

ProNoob88 wrote:A civic ?
The only reason I am not considering a Civic is because I used to drive one back in India. I dont wanna buy the same car again!

ProNoob88
UB Junior Member

Post by ProNoob88 » 09 Mar 2014, 3:05 am

Altima 3.5
Altima coupe
Accord coupe 2008-2010
Seat leon FR 2008-2009
Maxima 2009