Volkswagen Golf R

Talk about car reviews & comparisons, buying advice & suggestions, spy shots etc.
TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 18 Sep 2009, 12:56 am

The successor to the R32 and now the "most powerful and fastest-accelerating Golf ever produced". Behold the Golf R. The '32' is missing from the name this time because VW has dumped the narrow-degree V6 for a 2.0 turbo unit that produces 265 hp and 350 Nm of torque. It is coupled with a 6 speed DSG and the acceleration is now 5.5 seconds to 100 (5.7 seconds with the manual tranny). Top speed is 250 km/h and it does all of this while returning 28 mpg :)

More info:
Edmunds.com wrote:Other performance mods include a reinforced block to handle the 17 pounds of boost, 13.5-inch front and 12.2-inch rear brake discs, a 1-inch dropped suspension and complex four-wheel drive that uses a precharged hydraulic system with the ability to transfer 100 percent of torque to the rear wheels in extreme cases.

Visual enhancements include new front and rear bumpers, LED daytime running lights, a rear diffuser, a dual central-exit exhaust and blacked-out grille and mirrors. Buyers will have a choice between a set of 18-inch five-spoke wheels with 225/40 tires, or larger 19-inch alloys wrapped in 235/35 rubber.

The inside gets a set of aluminum "R" kick plates, gray Alcantara seats and gloss black trim.

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 18 Sep 2009, 2:15 am

hmmm, there is always something about these golf's that attracts me to them!!..Even though the car doesn't look as aggressive as i'd like, the performance numbers look real good. Thats almost EvoX territory!! And I am glad they kept the DSG, it is one awesome transmission...

BTW, has anyone else noticed how manufactures are moving towards turbo vehicles? The new Bmw X6-M and X5-M are both going to be turbo charged. The next generation M3 will also be turbo charged. Apparently manufactures are doing this to meet strict regulations for the environmentalist? I think this is a real good mood...

TNT any word on its release? I want to go for a test drive asap!!

Rogue
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Infiniti G35 06

Post by Rogue » 18 Sep 2009, 3:37 am

dude ... i heard rumours of a golf r36 ??? i think it was jus crap .... the numbers sound goood but a high displacement na engines wud have been more fun i think !!!

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 18 Sep 2009, 6:35 am

N/A was the thing of the past....there are more tuning capabilities and better numbers with turbo cars with simple mods..even a reflash would give you more hp compared to a N/A tune!! Turbo cars have a better $ to POWER ratio compared to N/A!!

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:clio197

Post by kingkenny » 18 Sep 2009, 10:15 am

another evo sti ?

ROJ
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Hyundai Coupe

Post by ROJ » 18 Sep 2009, 11:15 am

Golf is still the leader in Pocket Rockets; even though the car is growing bigger in size. Its just so balanced &efficient when it comes to performance. Love this car if only we got competent dealers to service them.. How much r they pricing it?

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 18 Sep 2009, 1:53 pm

Tamu wrote:hmmm, there is always something about these golf's that attracts me to them!!..Even though the car doesn't look as aggressive as i'd like, the performance numbers look real good. Thats almost EvoX territory!! And I am glad they kept the DSG, it is one awesome transmission...

BTW, has anyone else noticed how manufactures are moving towards turbo vehicles? The new Bmw X6-M and X5-M are both going to be turbo charged. The next generation M3 will also be turbo charged. Apparently manufactures are doing this to meet strict regulations for the environmentalist? I think this is a real good mood...

TNT any word on its release? I want to go for a test drive asap!!
I feel you Tamu, always had a soft side for these Golfs myself.
True, almost half of the BMW range is now turbo (7 series included!) and the next M5 is gonna get the mad engine from the X6 M. Not too sure about the M3 though, maybe you mean the M5?
No idea on release yet.
ROJ wrote:How much r they pricing it?
More than the last one :D

docaam
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:G35s and 370Z

Post by docaam » 03 Oct 2009, 9:36 pm

Not sure when it will come here...but if the condition remains nice this is a must buy not me :)

Bookings are on in Germany

Check this video of both Golf R20 and Scirocco R, looks amazinggggg

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/20/vide ... the-track/