LHD conversion in UAE?

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
iGreek
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:Toyota Supra

Post by iGreek » 03 Feb 2010, 11:36 am

I have a Toyota Supra in Australia that is sitting in my friend's garage (I lived in Australia for 12 years before coming to UAE).

My question is, is there anyone in the UAE that can do a RHD to LHD conversion?

My second question is, if there was someone who could do the conversion, would I be able to register the car in Dubai?

The car is highly modified, single turbo modified in Japan before I imported it into Sydney. Would that make it hard to register the car and would I be a target for the cops like I was back in Sydney?

Anyone with any answers to the above please feel free to post...it will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
JP

Here is a photo of my baby back in Sydney

hk20
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:2011 Nissan Tiida HB - JDM Project

Post by hk20 » 03 Feb 2010, 11:40 am

If you import it here and then do the conversion you can definitely not register it in DUBAI because converted cars are not accepted as per the RTA rules. I think another safe bet would be to do the conversion in Australia itself and get it imported then you might have luck, because when imported it would show a LHD status. I hope some senior members can shed more info on this matter.

BTW thats a clean looking supra. (Y)

May i ask what rims are those ?

iGreek
UB Junior Member

Post by iGreek » 03 Feb 2010, 11:42 am

Thanks hk20...doing the conversion in Australia would cost around 1/2 the value of the car. I can't justify spending that much money, then spend more to bring it over etc etc. I'm better off selling it in that case and buying another one locally.

hk20
UB Advanced Member

Post by hk20 » 03 Feb 2010, 11:50 am

^ regarding that it would cost i guess around 8k+ for the conversion here, you could register the car if you have some high level contacts here otherwise i guess its a sad story. :(

Buying one locally, orginal LHD will definitely cost from 50k+ to about 75k stock with minor mods. If your able to justify the price then i will try and direct you to some places to check out for supra.

Check out AJMAN USED CAR LOT there is TOPSECRET a place for all JDM cars, heard they have some LHD supras lying there.

Someone please help with directions to TOPSECRET AJMAN.

iGreek
UB Junior Member

Post by iGreek » 03 Feb 2010, 11:54 am

Thanks hk20, that's why I joined the forums, to find out if I can import one and convert it, and if not, to find out where I can find another Supra.

If anyone can give me directions to places selling supras I'd appreciate it. I've had three Supras in the last 8 years...amazing cars and reliable...

hk20
UB Advanced Member

Post by hk20 » 03 Feb 2010, 11:59 am

^ the place i mentioned TOPSECRET Ajman has some 3-4 orginal LHD supras lying around with them, i think you should go check that out first. If your not satisfied with that i will try and source some for sale anywhere around.

Since this topic is now getting diverted to looking for supra i would suggest you make a new topic WANTED: LHD supra and give the description of the condition of the car, mods etc etc price etc.

Or else we would have our admin send us warnings for going off-topic . :D

ekU
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:05 Z33 6MT TN ST + 92 mark2 1JZ TT

Post by ekU » 03 Feb 2010, 12:19 pm

igeek y dont u buy 1994 clean NA supra!!!
i think its worth it cuz now days its very hard to find clean LHD supra's but 1 of our meber SoarerTOR(sorry dont rember exactly) have orignal LHD twin turbo black supra for sale. and he is asking for 65k he told me its a clean car!!!

iGreek
UB Junior Member

Post by iGreek » 03 Feb 2010, 12:33 pm

Yeah, might start a new thread. SoarerTOR...I'll look him up...especially if he's selling a black TT LHD Supra...!!!

Ozimandius
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Mazda Miata MX-5 NA

Post by Ozimandius » 03 Feb 2010, 12:49 pm

That is one sweet looking Supra bud.

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 03 Feb 2010, 2:21 pm

Question has been asked a gazillion times, the answer is: NO
Search is your friend.
Anyways, better off selling it there and getting a new whip here. I know the directions to Top Secret Ajman, are you familiar with UAE roads?

Mr_boost
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:09 FJ + 05 Z Convertible

Post by Mr_boost » 03 Feb 2010, 3:04 pm

better to buy a car from here ... dont go in the deep of conversion you will get nothing other than frustration !!!

iGreek
UB Junior Member

Post by iGreek » 03 Feb 2010, 4:22 pm

Yes I am familiar with UAE roads, throw some direction at me and I'll find my way.
TNT wrote:Question has been asked a gazillion times, the answer is: NO
Search is your friend.
Anyways, better off selling it there and getting a new whip here. I know the directions to Top Secret Ajman, are you familiar with UAE roads?

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 04 Feb 2010, 11:44 pm

- Go on Emirates Road towards Sharjah and take the Ajman exit (bridge turning towards left)
- Keep going and there will be a single right-most lane taking you into Ajman
- When you enter, keep going straight and after a while the road will be divided into a bridge on your left three lanes and road on the right, take the bridge
- Keep going straight and after a while you will see Ajman City Centre on your right, keep straight
- Soon you'll see a board on your right saying Ajman Car Souq

iGreek
UB Junior Member

Post by iGreek » 05 Feb 2010, 8:01 am

Thanks TNT, I might head out there tomorrow and see what I they got.

hk20, the wheels are Elegante Black Witch, 18 x 9front & 18 x 10rear, with some amazing deep dish on the back.

Ozimandius, it was built as a show car for my business, my friend's panel beating shop (he is by no doubt the best spray painter in Sydney) and my other friend's wheel/tyre business and my cousin's car stereo business. When I bought it, the paint was absolutely S*#%...has it respreayed in 202 factory black, retrimmed the interior, and modified the S^&@ out of the car in everyway possible but without going overboard with the body kit. It came with the bomex front bar, blitz side skirts and rear bar, and a GT wing. I ended up keeping the side skirts and rear bar, but took the GT wing off and put a different front bar on it.

It went from this

To this

Stereo is all Pioneer, deck with touch screen/dvd, twiters, speakers (front and rear) 2 subs in the boot and two amps.

Engine has too many mods to list but it has forged internal, you know what a Supra can do with BPU mods, imagine with forged rods and pistons... :)

That is my third Supra, my first was aero top, which was stolen, second was a hard top, which was written off in a car accident just a week after I sold it, this one is sitting in a garage in Sydney until I figure out what to do with it.

hk20
UB Advanced Member

Post by hk20 » 06 Feb 2010, 1:52 pm

Nice car igreek. Best of luck in finding a good LHD TT Supra (Y)