Coolant Mystery

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
zeemmee
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:03Patrol_09Pajero3.0v6swb[late]

Post by zeemmee » 13 Apr 2010, 8:54 am

Has been a week since I replaced my 05 civic 's radiator with a new one.Have taken it to couple of mechanics , there ain't no leakage from any place, no visible signs at all. But after every 80-90 kms in a straight run the engine looses coolant.The needle begins to rise up slowly until its full hot.If i fill it up it works for sometime & LO! :| the coolant is gone again !!.Any thoughts where the coolant vanishes?

Rogue
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Infiniti G35 06

Post by Rogue » 13 Apr 2010, 9:04 am

the cap .... a small crack wud b the problem ... on the coolant reserve itself ... there r screw around it tht cud b loosened !!!

zeemmee
UB Dedicated Member

Post by zeemmee » 13 Apr 2010, 11:25 am

Just Replaced the cap yesterday it has but 'delayed' the overheating issue, it shows improvement but still keeps getting hot slowly & steadily. :( .Fans work fine,coolant circulates well, water pump is ok, anything important I am missing to check?

RasHooD
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo

Post by RasHooD » 13 Apr 2010, 11:28 am

If coolant level drops, you can be nearly sure that its a leak, even if its a very minor small pin prick one that releases pressurized vaopurs that you may not be able to see. If you cannot notice coolant dripping under the car, its probably that. You can notice dry solutes somewhere if the engine bay is clean.

Leaking parts can be anything, from radiator, pipes, thermostat housing, water pump or block plugs.

There is a possibility of a BHG too. (Blown head gasket)

alexEF
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:1991 Honda Civic Hatchback

Post by alexEF » 13 Apr 2010, 11:32 am

if there's no leakage... check also the thermostat...

toleg
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:honda

Post by toleg » 13 Apr 2010, 12:20 pm

RasHooD wrote:If coolant level drops, you can be nearly sure that its a leak, even if its a very minor small pin prick one that releases pressurized vaopurs that you may not be able to see. If you cannot notice coolant dripping under the car, its probably that. You can notice dry solutes somewhere if the engine bay is clean.

Leaking parts can be anything, from radiator, pipes, thermostat housing, water pump or block plugs.

There is a possibility of a BHG too. (Blown head gasket)
agree on this (Y)

some lick could be from small hoses hidden under or behind where-in its hard to see by a naked eye

you can do this : top-up the coolant run the engine until the operating temperature then listen and look in the engine bay a try to look for the lick im sure its one of the busted hose.

same thing happen to me (but not that full overheat as i know what the my engine is acapable off :D :D )

after doing this for few time, i cant really fine the problem until ive heard a noise coming from a small lick in the hose(spitting) but before its goes down because of the engine bay heat its is vaporised already, hence no coolant fluid on the floor.

might help

zeemmee
UB Dedicated Member

Post by zeemmee » 13 Apr 2010, 12:45 pm

toleg wrote: after doing this for few time, i cant really fine the problem until ive heard a noise coming from a small lick in the hose(spitting) but before its goes down because of the engine bay heat its is vaporised already, hence no coolant fluid on the floor.

might help
That's quite close for explaining the mystery of vanishing coolant, Thanks guys,
Now it will be for the doctors who will find the culprit & the cure.

kartoos100
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:08 IS300 + 05 Civic

Post by kartoos100 » 13 Apr 2010, 3:30 pm

I would call this topic " The Mysterious Case of Engine Coolant" :)

GTtwinCam
UB Senior Member

Post by GTtwinCam » 13 Apr 2010, 6:08 pm

When I changed my corolla's radiator, the mechanic told me that I'd lose some coolant in the beginning. Though the reason he gave was that a new radiator takes some time to fill all the series of pipes inside it. But the coolant loss only lasted 2-3 days in my case.

3mro
UB Senior Member

Post by 3mro » 13 Apr 2010, 8:37 pm

Wht a coincidence !!! i'm having the same problem in my car ...
the coolant seems to be leaking from sumwhere and the car starts heating up ...
yesterday i was stuck in traffic on emirates road and all of a sudden the car heated up
i waited till it cooled dwn and took off again ... it slowly started heating up again
but as soon as i was on a clear road and was on a steady and fast spead the temperature came back to normal ...

my compressor seems to making a weird noise ... i checked with a mechanic he told me tht the compressor pulley had been spoil soo i'll need to change the whole compressor ...

could u guys help me by telling me wht exactly the compressor does ?? becoz the fan seems to be running slow and needs a push to make it going...

toleg
UB Advanced Member

Post by toleg » 13 Apr 2010, 9:54 pm

GTtwinCam wrote:When I changed my corolla's radiator, the mechanic told me that I'd lose some coolant in the beginning. Though the reason he gave was that a new radiator takes some time to fill all the series of pipes inside it. But the coolant loss only lasted 2-3 days in my case.
proper radiator - cooling system bleeding is not been done, that why you loosing coolant since there are still air inside the block/hose/radiator thats the reason for that (Y)

toleg
UB Advanced Member

Post by toleg » 13 Apr 2010, 9:56 pm

@ 3mro compressor as par as know is for the A/C nothing to do with the over heating :roll:

Rogue
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Infiniti G35 06

Post by Rogue » 13 Apr 2010, 10:33 pm

^^^ not if hes driving an american ...i remember tht the old chevrolat cavaliar had the ac n radiator directly connected ...

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 13 Apr 2010, 10:53 pm

if nothing is leaking then its most likely your thermostat....

ROJ
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Hyundai Coupe

Post by ROJ » 14 Apr 2010, 1:11 pm

Such problems are a mystery and a biatch!!! Had the same on my fiat... couldnt understand why... I dont think and hope its not your Head gasket.. Check the following: are your elec. fans kicking in at the right time before your coolant temp gets too hot? and do you have any tumors/balooning in 1 of your rubber hoses?