turbo defects to car

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
ImportFX
UB Senior Member

Post by ImportFX » 15 Mar 2006, 4:15 am

just checked som websites nd it suggested that 'turbos' or 'superchargers' damage the engine nd wear the power out of engine gradually...u hav to change turbo after som tym, other parts lyk heads,pistons rings should also b replaced ,and an engine rebuild every 40,000kms....plus it also damages the drivetrain slowly...transmission is also affected but transmission of skyline nd supra can handle the power for alot of tym(BUT STILL DAMAGES IT)...even supercars lyk koenigsegg,,it's supercharger wears out after couple of sprints...
thats y foreign people dont hav enough bhp on their cars and prefer natural aspirated engines then japanesecars..unlike arabs who put extremely powerful turbos on their car(som are too well modded but)..

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 15 Mar 2006, 11:22 am

( i feel another shot of UB cash coming my way...)

When running "boost", in a form of a turbocharger or supercharger you wear the engine out more faster. This is often also called "FI" or Forced Induction. With a Super- or a Turbocharger you force in more air than the engine actually should get. A normal aspirated (NA) engine "sucks" in the air/fuel mixture, and now you'll be forcing more mixture in.

For instance, you have a 2.0 Liter, 4 banger engine. That's 0.5 liter per cylinder. Everytime the intake valve opens, it sucks in the air/fuel mixture.. You'll have 0.5 L of that in each cylinder.. that gives you X horsepower. With a turbo or a supercharger, let's say you force in double of that amount. Now each cylinder will have 1 L of air/fuel mixture, virtually giving you a 4.0 liter engine.. that's why you have more power.

On the long run, this aint healthy. This is why you have big blocks in old corvettes and mustangs, or even modest porsches that run without any problems with the original parts after 20 years.

Japanese engines are better tuned and therefor will have less "chances" on the longer run. For example, Albertho555's type R won't run (i guess) without changing anything in 20 years. Because honda is really good in tuning engines, they run the engines at their "maximum output".

See it as a person running. You're capable of running, say 30 kmph... if you run a 10 km distance.. you dont do that at 30km/h all the time. You'll run gradually 20 km/h and sprint the last few hundred meters.

For example, corvette LS1 engines "only" produce 350 hp out of a 5.7 L. That's 61 hp per Liter. A honda s2000 produces 220 hp out of a 2 L (numbers might be a tad off), thats 110 horsepower per liter.. It's used more. But in 20 years, the 'vette is still running without many problems, whereby the Honda will need new engine parts and such.

About transmissions.. trannies are usually built to handle a certain set of power. If you have a 200 hp car, then usually your transmission can handle up to 250 or something. If you put a turbo on a car, and generate a whopping 400 hp, then your clutch and transmissions will break pretty soon.

Therefor, car modding is a bottomless money pit.. If you upgrade X, you also need to upgrade Y.

jarrah
UB Advanced Member

Post by jarrah » 23 Mar 2006, 11:13 pm

thanks man for the inforamtion
ur correct because the even the stock skyline turbo has to be changed every 60,000km because the pistons and cyclenders in such cars gets wider and thats why these types of car r not for everyday use

t-dogg
UB Dedicated Member

Post by t-dogg » 24 Mar 2006, 12:27 pm

i smell alot of rubbish in these posts.. most of mikeh's post is stupid and irrelevant but little is true... but god..
jarrah wrote:thanks man for the inforamtion
ur correct because the even the stock skyline turbo has to be changed every 60,000km because the pistons and cyclenders in such cars gets wider and thats why these types of car r not for everyday use
you have no idea what is the difference between a TURBO and an ENGINE. and i am sure that you have never owned a skyline so where did you get all that crap from

first of all.. I wanna make it clear that there is a difference between engines originally turbo.. or have been kitted with a turbo (like a honda turbo etc..). An originally turbo'd engine comes standard with forged pistons (NOT the aftermarket 2000$ ones your thinking about) these are made to withstand the extra amount of explosions and work that the cylinders are producing. Turbo motors come with lower compression and different internals made to withstand all the extra punishment. Its true that a turbo engine does have a shorter lifespan that an NA engine. But you guys are full of shit when you say it wont last 60,000 or even 200,000! most of turbo engines can last a very long lifespam when looked after well.. when treated like a turbo engine and not just any NA engine. BULLSHIT you have to rebuild them every 40,000k's.. where the %#%$ did you get that rubbish from??? a rebuild (changing pistons, rings, seals, gasket etc etc.) is only required when the engine is blown.. this is usually from OVERBOOSTInG and continuous missuse. .. also the use of cheap aftermarket parts or modifying the engine in a way that it can not support has a huge effect.. Nissan/Mitisubishi/Subaru i think are alot brighter than you lot and know what the hell they are making.

secondly, BULLSHIT a skyline turbo has to be replaced every 60,000k's. Skyline's turbo is cermaic and can crack much easier than metal turbos. But they are much faster at spooling... But the only way they can break is from constant miss-use. Like not running a turbo timer.. or OVERBOOSTING IT (a standard turbo in a skyline can easily blow after 15psi)... I have a mate that has a 1989 skyline GTST. He has done over 220,000 on the engine and runs a straight 160 compression on all 6 cylinders (totally healthy engine). whats better is that he still has the original turbo in good running condiiton from 1989!! (you can tell its original beacuse it has its original casing). Skyline engines are named "Bullet proof"

So don't blame the engines. the drivers play a VERY BIG ROLE on how long these engines last for

thank you very much!
Last edited by t-dogg on 24 Mar 2006, 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

t-dogg
UB Dedicated Member

Post by t-dogg » 24 Mar 2006, 12:29 pm

i use to have a skyline gts4.. everyday driven.. and now i have a skyline gtst. i use it everyday

its a car.. its made to be driven everyday.

but if you have a honda and u wanna make your head big by turboing it.. then open your wallet wide open for a stupid assed honda that performs like shit and cant handle shit when turbo'd

ImportFX
UB Senior Member

Post by ImportFX » 24 Mar 2006, 12:40 pm

t-dogg wrote:
t-dogg wrote:an for the inforamtion
. Its true that a turbo engine does have a shorter lifespan that an NA engine. But you guys are full of shit when you say it wont last 60,000 or even 200,000! most of turbo engines can last a very long lifespam when looked after well.. when treated like a turbo engine and not just any NA engine. BULLSHIT you have to rebuild them every 40,000k's.. where the %#%$ did you get that rubbish from??? a rebuild (changing pistons, rings, seals, gasket etc etc.) is only required when the engine is blown.. this is usually from OVERBOOSTInG and continuous missuse. ..
thank you very much!
:| wht the hell was that.....ny modifying company webiste u visit ...they SAY 40,000KMS....they wont say that for ny bullshit reason..every1 wants the number to b more then that....chek ny gr8 modifying company webiste,..hennessey,hks,da motorsport,garrett,novitec rosso etc....they care bout their comapny's repo...thats y they make it clear from before,so that no problem is created afterwards...ofcourse turbos can last atleast 1000000kms or miles..but then that turbo is only able to take u to a gas station or police station for that cancer emitting fusions nd smoke out of the exhaust....talkin bout missuse..then y do someone put bigger turbo in their car wen they can use a normal 1 litre 3 cylinder vehicle...even gemballa wen producing thier gtr650 porsche using t-80 turbo is advicing to change parts(dunno which one but still) fter 40,000-50,000kms...now no one can chalenge gemballa....being famous for modding porsche nd bmw...nd also hamman which modifies cars aerodynamics nd engine,but they dont use turbo's or superchargers cause they also stated that it wears the engines power later,,, nd so they modify it by changing pistons or other stuff..
Thank you too!!
Last edited by ImportFX on 24 Mar 2006, 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ImportFX
UB Senior Member

Post by ImportFX » 24 Mar 2006, 12:44 pm

using built in turbos or that are fitted already will last long bt not that long still..ofcourse more then 50,000kms but still....nd thats the reason y european comapnies usually use kkk turbos in their car,doesnt produce that much power but still it lasts long nd not damaging engine....thats y na engines hav more repo than ny modded engine...(nd most people say y buy a ferrari 400hp wen u can get 900hp skyline nd all) :!:

jarrah
UB Advanced Member

Post by jarrah » 24 Mar 2006, 9:15 pm

man u didnt understand wat i meant
ur correct but the miss use of the driver and the skills he has is the most important thing but here in the uae if u go to any garage u willl find a skyline because the cars here they r not the orginal skylines they are integrated and they come in parts. so the people here know shit abt skyline, and if u find a skyline in the uae, the driver does wont have the original key for the car too.
come over and checkout the crazy driving here they drive at high boost and they dont take car of the turbo they just buy the car for racing, drifitng, and they dont know how to use it. as u said depending on the driver.

grayfox666
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Volkswagen Tin Can

Post by grayfox666 » 24 Mar 2006, 9:53 pm

Jarrah is right.In uae all the sky's owners are driving like crazy and dont care for any engine break downs.If they can afford to tune their engines for up to 1000 hp they they for sure have money for any repairing.
And what ive heard is that the engine gets fckuked up at about 40000 kms when is uses N2O much.The engine cant take much with that.But originally fitted turbos from factory can run for a long time.My friends car is turboed and it went for more than 400000 kms and he didnt ghange any major parts(pistons.rings etc........and he drivives like a crazy maniac pushing the engine to the max.So it depends how u tune ur engine.Putting a gt40 garret turbo on Corrola without any aother changes then you are gonna have 4 holes in your hood. :)

Chillay
UB Addicted Member

Post by Chillay » 24 Mar 2006, 10:12 pm

well it is true about the car owners here in the uae not all but most of them just know ..they got the money but no knowledge of the cars build up
They call N20 ...gas.....
and just like to wreck cars...

But wat i dont understand is y T dogg is so angry and why he is flamin people for no reason...

Accord98
Vehicle:Toyoda

Post by Accord98 » 24 Mar 2006, 10:58 pm

T-dogg - u must be a woman cause ur PMS'ing

By the way, look up the word "respect" ..... Seems like u dont have any

(meet you in the fight forum?) 8)

t-dogg
UB Dedicated Member

Post by t-dogg » 25 Mar 2006, 2:45 am

hahahaha

sorry yea i was a bit too angry.. a bit of misunderstanding.. but it was pretty sad hearing turbo cars labeled that

Accord98
Vehicle:Toyoda

Post by Accord98 » 25 Mar 2006, 10:31 am

cool...

at least ur man enough to admit ur mistake ! - :)

I can understand, someone dissin your beloved skyline, id be offended too, just like someone saying....
but if you have a honda and u wanna make your head big by turboing it.. then open your wallet wide open for a stupid assed honda that performs like shit and cant handle shit when turbo'd
* Now u knw why i said something * - hehehehe

Chillay
UB Addicted Member

Post by Chillay » 25 Mar 2006, 12:37 pm

af5amto 5arakto....

lol

Translation:- U make burn to him u barbeque him~>.. makes no sense i know .....

t-dogg
UB Dedicated Member

Post by t-dogg » 25 Mar 2006, 12:41 pm

bro no disrespect to hondas.. but if you want a honda keep it as it is.. dont put a turbo and make it something it isnt

but yes.. everything i said was true neway