lancer couple 99 model need

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
kingkenny
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:clio197

Post by kingkenny » 25 Mar 2006, 10:51 pm

hi , friend !

i want to modify my car , i need more hp ! i have experience to drive a 110 hp collorola and i feel the power is better than my lancer ,so if it is prossible to mod my engine in a legal way , i really want to do it ( my car is dubai number )!

i guess i will try the intake ,and exhaust frist !

if i want to increase 30% hp with a better intake and exhaust ,is it enough? anything i can do with the engine in legal?where i should go ? and how much ?

Accord98
Vehicle:Toyoda

Post by Accord98 » 25 Mar 2006, 11:01 pm

hey King Kenny,

may i ask what your engine size is?

placing a Cold Air Intake will add some Hp and will not get u in trouble with the cops.
An exhaust might, depending on how loud it is!
Refer to the "exhaust" forums to see where u can get it done....

On whether u get a 30% increase, i cant answer that as im not an expert...but there are some ppl. on this website that can help :)

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member

Post by kingkenny » 26 Mar 2006, 12:50 am

thanks ,accrod ! i am totally tyro for modify car !

my engine is 16valve 1.6 L ,i am not sure how to answer you !tomorrow , i try to take a photo of my engine !

i was try to put a intake in shj , they told me lancer intake is differet with the another ,there is some electric system connect with the intake and they don't have one for lancer !

adj911 who on the website , we met last week ,he told me he know the some place and he will help me ! he is a really nice guy !

about the exhaust , the only thing i need is power ,not the noise !
is it possible to install one can give me much more power but without the noise ?

Accord98

Post by Accord98 » 26 Mar 2006, 9:41 am

yea it is possible, but exhausts in general dont give that much power with out a combination of Intake and Headers.....

You have to really look around for a place that does quality stuff - and then it could also be expensive......

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member

Post by kingkenny » 26 Mar 2006, 9:54 am

what is header ? can you post a pic for me ?before i am thinking put the intake frist ,after the exhaust do it one by one ,cause i want to test the different !

how about your car , accord ! do you change anything in your car ? and what the different?

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 26 Mar 2006, 12:07 pm

Headers for your car would look like something like this..

An exhaust alone is not really worth it.. it gives you a lot of noise, and only a maximum of 5hp. An intake will give you a good throathy sound, and a good bit of acceleration. Headers and exhaust (combi) will give you more high end power, but with a higher engine noise as well. "Legal" mogs is more in a way of invisible mods, UD pulley, cams, ...

But as Accord said, an intake is a good place to start..

jarrah
UB Advanced Member

Post by jarrah » 26 Mar 2006, 1:11 pm

headers
exaughst system
small turbo
fly wheel
racing clutch
head work
racing wire
injectors
cams

mikeh
UB Super Member

Post by mikeh » 26 Mar 2006, 1:34 pm

jarrah wrote:headers
exaughst system
small turbo
fly wheel
racing clutch
head work
racing wire
injectors
cams
Sure that all of that is legal? :D

Accord98

Post by Accord98 » 26 Mar 2006, 5:43 pm

Yes what Mikeh said - he is a real expert ~~!

As for me, no i dont have any mods ....for now :D

mikeh
UB Super Member

Post by mikeh » 26 Mar 2006, 7:06 pm

I'm not an expert, I just like cars :)

Kingkenny, for your car.. check which mods there are available, what your budget is and such.. How far you wanna go. Basically, I think your possibilities range from "intake, exhaust, ..." to "drop in a 4G63 and up the boost" :)

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member

Post by kingkenny » 26 Mar 2006, 11:56 pm

for me all i want to do is increase the power in legal way !if i change the engine , i don't think i can pass from dubai !!

t-dogg
UB Dedicated Member

Post by t-dogg » 27 Mar 2006, 4:50 am

you don't want to increase power, trust me.. u just want noise to make your car sound like its got huge amounts of power

AIRFILTER is the wayyyyyyy! its the only mod you'll need!! it doesnt increase horsepower in anyway.. because any increase in horsepower gained by an airfilter.. is lost by heat!:) thats what the box is there for my friends

and a muffler if you really can get away with it.... but a muffler on a nonturbo.. sounds not only very loud but makes a horrible noise..also u can loose power if you choose the wrong size for a muffler as it could cause drag.. and extractors and a full exhaust system is pretty expensive considering your choice of a car

lol i'm not putting words in your mouth but think of it this way.. you want a car to work with, your base car has to be something with a decent enough engine to modify.. and a podfilter doesnt increase horsepower.. just makes a super duper cool sound

its like.. why do we put funky blow off valves.. we just want a sound of a powerfulll car... most of the time we dont really want to put a part on a car that doesnt make a noticable difference, even if it does on the dyno.. we want ppl to know!! At the end.. no matter how many ppl deny this.. you feel like you are represented by the car you drive.. and u just want ppl to look at you as you lurk past a crowd...

You will not achieve 30% increase of horsepower easily... by the sounds of it, i think you have just a sohc engine. you'll end up spending more money trying to reach that goal than probably increasing a DOHC engine by 20%

in conclusion.. leave it alone, its not worth it

PS. I really dont want ppl attacking me.. if you think i'm an %#%$, go ahead and think that. but its my opinion and im sure a couple of you will understand where im coming from..

mikeh
UB Super Member

Post by mikeh » 27 Mar 2006, 10:00 am

t-dogg wrote:you don't want to increase power, trust me.. u just want noise to make your car sound like its got huge amounts of power
errrr... ?
t-dogg wrote: your base car has to be something with a decent enough engine to modify..
How do you define a "decent enough" engine? It has to have a lot of displacement?
t-dogg wrote: and a podfilter doesnt increase horsepower.. just makes a super duper cool sound
A pod filter usually does increase horsepower.. simple because it has less restrictions (unless your stock airbox is really good) ... but when combined with a cai (the tubing) - what also gives your super duper sound.. it gives noticable differences.
t-dogg wrote: its like.. why do we put funky blow off valves.. we just want a sound of a powerfulll car...
Actually, people put blow off valves to release any built up pressure. Sure people choose brand X or brand Y, because it has a noticable sound.. but still, the majority do buy one for why it was built, to release boost when the TB closes..

t-dogg wrote: we want ppl to know!!
That's why people put stickers on their car.
t-dogg wrote: You will not achieve 30% increase of horsepower easily...
Actually, it is possible.. even though i'd say it is "easy", if kingkenny would go the FI route with low boost. Hell, he could even get a bolt on kit, and I'd happily install it for him.

http://www.turbo-kits.com/lancer_turbo_kits.html has a 56% increase, on 6PSI.

t-dogg wrote: in conclusion.. leave it alone, its not worth it
This is the only point where I might agree on. I'd suggest to KingKenny to think twice before dropping in such an amount of money. Modifying a car costs you money, and you'll never see that money back, unless you are sponsored and win things..

Furthermore, when you increase something, other things will follow. Keep in mind that with more aggressiveness of mods, you'll be upgrading things like transmission, clutches, suspension, tires, body stiffness... as well.
t-dogg wrote: ..but its my opinion and im sure a couple of you will understand where im coming from..
Hey this is the Internet, you are free to give your opinion. In the end, these are discussion forums, so we're open for discussion. But you should be able to take some critisism. Nobody thinks your a @#$%, but people like me like to respond to things you said.. that's communication in the end.

[/rant] :o

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member

Post by kingkenny » 27 Mar 2006, 2:14 pm

thanks for advise !this is my forth lancer , next i will try a evo or some another better cars !before that i want to try some modify , and get the experience !want to know the different , see what i can do !may be it doesn't worth it , may be this is a risk for my car , doesn't matter , it will be better to my next car ! i want learn it !

anyway , thanks ! i will do it really soon !!

t-dogg
UB Dedicated Member

Post by t-dogg » 28 Mar 2006, 9:51 am

a decent engine doesnt mean it has to be big displacement. i meant a good base engine that has a fair stock power and a cheap $perHP rate.

how do u define a bolt on kit being an EASY 30% gain? and have u done one of these b4? r u talkin from experience or something??.. i dont trust a bolt on kit at all its full of shit.. ur car will blow easily.

Unless your running extreme amounts of boost.. a standard BOV is more than enough to do most jobs.. an aftermarket blowoffvalve IF it ever changed performance it would be that it would looseee power not gain. As some are set out to release more pressure than needed.. just so it has a nice sound to it

also im sure i mentioned that aftermarket podfilters cause loss of power due to heat.. as its more exposed to the engine heat.. most of the airfilter boxes have been designed to do a good job.. if you get a cheap plug on one, it will just make noise and thats it.. but yea i guess if you get a proper kit then its fair to say you have some power gains