TC vs SC

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 25 Mar 2011, 3:23 pm

VTEC Killer cams are not for DD what so ever. If you are seriously thinking of building your motor its best you have a 2nd car to DD with. You will hate driving with those cams on the roads.

Where is Toleg and Alberto? They can guide you best on which route to go with your car...

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 03 Jun 2011, 10:54 am

Turbochaged hands down!

there is a reason the gtcc guys go turbo over superchaged on k series.

With a sc it is obviously belt driven so sucks power from your engine to power it. lets say it uses 20% power to run it but give 50% power increase giving you a total of 30% extra power. (these numbers are totally made up). Compare this to a turbo where if it its perfectly matched to the engine it used 0% power.

So here is doesnt suit the kseries to start with as its a small 4 banger and doesn't have a lot of power to sacrifice.

The other reason turbo over sc on a k series

k's like to rev...sc's dont. more rotational mass on belts, drives, sc bearings etc The more you rev the more power the engine needs to power the supercharger. Also on high reving sc set ups expect to be going through belts a lot..

The other argument for turbo her is vtec and power band. The benefit of vtec is you have a small cam that is more efficient at low rpm then you switch to ya high cam which is designed for high rpm. What this means is the small cam will spool a turbo faster due to the cam being designed for low rpm then when vtec hits you should be on full boost to let her rip. On a sc you don't get the benefit of spooling up a turbo faster, just means you will make more power and the low cam and suck more on the high cam due to rotational loses.

The other reason for tc on a k is that the heads flow really well.

Now i am not against superchargers. The have their purpose. On a low reving high displacement v8 with poor head design (basically any old v8) they are the best thing to use, better than a turbo. It about matching your charger to your engine

theo_207GT
UB Junior Member

Post by theo_207GT » 03 Jun 2011, 2:05 pm

I would suggest going turbo. because the R's engine is "small" turbo's generally work better on small engines. this is because you actually need to use engine power to run a SC. so u cannot maximize the power produced by a SC. that being said, it depends entirely on the car. some cars respond better to TCs other respond better to SCs.

however, turbo's are generally cheaper. and if u can get hold of a twin-scroll turbo it will give you power throughout the entire rev-range much like a SC.

things to keep in mind when converting from an N/A to a forced induction system:

1. compression. it is very likely that the motor's compression would have to be dropped
2. internals. are the internals capable of handling the extra power?
3. a new exhaust manifold will be needed
4. transmission system. can the drive shafts, gear box etc handle the extra power?
5. intercooler. an intercooler is not NECESSARY as its primary purpose is to produce more power by cooling the compressed air. however, i would highly recommend getting one.
6. space. is there enough space to fit everything? today's car have VERY compact enginebays

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 03 Jun 2011, 2:31 pm

theo_207GT wrote:I would suggest going turbo. because the R's engine is "small" turbo's generally work better on small engines. this is because you actually need to use engine power to run a SC. so u cannot maximize the power produced by a SC. that being said, it depends entirely on the car. some cars respond better to TCs other respond better to SCs.

however, turbo's are generally cheaper. and if u can get hold of a twin-scroll turbo it will give you power throughout the entire rev-range much like a SC.

things to keep in mind when converting from an N/A to a forced induction system:

1. compression. it is very likely that the motor's compression would have to be dropped
use good fuel and you will be right, water meth is also an option
Plenty of turboed k series on stock internals. The seem strong enough
u.s. ebay will get you something cheap
4. transmission system. can the drive shafts, gear box etc handle the extra power?
Honda boxes are pretty strong
5. intercooler. an intercooler is not NECESSARY as its primary purpose is to produce more power by cooling the compressed air. however, i would highly recommend getting one.
Always run an intercooler when converting na to turbo. Heat will cause detonation, a cheap intercooler will save you many problems
6. space. is there enough space to fit everything? today's car have VERY compact enginebays
as said before plenty around, will fit easy. water to air intercooler is also an option when space is an issue
Some great point though for generally converting na to turbo

Fahrer
UB Addicted Member
Vehicle:AE86 Trueno

Post by Fahrer » 03 Jun 2011, 5:59 pm

Turbo Honda is the 8th deadly sin.

theo_207GT
UB Junior Member

Post by theo_207GT » 04 Jun 2011, 12:14 am

UAE NEWBIE wrote:
theo_207GT wrote:I would suggest going turbo. because the R's engine is "small" turbo's generally work better on small engines. this is because you actually need to use engine power to run a SC. so u cannot maximize the power produced by a SC. that being said, it depends entirely on the car. some cars respond better to TCs other respond better to SCs.

use good fuel and you will be right, water meth is also an option
Plenty of turboed k series on stock internals. The seem strong enough
u.s. ebay will get you something cheap
Honda boxes are pretty strong
Always run an intercooler when converting na to turbo. Heat will cause detonation, a cheap intercooler will save you many problems
as said before plenty around, will fit easy. water to air intercooler is also an option when space is an issue
Some great point though for generally converting na to turbo
yea those were just general things. got no experience with the R's so im in no position say what will and what cant work etc

Bahrain Type R
UB Addicted Member
Vehicle:Honda Civic Type R ep3

Post by Bahrain Type R » 25 Jul 2011, 7:33 am

Thank you so much guys for the tips

so far everything is cool i will be get an amount of 4.5k (45,000 DHS ) ( 11,000$ ) it should work fine for a 10-15 Psi DD Car ( i wanna DD The Damn thing :twisted: ) but i have a weak knowledge in turbo :(

is There any place in UAE Sell Full Turbo Kits in a good price ( a good brand not some Taiwan or china Stuff ) bahrain sucks in this Field , hondata i will get it from lap57 (5000 DHS ) and i will buy some stuff too :grin:

i will order the block internals, and i will be keeping the head stock ( JDM K20A has a very Aggresive Head it will do fine )

my Goal is 500 whp on 15 Psi ( pump Gas )

PS : the worst thing about turbo that i have to cancel the A\C :twisted:

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 03 Aug 2011, 4:00 pm

Bahrain Type R wrote:Thank you so much guys for the tips

so far everything is cool i will be get an amount of 4.5k (45,000 DHS ) ( 11,000$ ) it should work fine for a 10-15 Psi DD Car ( i wanna DD The Damn thing :twisted: ) but i have a weak knowledge in turbo :(

is There any place in UAE Sell Full Turbo Kits in a good price ( a good brand not some Taiwan or china Stuff ) bahrain sucks in this Field , hondata i will get it from lap57 (5000 DHS ) and i will buy some stuff too :grin:

i will order the block internals, and i will be keeping the head stock ( JDM K20A has a very Aggresive Head it will do fine )

my Goal is 500 whp on 15 Psi ( pump Gas )

PS : the worst thing about turbo that i have to cancel the A\C :twisted:
500whp is a decent ask. But as you said you will be using forged internals. Stock head will be fin, the k20a flows better stock than most import engines with $5k u.s put into them. Stock cams are pretty aggressive too for fi.

Personally i would do 1 big shipment from the states. Find a good company that deals with just honda and get everything from the 1 place. You will save a lot I think.

Find some u.s. based honda forum, join and ask who is goo to get a full turbo kit, hondata etc in one big hit.

Otherwise I would recommend FULLRACE they are not cheap, but some of the best turbo kits around. Not sure of their honda kits, but shoot them an email and tell them your situation.