TC vs SC

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
Bahrain Type R
UB Addicted Member
Vehicle:Honda Civic Type R ep3

Post by Bahrain Type R » 22 Mar 2011, 9:31 pm

Hello guys

it has been a while due to the silly situation in bahrain and the huge lack of cash in my pocket :grin:

i sold my eclipse :( and had to pay most of the money i got from selling her to the bank.

but i still have my pride and joy ,, my baby girl " R ".
still nothing new just a new eibach suspension ( coilovers and springs ) and replaced my Brake discs and the pads as well and fixed my exhaust and got me a K&N Cone Air filter ( just the cone ) and i expanded the throttle for more air induction ,, the car runs a lot better now she's smoother on the road and the VTEC is something Else now.

i'm Starting a project soon and i need some advice
should i go Turbo or SuperCharged

and what do i need " parts i mean " and how much it's gonna cost me for both applications

i'm so addicted to the thought .. it's always on my mind i had enough of N\A
time to put some REAL POWER on that girl :grin:

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 23 Mar 2011, 12:31 am

Here I go again: Torque steer.

kruel_dude
UB Addicted Member
Vehicle:Mitsubishi Lancer GT

Post by kruel_dude » 23 Mar 2011, 12:41 am

I guess Turbo will be a good idea, and as far as parts are concerned i guess u"ll be needing a TURBO with installaton kit, INTERCOOLER, INTERCOOLER PIPES, no idea about prices though.

CaL][CaB
UB Senior Member

Post by CaL][CaB » 23 Mar 2011, 12:48 am

Turbo.

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 23 Mar 2011, 2:32 am

Go Turbo - It's not that often people SC there Honda motors. I think it's mainly due to heat soak issue's.
There are alot of kits out there, you just have to choose the right one. Check out hondatech and see what the guys there are using. I think a small T3/T4 should be sufficient IMO, but going bigger isn't a bad idea either. My knowledge on K20 engine isn't that great, especially when it comes to FI.

Anyways, best of luck on your build..Do alot of read up and get some feedback from your tuner before buying parts...

Accord98
Vehicle:Toyoda

Post by Accord98 » 23 Mar 2011, 10:37 am

S/C IMO.

Some great and easy bolt on kits. Also, alot easier as a daily driver.

toleg
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:honda

Post by toleg » 23 Mar 2011, 10:50 am

who is going to built/tuner ?
diy?

ask your builder/tuner, what is his experience in doing that on k-series engine and ep3 body? (piping is quite hard on ep3 body)

then go from there, prices and parts and info are all over google.com :D

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 23 Mar 2011, 8:38 pm

Kraftwerks (Rotrex) or Buddy Club FTW.

Bahrain Type R
UB Addicted Member

Post by Bahrain Type R » 23 Mar 2011, 11:53 pm

thanks a lot guys

TNT : about the Torque Steer .. this problem can be fixed or avoid Bro

i've been reading a lot really from so many sites and i can see that Supercharging an ep3 is more common than Turbo ,, although in The GCC i kinda notice that people are going a lot to the Turbo Choice ..

i don't have a tuner now ,, i tune my own Car i learned how to tune the hondata :grin:
i don't do tune ups for anyone ,, Just for myself and i do Street Tune ,, never done a dyno Tune and my results are not Bad Really for a 22 years old beginner ! 8-)

i just have an advisor and a builder ,, he suggested this combination :

- Full Fuel System
- Kpro
- SuperCharger

and i'm set to go with 95 petrol and 7-10 psi with almost 60 to 90 hp into my Beast ,, it's gonna be intresting .

i checked for the prices for a rotrex supercharger and i have to admit ,, it is expensive :|
almost 144000 AED ( 1440 BD ) for the Stage one ( Sport level ) SC

http://www.rotrexsuperchargers.co.uk/Ro ... icEP3.html

i'm so interested Guys

if i wanna do it all right i'm gonna need like 3000 BD in hand ( 30000 AED )
labour work is not gonna be much
the installation is easy ! it takes 15 minutes to 30 minutes
and for the tune up i'm gonna let a tuner do it ,, my tuning experiance is nothing more than Natural aspiration.
i will get myself a new Kpro
new Tyres ( slicks maybe )
and i'm gonna see what else do i need ( mounts ,, new exhaust ,, intake .. ETC )

so i'm gonna hit the bank tomorrow and see how much i can get :roll:

docaam
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:G35s and 370Z

Post by docaam » 24 Mar 2011, 8:38 am

I will be going for SC in mine but after market SC is always better on bigger engines

toleg
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:honda

Post by toleg » 24 Mar 2011, 10:09 am

jackson racing got some decent sc

tc or sc will surely need an internal upgrade plus a good tuner, other wise you are just spending a lot of money to blow your engine faster.

k-pro is a must as well as afr reading as this is so important.

Bahrain Type R
UB Addicted Member

Post by Bahrain Type R » 25 Mar 2011, 3:31 am

i had some really interesting and a very long conversation with my builder and his tuner and among with several K series guys ...

it was so much fun and great to sit with some really hardcore honda Guys

a project was suggested on the meeting's table which i saw kinda interesting
we calculated the cost + adv vs Dis + Whp + daily usage + stock internals of course !

SuperCharger will cost me 2000 BD = almost 297 Whp depending on the tune adv : no lag ,, great power \ Dis : heat soak, torque steer, cost !

turbo will cost also almost 2200 BD = 285 whp \ Adv : power , sound :grin: \ Dis : lag , Hea , torque steer , installation on ep3's is kinda annoying !

K20\K24 will cost almost 1600 BD = 260 Whp \ Adv : Natural aspiration ,, daily usage ,, no heat problem , huge power for a N\A engine , i can tune it myself \ Dis : engine can be blown easily ( huge compression ) 8000 Rpm Redline unless i upgrade the oil pan (s2000 oil pan can do the trick )

3 Cars with K20 engines \ Three power mods

my builder suggested i go with the k20\k24 setup , he claimed that it will fit my driving style much better ( he says i'm a really good shifter and very accurate without looking to my Rpm Gauge he says i'm like synchronising with my car when driving with a really great response and reflexes ) :grin:

so i don't know really what to build ,, more researching i guess

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 25 Mar 2011, 4:30 am

I don't see how a 260whp N/A engine will be a reliable DD car. I had friends with turbo'd civics vs other friends with hardcore N/A builds. I found the Turbo'd Honda's were much more reliable (My friends and tuner agreed). I just don't see how a aggressive K20/K24 engine with cams and supporting mods will be a good DD. You will have retarded idling, stalling engine and you will be opening your head every 2-3 months to change the springs an retainers.

My suggestion would be to go with a small turbo with the k20/k24 combo. You will have displacement and not much turbo lag. If not you can go SC and get a intercooler setup to help with heat soak.

I also don't get why your making torque steer such a big reason. Which ever way you go with your mods, torque steer will be there...There just isn't much you can do about it... Don't let it be a reason for you not to go forward with your build. I am a fan of N/A builds. But at a certain point you have to stop and say $ to HP is not worth it + the car wont be that much enjoyable as it would be with turbo....

Like I said earlier, check HondaTech and see what people are saying in the FI forums.

Bahrain Type R
UB Addicted Member

Post by Bahrain Type R » 25 Mar 2011, 12:31 pm

i agree with you tamu

cuz i saw some crazy builds with a k20\k24 + turbo .. some really crazy results out there that drove my mind away :grin:

my dad gave me a really weird idea although he hates race cars but he said : sell your piece of crap and get yourself an EVO :!: ) i was like :|

i'm gonna have a sit with my builder and his friend ( an american ) who is an expert in hondas and he is a tuner, he claims that he created a beast .. this guy is talking VTEC killer Cams And 500WHP and Some really Crazy Sh*t :| ..

i kinda feel his friend is full of BullSh*t :grin: but we're gonna see about it

i have a goal to beat the most powerfull honda civic on the streets of bahrain ( H series engine over 600WHP .. 9.8 Seconds ) and this family ( bin 7asher motorsports ) is the living nightmare for every racer in Bahrain .. i once saw his car in front of me while cruising at night on the highway and i saw him ,, i didn't even dare to go faster than 100 !! it's a drag car cruising around on streets !!

i just came back from the garage i took my cousin's CRX to the garage and my flixable got cracked i don't know how but it did :twisted:

so i was driving with an open headers .. it waaaaaaaaaaaas AMAZING :grin:
the sound The Power i loved it :grin:

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 25 Mar 2011, 3:19 pm

Honestly speaking, Honda's are only good to a certain point. If you go to extreme with N/A setup its undrivable, if you go turbo you can kick some serious butt out there. But that much power on a FWD car is just ....not that much fun anymore lol.

I think your dad is right - it's time to upgrade...You can only be in the Honda scene for so long until everyone around you is killing you with there evo's and gti's. Plus $ to HP in evo's are awesome, and you have AWD..cant beat Pro's on that can you? 8-)

I think a Evo is the best bang for your buck .....