what is traction control ?

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
kingkenny
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:clio197

Post by kingkenny » 17 Jul 2006, 1:22 am

can some expain me what is it ?

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 17 Jul 2006, 3:36 am

A way to control your traction.. :)

Traction is the grip that your tires have on the asphalt. If your tires lose traction (if they lose grip), your car does not do what you ask it to do (corner, accelerate, brake..) and can becomes dangerous.

Example, if you accelerate hard and your tires loose traction, then the car does not move forward. (Yes, a burnout).

Traction control "things" are devices that prevent this loss of grip.

Often used for example in drifting... In drifting you need to loose this grip (in order to skid)... so you would disengage traction control.

Also, ABS (anti-lock brake system) is a form of traction control. If you brake, and your wheels block, they loose grip. With ABS they stay on the road and you can, for example, still steer.

Traction control compares the wheel speed to the car's speed. If your car drives 20 km/h, and your rear wheels are spinning at 50 km/h, then they -probably- lost grip. Despite being cool and such, it can be dangerous as well (right Ali?). So, a traction control system will prevent any further spinning of that wheel at that speed. For example, apply the brakes. The spinning wheel slows down and regain it's grip.

Say, an s2000 (RWD) has traction control enabled.. it enters a turn at a high speed and presses the gas, the wheels will accelerate and the car might skid a bit, but a computer will see that those rear wheels are turning at a higher speed than the front tires and will slow them down, so the corner (and driver) is saved and the car goes through the turn.

If you disengage traction control...

Hope this helps a bit buddy?

Michael

ALi
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda Accord 2007

Post by ALi » 17 Jul 2006, 4:03 pm

mikeh wrote:A way to control your traction.. :)

Traction is the grip that your tires have on the asphalt. If your tires lose traction (if they lose grip), your car does not do what you ask it to do (corner, accelerate, brake..) and can becomes dangerous.

Example, if you accelerate hard and your tires loose traction, then the car does not move forward. (Yes, a burnout).

Traction control "things" are devices that prevent this loss of grip.

Often used for example in drifting... In drifting you need to loose this grip (in order to skid)... so you would disengage traction control.

Also, ABS (anti-lock brake system) is a form of traction control. If you brake, and your wheels block, they loose grip. With ABS they stay on the road and you can, for example, still steer.

Traction control compares the wheel speed to the car's speed. If your car drives 20 km/h, and your rear wheels are spinning at 50 km/h, then they -probably- lost grip. Despite being cool and such, it can be dangerous as well (right Ali?). So, a traction control system will prevent any further spinning of that wheel at that speed. For example, apply the brakes. The spinning wheel slows down and regain it's grip.

Hope this helps a bit buddy?

Michael
yes man.. ur 101% rite.. its too dangerous and difficult to control :!:

ther was traction control button in my carprice . i used to turn it off whenever i wanted to wheel. 8)

xheartx77
UB Dedicated Member

Post by xheartx77 » 17 Jul 2006, 9:45 pm

mikeh ... nice info ..

but donno y ... i guess my cars traction is screwed ... its got no such option such as traction control ... but wht could hav gone wrong ??? :( .. i've got new tyres ... brakes r a bit screwed ... shocks r new ... donno wht effects it ??

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member

Post by kingkenny » 17 Jul 2006, 9:47 pm

thanks a lot !

i have one more question , do i have one in my car ?

blackie
UB Junior Member

Post by blackie » 26 Jul 2006, 7:51 am

What car are you driving

mikeh
UB Super Member

Post by mikeh » 26 Jul 2006, 8:37 am

kingkenny wrote:i have one more question , do i have one in my car ?
By the way I saw you launching.. i don't think so. It happens more on rwd cars, skidding fwd cars just have understeer.. Still less dangerous than unexpected oversteer..

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member

Post by kingkenny » 26 Jul 2006, 12:07 pm

mikeh wrote:
kingkenny wrote:i have one more question , do i have one in my car ?
By the way I saw you launching.. i don't think so. It happens more on rwd cars, skidding fwd cars just have understeer.. Still less dangerous than unexpected oversteer..
so all those drift car , they remove the traction control ?

mikeh
UB Super Member

Post by mikeh » 26 Jul 2006, 2:32 pm

They switch it of yes… Cars usually have a switch for that. Ranging from bmw’s to enzo’s 

Safety -> switch on
Fun -> switch off

:D

ALi
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda Accord 2007

Post by ALi » 26 Jul 2006, 2:40 pm

yes.. mikeh ur rite... :) therz a button.. but i dono of it comez in merc's :roll:

mikeh
UB Super Member

Post by mikeh » 26 Jul 2006, 3:33 pm

For german cars i would expect a button though... maybe in yours not yet then... I wouldn't know why a saloon car would need it's rear tires to lose traction...

bring your manual next meet, let's see where it is :D

kingkenny
UB Advanced Member

Post by kingkenny » 26 Jul 2006, 5:53 pm

thanks mickeh !!