Question abt VTEC computer

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
zaq
UB Junior Member

Post by zaq » 03 Aug 2006, 11:56 am

Hey guyz!!

have a bit of a prob..... im swapping my integra b18a engine with a b16a VTEC engine...... i have everything coverred except the computer...... any idea where can i get a computer..... are there different types of computers available... wht shud i look out for ..?

Thankz!

Zaq

xheartx77
UB Dedicated Member

Post by xheartx77 » 03 Aug 2006, 5:27 pm

zaq wrote:Hey guyz!!

have a bit of a prob..... im swapping my integra b18a engine with a b16a VTEC engine...... i have everything coverred except the computer...... any idea where can i get a computer..... are there different types of computers available... wht shud i look out for ..?

Thankz!

Zaq
well buddy ... donno much 'bout the computer ... but i remember tht a guy selling his SIR at performance motor sports (PMS) told me tht if i wanted an upgrade on the SIR power ... i jus had to plugin a computer and a performance based clutch ...

so yes better than gettin stock n then changin it .. go for sumthin thts perf. based ..

zaq
UB Junior Member

Post by zaq » 03 Aug 2006, 5:38 pm

well buddy ... donno much 'bout the computer ... but i remember tht a guy selling his SIR at performance motor sports (PMS) told me tht if i wanted an upgrade on the SIR power ... i jus had to plugin a computer and a performance based clutch ...

so yes better than gettin stock n then changin it .. go for sumthin thts perf. based ..
Thanks for the interesting tip. ..... but i understand that there is another type of computer on the market which helps kick in your vtech quiker...... is that rite ???? if yes...... any info on that ???

xheartx77
UB Dedicated Member

Post by xheartx77 » 03 Aug 2006, 5:55 pm

yup kick ur vtec quicker ... n higher gear change ratios ... tht means u can change at 8 or 9 or around tht mark ... depends ... but donno wher u could get it ... i guess the HONDA GUYZ COULD HELP U OUT ON THT ...

ACCORD98 n ALBERTHO555 ... :)

zaq
UB Junior Member

Post by zaq » 03 Aug 2006, 6:00 pm

yup kick ur vtec quicker ... n higher gear change ratios ... tht means u can change at 8 or 9 or around tht mark ...
Thats EXACTLY wht im talking abt!!!! :)

Accord98
Vehicle:Toyoda

Post by Accord98 » 04 Aug 2006, 12:42 pm

hey zaq,
welcome to the forums. I drive an SiR with a b16 engine....

i think i knw what ur talking about - its called a VAFC - Vtec Air Fuel Controller

It allows you to control when your Vtec kicks in - for stock b16a engines it should kick in at about 5500RPM. With a VAFC you can change it to kick in at 2000RPM if you want...

BUT - and its a big BUT - i strongly discourage changing when the Vtec kicks in - bringing it any lower than 4500 is very bad for your engine and even deemed as being "dangerous" - bringing it lower than 5500RPM is un-advisable. Honda knew what they were doing so i dont suggest u change it.

but - im a little confused with ur swap. What car are u driving ?- cause the b18a engine came in on the 1990-1993 Integra GS (i think). Am i right?
if i am, thats a 130 - 140hp non vtec engine?

Why not try for a b18c engine or b18b (very rare) .

Neways i hope i was helpful. :)

albertho555
UB Special Member
Vehicle:B18C Civic HB

Post by albertho555 » 04 Aug 2006, 5:15 pm

hey zaq, shall we meet up at the next meet :) can discuss about it more in detail i guess. it wud be cheaper to put in a 18b head and a few mods that'll bring u close to the power of a b16? are u swapping a 1st gen or 2nd gen b16?

i dunno, not come across many 18a / 18b swaps. if ure in dubai ... we cud definately meet up before the meet ... accord98> what do u say?

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 05 Aug 2006, 2:24 am

count me in? :)

WTF
UB Senior Member

Post by WTF » 05 Aug 2006, 2:35 am

me too :lol:

zaq
UB Junior Member

Post by zaq » 05 Aug 2006, 9:40 am

Hey guys!

Thanks for the response........ experienced ppl visit here i see!! :)

Anywayz: Accord98.... you are rite the car im talking abt is an integra 93 with a b18a engine..... 138hp...... the thing is ... that a b18b or c engine... as u said... is very rare here..... however i have seen loadsa b16a engines lying here in the shj used parts market... hence the swap....... secondly yes... thanks for the info on the VFAC any idea where i can get it in Dubai.... and as long as the VTEC kicks in @ 4500 its still better than 5500 ;) ...... does the VFAC also let u redline to 9k Rpm for a shift??? Thanks for all your help! and indeed you have been very helpful! :)

Albertho555: definetly count me in....... next meet i am there! but... when is the next meet ???? i hope its not very soon ... coz i wanna jazz up my ride before i show up.... My integra is a heap in my Garage.... my civic looks like crap.... another 10 days ... and hopefully i'll b ready for the meet.... planning to buy a new car..... an SIR ( if i get one) .... now coming back to the topic.... i can put a 18b head on my existing engine.... but tht'll b too much work..... i'd rather swap... for a b16.... and well... 1st or 2nd gen ... i dun mind either ....

and guys...... b4 its too late.... lemme say.... Gr8 site..... and very helpful ppl here! thnx once again!

Am out!!

Zaq

WTF
UB Senior Member

Post by WTF » 05 Aug 2006, 9:54 am

man u shud try lookin at the Honda warehouse near Cosmoplast in sharjah ... behind it ull see some afghani used spare parts ... juz ask them wer is that place and they'll show u ... i've been there how many times and they sell all types of honda engines ... and also lots of integra and prelude parts from bumpers, headlight, engine parts .. they have it ... its used but they have warranty and almost as new ... and B16 engines are way cheaper ... last time i went there i saw a couple of accord type r engine's ...

zaq
UB Junior Member

Post by zaq » 05 Aug 2006, 10:33 am

man u shud try lookin at the Honda warehouse near Cosmoplast in sharjah ... behind it ull see some afghani used spare parts
thats exactly where i plan to buy my engine from.... they will b giing me a 10 day guarantee......which i guess is good enuf.... plus.... they are damn cheap man..... and the engine( atleast some of 'em) look brand new...... yeah evn i have seen the h22's there! but can fit 'em into me integra :(

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 05 Aug 2006, 12:15 pm

I'd say as albertho as well, why don't you get the head? And also some basic bolt ons, it will save you the hassle of a swap, the price of a swap and such..

just my idea...

zaq
UB Junior Member

Post by zaq » 05 Aug 2006, 4:36 pm

... u got me thinking there..... its a idea worth considering..... elmme check avaiabilities and garage costs.......

thnks guyz![/quote]

wek-236
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:s2k and Mazda 3

Post by wek-236 » 05 Aug 2006, 4:49 pm

zaq... did you find someone already to do your wiring for your harness? this will be a great task..