Help NEEDED ...

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
Eleanor
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 08 Aug 2006, 1:26 am

toyota corolla 1996 model sw

hey guys !!!
this is a frnds car of mine n he is having a prob with his ac.. could u guys help cauz he is been really getting ripped off n he just paid 600dhs for cleaning the radiator.thts wht the garage guy told him atleast n he did it.it was a waste.
the problem is when he switches on the AC - he gets hott air .... i told him mayb he needs to get his AC gas filled !!! how do i see if the ac gas is filled or finished? could there b any other way y the AC isnt cooling at all...he travels in the afternoon n has a bad time.the other garage told him his compressor needs to b cleaned n is charging him another 400 - i laughed earing tht - could u guys recommend me goin to a good AC garage? someone who knws about tht yr corolla.....
or could u tell me wht u think is wrong ?
thnx u guys....will b alot of help .....

SD -

meemo
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:2004 Honda Civic Type-R

Post by meemo » 08 Aug 2006, 1:30 am

i didnt read the hole topic coz im not really into fixin acs but if the prob is not from fillin the ac with gas,maybe the acs dynmo(compressor) need to b replaced.

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 08 Aug 2006, 9:16 am

Yeah, see if his AC compressor is still being turned by the belt... also, go to something like enoc or eppco, they will vent and refill your AC system... and see what happens from there.

Or bring it to al futtaim, they can see what is wrong. Don't waste too much time thinking you'd save money going to these crappy garages...

zaq
UB Junior Member

Post by zaq » 08 Aug 2006, 2:19 pm

The A/c not cooling can be for a number of reasons....
1. There may be no gas
2. The compressor might not be wrking
3. The condersor may be leaking ---> result no gas.
4. the Evaporater maybe be leaking ( same result as above)

I think its best that your freind takes his car to a well known garage ( Al Futtaim as Mike Said is the best).... some garages do offer a 3 day guarantee for the work they do... i can recommend one in Karama which is behind Options furniture showroom. Tht guy works and maintains the fleet of my company... and does a pretty good job.

Secondly why do these garages keep recommending him to clean stuff ?? ( like hi radiator ?? it has nothing to do with his A/c) second cleaning of a compressor ??? never heard of it... a compressor leaks or doesnt function but never will cleaning work any majic...... and anywayz if these guys are charging 400 to clean the compressor, he's better off buying a second hand one ( with Guarantee) from shj for 200......

Apart from that the only way u can find out if there is Gas in the A/c system is by connecting a regulator to it... which they use when they fill the gas.... tht will give u a pressure reading..

Hope the above is helpful!

Zaq

wek-236
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:s2k and Mazda 3

Post by wek-236 » 08 Aug 2006, 4:57 pm

zaq wrote:The A/c not cooling can be for a number of reasons....
1. There may be no gas

I think its best that your freind takes his car to a well known garage ( Al Futtaim as Mike Said is the best).... some garages do offer a 3 day guarantee for the work they do... i can recommend one in Karama which is behind Options furniture showroom. Tht guy works and maintains the fleet of my company... and does a pretty good job.

Secondly why do these garages keep recommending him to clean stuff ?? ( like hi radiator ?? it has nothing to do with his A/c) second cleaning of a compressor ??? never heard of it... a compressor leaks or doesnt function but never will cleaning work any majic...... and anywayz if these guys are charging 400 to clean the compressor, he's better off buying a second hand one ( with Guarantee) from shj for 200......

Apart from that the only way u can find out if there is Gas in the A/c system is by connecting a regulator to it... which they use when they fill the gas.... tht will give u a pressure reading..

Zaq

bro proper term is Freon.... not gas..maybe he will be confused on the gas part..

xheartx77
UB Dedicated Member

Post by xheartx77 » 08 Aug 2006, 5:24 pm

yup ... totally agree with ZAQ .. all his points should be checked ..

zaq
UB Junior Member

Post by zaq » 08 Aug 2006, 6:49 pm

bro proper term is Freon.... not gas..maybe he will be confused on the gas part..
didnt wanna confuse him with Freon..... "GAS" is the term he used, so , in order to make it easy for him to understand i used the term gas......

FYI- the Freon that should be used will be No. R-134

Neo
Vehicle:2005 Hyundai Coupe

Post by Neo » 08 Aug 2006, 8:16 pm

Hmm!!
Its all been covered i guess..
I didnt understand the situation, R u telling me the AC blows out Real hot air, jst like the heater is on (As if the heater switch is on instead of cold switch)
Or is it jst the case where in the AC aint cool, i blows in normal air.

Coz in the first scenario, there cud be a leak or malfunction of the heater vent which is sending in hot air thru the front vents. When u pull the slider all the way to cold air, the vent is completely closed and no hot air is allowed to enter and hence u get max cold air. This is something insider the car beneath the dash board. U need to pull out the plastic casing for the condensor and check it out.

But if its jst the coolin issue, which means, normal air... The issues cud be as mentioned before by others. Still i will summarize the points. Could be helpful to others in the future.

U could check if the AC fan or the radiator fan (depending on the vehicle) is running when the AC is on. (all the fans should be running atleast witin 2 mins of engaging the AC)

U could check the Compressor if it is being engaged when the A/C on. (look in front of the compressor pulley which will be turning along wit the engine, if u see a stationary plate in front of it, it means its not working. when the plate turns wit the pulley, then compressor is engaged)

U could check the compressor for 5 mins wit the A/C on and engine running at 2500 rpm, see if the compressor goes on and off very frequently (Fast switching). If u see this symptom, it cud be too much gas or too less gas. Ask the technician to introduce liquid into the system when filling gas. (he knows wat that means).

U could ask the tech people to do a 250 -300 psi stress test on the internal piping to see if therez is compression loss, ie leak. (U will have to fill gas from scratch in tat case)

U could check if the valve is blocked or damaged. Its a small crappy thing, but if itz clogged or damaged the compressor might act funny.

U could keep ur hands on the aluminium piping inside the engine room and see if its cold to make sure the compressor side is all fine. (bright aluminium piping coming from the inside the firewall to the compressor)

U could also get the evaporator checked if it is clogged wit shit. I have seen all kinda rubbish stuck on it and blocking the flow of air. (This one is insider ur car)

U make sure the compressor is fine, coz when it starts dying, i spits crap into the AC system blocking and killing all other parts

I will update the post if i remember anything else...

Eleanor
UB Special Member

Post by Eleanor » 09 Aug 2006, 8:42 pm

Guys thank you so much ....
Thank you meemo, mikeh, thank u ZAQ again(tht will b alot of help-r u in dubai4x4 as well??) ,thanks to wek-236,x heartx77, and to NEO ....
guys i will go n check these points out n let ull knw exactly whats wrong ...
thank u again !!! :)

SD -

meemo
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:2004 Honda Civic Type-R

Post by meemo » 09 Aug 2006, 8:48 pm

ur welcome man :wink:

Eleanor
UB Special Member

Post by Eleanor » 10 Aug 2006, 2:35 am

zaq wrote:The A/c not cooling can be for a number of reasons....
1. There may be no gas

Zaq
hey zaq .... about tht garage in karama....can i have the name of it and the number please ? id like to visit him.
thank u

SD -

WTF
UB Senior Member

Post by WTF » 10 Aug 2006, 8:37 am

maube u need to change the expansion valve from the AC ... maybe its blocked .. same thing happened to em too before ..

zaq
UB Junior Member

Post by zaq » 10 Aug 2006, 8:39 am

can i have the name of it and the number please ? id like to visit him.
Sure..... The name of the garage is Bin Qadeeb Workshop...... its right behind the OPTIONS building (which comes after the Post Office). the guy to speak to is Imran and his number is 050- 45 34 717, tell him Zaq form Al Shams sent you and he will knw wht to do!

Eleanor
UB Special Member

Post by Eleanor » 10 Aug 2006, 1:03 pm

zaq wrote:
can i have the name of it and the number please ? id like to visit him.
Sure..... The name of the garage is Bin Qadeeb Workshop...... its right behind the OPTIONS building (which comes after the Post Office). the guy to speak to is Imran and his number is 050- 45 34 717, tell him Zaq form Al Shams sent you and he will knw wht to do!
Thank you ZAQ - will let u knw wht happens.... thanks alot

thnx wtf - ill check into tht tooo..

SD -

WTF
UB Senior Member

Post by WTF » 10 Aug 2006, 1:54 pm

if the expansion valve is being block ... it cant get thru the vibrator ... also filter needs to be change ....