how to find out the proper offset ?

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
kingkenny
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:clio197

Post by kingkenny » 27 Dec 2006, 2:22 am

i'm pretty confuse with this thing !! how do i know my wheel have a proper offset ? in fact , i don't even know my rim and tyre offset right or wrong !!

please help !!

mike , please explain if you know it !!

wek-236
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:s2k and Mazda 3

Post by wek-236 » 27 Dec 2006, 8:39 am

before you think about offset kenny.. consider your rims, tire size just to be sure your on a safe range.. you might choose a good offset but your tire choice is not ideal.. make sure first before you get into an accident..

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

evolve
UB Junior Member

Post by evolve » 22 Jan 2007, 1:49 pm

The best way to check your offset (of the wheel) is to take it out.... measure the whole width of the wheel in mm (this is not the same as the mm of the tyre). its also better to convert the wheel size into mm and make sure it tallies. e.g 7x17 means 7 inches wide.

divide the width of the wheel into 2..... that is your centre line = 0 offset.

place the wheel rim face down and take a hard cardboard and place it on top of the wheel (along the rim edge of the wheel)... you will need to have the wheel without the tyre.

Measure from the edge of the cardboard till the hub face at the back of the wheel.... this will give you the backspace in mm.

subtract the backspace mm from 50% of the width mm - this should give you the offset of the wheel.

finding the offset of the car however is VERY tricky.... best is to look in the car manuals of if you have a set of stock wheels around you can do the above process on that.

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 22 Jan 2007, 5:34 pm

evolve wrote:finding the offset of the car however is VERY tricky.... best is to look in the car manuals of if you have a set of stock wheels around you can do the above process on that.
.. or visit the nice people at evolve in AL Quoz :)

Thanks mam