Air Filters

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
SalV6
UB Junior Member

Post by SalV6 » 29 Nov 2007, 3:20 am

Sparky wrote:
prossett wrote:
I make sure I service it properly and check the inside of the intake tube to see if any fine stuff is getting in - when it dries up I use the K&N cleaning kit and oil.

BTW, does anyone know what is the red oil that K&N kits contain, you know, the red liquid that you spray on after cleaning it?

It sure looks like automatic tranny fluid to me...
That's exactly it. I check the inside of my piping too, and so far so good. I've been 55,000 kms with a CAI already.

And if that K&N stuff turns out to be Tranny oil then let me know. I haven't ever oiled my filter, i just blow at it to get rid of the dust. Some people actually use engine oil instead of the K&N stuff, dunno if that's good though.

Anyone know where i can get the K&N filtercharger/cleaning kit here?

Dude, what every happens don't use engine oil on your filter, who ever told you that is wrong, they might be saying it for moistening the filter to last longer, but don't do it, it will destroy you engine, always remember like jins unseen to our naked eye there’s a lot going on that we can't see, and mash Allah the 55,000km out of your CAI is impressive, you would not want to do that to destroy it.

There is also another kind of spray I forgot the name, but what you do is you start your car, open the hood, and spray this stuff on you filter, then you pull the accel wire from the engine and rev it few times so the engine sucks in this sprayed stuff on the filter, do it 2 times with the spray, and then let it idle for 3 mins, then go see the muffler, water drips out like crazy, it cleans the shit out of your car’s intake and exhaust system.

Its like our lungs, we smoke and our lungs get black, and congested, this stuff, cleans all that out, so the car breathes so much better, runs faster, and fuel economy becomes really good.

Tamu I didn't understand the first two sentences of you last reply, but if you were talking about someone using pressured air hose to clean out the intake, then yea, depending on the hose pressure, or age of the filter, the thin paper like materials can rip inside, again not visible to the eye.

Talking about all this, I have to clean my filter, starting to look blackish, hehehe.

But yea guys, best thing buy the filter charger kit, it does everything, it evaporates the dust particles, and also moistens the filter materials, way less headache, and risk, then using engine oil, pressures hosing, washing and stuff.

AZ_ME
UB Dedicated Member

Post by AZ_ME » 29 Nov 2007, 4:09 am

i used that spary for cleaning my dad's car tha airintake it was called acedelco cleaning spray i think coz it asked that guy and he said we used this for engine cleaning and to remove excces oil which is inside the engine
about using this spray with filter i dont know coz i didnt ask :roll:

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 29 Nov 2007, 5:59 am

the spray your talking about..i think it works..when ever i went with friends to get cars inspected, they would like spray some crap all over the engine as a gesture...including the intake...hmmmmmm...

prossett
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Honda Jazz

Post by prossett » 29 Nov 2007, 8:24 am

The K&N oil is vital to stopping dust getting sucked right into the piston chamber - in fact, it's the oil that traps the dust, not the filter material.

Without the proper amount of K&N oil, you are running a powerful vacuum cleaner!!! :D

It does look and feel like ATF to me, but I've never wanted to test it... not on my beautiful baby!!! :| I sure don't want sand and dust scraping around inside my engine... :(

About the engine degreasing kind of spray, that's different to the filter oil - it's job is to dissolve oil and grease, similar to WD-40. Do you guys remember carb spray? Basically you would spray it right into the carb with the engine running and it would just burn out any oily or carbon residue - prolly the same principle but for fuel-injection.

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 29 Nov 2007, 7:25 pm

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....ok my bad...it makes sense now :P

Sparky
UB Advanced Member

Post by Sparky » 30 Nov 2007, 3:14 am

I didn't think the filter oil was vital in keeping the dust out of the internals, thanks for the info. I got to pickyself up a filter-charger kit. I'll do some research to see if ATF will work or not.

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 30 Nov 2007, 8:14 am

And I'm going to check out a foam filter next, never tried one. That's one thing that's so cool about uaeboost.net - there's so much to learn from each other (Y)

Been looking at my Jazz' air intake, and it looks like if I remove the filter box, half the engine space is freed up! But right now it's drawing air in from the fender so I'm not sure if it's worth switching to an exposed filter sucking in the engine air...

As a first approach, I'm going to see if I can keep the stock air box and pipe, but take out the internal filter, and install a high-flowing foam filter on the end, in the fender.

That should give me the advantages of better air flow than stock, cleaner air than off the fan, cooler air than from the engine bay, makes use of original parts for sensors, and dirt cheap.

Disadvantages over stock are just it requires more cleaning.

Disadvantages over RSI are the diameter of the pipe is stock, and it's not smooth and straight. Also doesn't look as cool! But having it look like stock can also be a good thing...

Modifications to me are all about weighing the pros and cons... and I'll always stick to the easiest, best value in price vs quality vs result if possible - less stuff to go wrong, easiest to return to stock if necessary, and more money to spend on other mods!!! (Y)

Sparky
UB Advanced Member

Post by Sparky » 30 Nov 2007, 8:28 am

Dude when i installed my CAI i had to remove so much plastic crap from my engine bay. I also had that stock tube going from the airbox to behind the bumper for sucking cool air, but the main thing is it's plastic. The air will get hot and kabbabed on it's way to the throttle body. You're plan to just get a drop-in filter sounds solid though, try it and see how it works out.

Usually when you order a CAI, it comes with all the sensor holes and rubber couplers to fit your MAF if you have one; you'd still be able to keep your sensors.

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 30 Nov 2007, 12:51 pm

Yeah, good point on the material... I wonder how fast air whooshes through and how much heat can be transfered into flowing air... we're into physics now and I don't have the background to go in deep.

Does anyone know if cool air passing through a heated pipe warms up faster or slower than cool air that is not moving inside a heated pipe?

Definitely better if I use insulated material or insulate the plastic tubing, that's true. Maybe I'll try the earlier suggestion of the shiny windshield cover material.

I love working on stuff myself, as long as I can get it looking decent and not totally ghetto... :?

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 30 Nov 2007, 9:15 pm

well if you think about it prossett, the intake pipe gets really hot. and i doubt the cold air getting into the pipe will be cold enough to cool the pipe down. actually the cold air going into the tube might get warmer from the pipe temperature..

now i am not sure about this, but it seems what i am saying makes sense...anyone else got any idea's about this??

Sparky
UB Advanced Member

Post by Sparky » 01 Dec 2007, 2:15 am

prossett wrote:I love working on stuff myself, as long as I can get it looking decent and not totally ghetto... :?
Same here. The ghetto thing just ruins the overal finish.

Eleanor
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 01 Dec 2007, 12:17 pm

Sparky wrote:
prossett wrote:I love working on stuff myself, as long as I can get it looking decent and not totally ghetto... :?
Same here. The ghetto thing just ruins the overal finish.
whats a Ghetto look anyway ?

SD -

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 01 Dec 2007, 1:30 pm

Well, ghetto is nowadays used to describe an area of the city where poor people live and that is run-down and falling to pieces.

A ghetto mechanic is a guy who can't afford to spend on car parts so he improvises with whatever material or part he has on hand just to keep his car running.

So the ghetto look to me means inventive but roughly finished.

Some examples:

No A/C? Here's a ghetto solution...

Source: http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/20 ... man-ac.jpg

Think you're a super-hero?

Source: http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/20 ... mobile.jpg

So, in a desperate attempt to return on-topic :wink: if I save some of that aluminum foil that wraps take-away plates of chicken biriyani, and wrap it around my CAI, and hold it in place with duct tape - that's ghetto, man!!! :D Roast chicken smell anyone??? LOOOOL

SalV6
UB Junior Member

Post by SalV6 » 03 Dec 2007, 4:02 am

As long as a person uses the proper or suitable substitue for the mod they are doing things will look nice, clean & professional, plus its also a bit heredity.lol

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 18 Dec 2007, 4:09 am

oh nooo..all the filter post are gone!!..shitty!! :(