Air Filters

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
Sparky
UB Advanced Member

Post by Sparky » 18 Nov 2007, 6:23 pm

Actually, even if you don't have a CAI or SRI pipe, the cone alone will still add a nice agressive sound and some performance to your car. sr20det is right about the main variables in the sound being the engine and the piping of the CAI or SRI.

The only way you can vary the sound of the filter without the piping is to use different sizes though i don't recommend using crazy sizes. If you use a filter that is too big you risk damaging you mass-airflow sensor. don't let all this bother you though, the easiest way to do it is to get a filter that's just about the right size for you throttle body and just bolt it on. visit this shop called horsepower in the petrol pump near mamzar, they'll have a look at your engine and they'll sort you out. let me know if you need better directions to the shop.

and stay away from the fake taiwanese filters.

SalV6
UB Junior Member

Post by SalV6 » 20 Nov 2007, 4:29 am

both you guys are right ^^^

Sparky
UB Advanced Member

Post by Sparky » 21 Nov 2007, 6:31 pm

Dude, i just got your email. I've looked a bit and found out how to apply an intake to your car. It involves removing a lot of the stock plastic crappy piping in your bay. check the pics below for comparison:

Stock Air Box (your car's pic):

With a Cold Air Intake:

Check this link out, it's a "Do It Yourself" on how to put a CAI on the Mazda3.

http://www.speedlab.com.ph/installation ... da3cai.htm

Can a mod please move this thread to the "Engine" forum?

usaf23
UB Special Member
Vehicle:2016 Jeep SRT

Post by usaf23 » 22 Nov 2007, 3:32 pm

hey sparky...reallyy your helpin me alot :D
can you please tel me the model number of the CAI and filter .
and yeah..the pipe..what you think would be the costs ..only the pipe.
and please telme some shops where i can get the filter,pipe.THANKS.

Sparky
UB Advanced Member

Post by Sparky » 22 Nov 2007, 4:25 pm

You need to custom-make it, man. we have a reference pic of how it should bend so if we could find the right size pipes with the right angle, we could make it.

The problem is that the 1.3 Mazda3 is very rare so not a lot of companies make intakes for that engine-sized model. Most all the intakes available for the Mazda3 are for the 1.4L, 2.0L, and the 2.3L engines.

usaf23
UB Special Member

Post by usaf23 » 23 Nov 2007, 12:24 am

hmm..i guess i shall start visitin shj ind area now on and check on the custom pipers:P
i guess FOX skyline could do it ?
what about the costs and the model number for the filter..??

SAM DO YOU KNOW ANY PLACES WHERE I CAN CUSTOM MAKE A PIPE WITHOUT GETTIN RIPPED IN MY WALLET ?
any other members...

Sparky
UB Advanced Member

Post by Sparky » 23 Nov 2007, 1:49 am

To be honest looking at the pictures, you'd be better off ordering the CAI from that site. The part where your mass airflow sensor connects is a part that's difficult to custom-fabricate. Btw, stay away from Fox/Skyline Exhaust, they will rip you off.

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 23 Nov 2007, 3:43 am

i was wondering the same thing...how they would fabricate the sensor area...but hey u never no, some one might just be able to do it....

best bet would be to order it, dont mess around with getting a custom one made...in a intake if the angels are wrong then you''l prob be getting less performance then the stock intake or similiar!!!...best of luck finding it though

SalV6
UB Junior Member

Post by SalV6 » 23 Nov 2007, 4:02 am

Sparky wrote:To be honest looking at the pictures, you'd be better off ordering the CAI from that site. The part where your mass airflow sensor connects is a part that's difficult to custom-fabricate. Btw, stay away from Fox/Skyline Exhaust, they will rip you off.

It’s not hard to fabricate a MAF Adapter < this is the adapter that connects the piping to the MAF.

Just go to any steel shop or exhaust shop, and look for small cylindrical tubing just smaller in diameter than the MAF hole.

then get some durable duct tape, and use that around the edge of the piece you just got, when you are done this, tightly fit this cylindrical peace into the MAF hole, and then attach the intake piping on top of the other end sticking out of the piece you fitted into the MAF hole, and voala, you have a MAF adapter.

If you want to do it more like the manufacturers than, do this.

Measure the interior diameter of the MAF circle, and get a sheet metal. Cut out a square out of that sheet metal, maybe about 15cm all around, according to your preference and engine and MAF size.

After that, cut out lets say the diameter of the internal MAF, in length, you may have to do some calculations here because you have to measure the circle of the MAF and cut out the same length from sheet metal, when you do this you will have to cut out a rectangular shape. After you cut this shape, you can use hand tools to make this flat sheet of rectangular metal round, by slowly curving it and making it into a cylindrical circle.

when you have both pieces, place the second cylindrical shape on the flat square you cut out, with marker use the internal circumference and mark it, the cut the marked circle out, after that weld the two pieces together.

Now you have a MAF Adapter, make the necessary holes require in the corner of the square adapter edges to screw onto the face of the MAF, and the other side, well, you just slip your intake piping onto to it and tighten it with silicone rubber connectors.

Easy as that.

Check out my web page on my B13 on the cardomain website the link is below, I have not updated it for a long time, but you can see what I was talking about the MAF Adapter how to make one or buy one from a shop.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2665090

usaf23
UB Special Member

Post by usaf23 » 23 Nov 2007, 1:49 pm

maaan....im goning to try visitin golden car and al capri and check again....hope im lucky...
or else...cant i just bolt on the K&N cone filter onto the stock pipe ?
are their any alternatives before i order online ?

Eleanor
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 23 Nov 2007, 1:58 pm

ok just to let u guys know .....

i went to get a intake for my cruiser. the pipe didnt have a MAF sensor input.the stock pipe had like a rubber socket in which the sensor goes through and stays perfectly fitted.

i took my pipe to tht autoplus guy, n asked him to make the exact size hole for me just as the stock pipe.
he did it. i took my stock rubber socket n put it on there.....
it fits perfectly n the MAF sensor sits perfectly well...

so id say- look for that rubber socket thing on ur stock pipe.if u have tht, things will be easier....

SD -

usaf23
UB Special Member

Post by usaf23 » 25 Nov 2007, 12:59 pm

Due to all the probs..im planing to just install a simple mat type air filter..
and later the CAI intake.

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 25 Nov 2007, 8:56 pm

looool...after all the 3pages ur doing the mat type air filter....i should smack you..

hehehehe just messing...good luck with the install..i do hope you find the CAI someday for your car...

prossett
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Honda Jazz

Post by prossett » 25 Nov 2007, 10:34 pm

That's some good advice, guys. 8)

A couple of things to add would be to make sure it's easy to get the filter off the cold air intake for cleaning - in dusty conditions that's got to be regular and careful. Check the inside of the pipe for really light dust.

Another alternative, actually more often used by 4x4 people because of more room in the engine bay, is to keep the stock air-box but run your own custom pipe from there down and out to the fender or front.

And a really funky way is to suck air from a hood scoop. While that used to be excellent for carbs (yes, I'm showing my age! :) ) it's no longer popular.

usaf23
UB Special Member

Post by usaf23 » 25 Nov 2007, 11:17 pm

hey people no offence but i am looking for the CAI K&N system for my car.
its just for the time being im installing the mat filter.Nwys my car has 2 air filters.<<look in the pik :: one under the 16 DOHC logo, and othe is the pipe>>
so the hunt is on for the CAI :)
any members if you spot it for sale anywhrer...please PM me.
Thnks to all users and sparky mainly for the detailed info :D