Engine Cough!!!!

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
Ribur
UB Junior Member

Post by Ribur » 12 Jun 2008, 11:54 am

Hey guys,

i have a prob with the engine... i want ur help in this..

yest.. i got stuck in the sand and then when i was able to get it out.. the car was full of sand..... so i thought go for a full wash.. so asked the guy at the car wash to properly clean the engine bay... n he did the best...

now ever since when i am shifting i dont feel enough power coming from the engine.. and from the exhaust it is like coughing . also on nuetral there is lot of jerking :roll: (got to give him cough syrup?)

whats ur take on this? any ideas... maybe due to the pressure wash.. maybe the water must have got into the injectors and is that y it is causing this prob?

any gud DIY remedies? or pointers to knowledgeable mechanics...?

thanks

masabgt
UB Special Member

Post by masabgt » 12 Jun 2008, 7:15 pm

did you clean you air filter?
How deep your went inside sand? did you exhaust tip went under sand when got stuck?

Change engine oil if it even happens after cleaning air filter. I think this should make difference if sand didnt get through exhaust tip.

My 2 cent

grayfox666
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Volkswagen Tin Can

Post by grayfox666 » 13 Jun 2008, 12:44 am

It has nothing to do with sand.^^^^

Think man, even if it got in to exhaust tip, it will fly the hell out once he floores it.There is no way it car get into the filter, cuz of the mud guards underneath.

What happened is at the car wash, its not the injectors.It happebned to my 2000 Polo when i washed the engine.It was coughing and stalling like hell.

The problem is the wiring, ur car is 3-4 years old, isnt it?The wire protecting tape, is dried up.Once the wires gets wet , the fuel system is screwed.
In most cases, just drying the engine with pressurised air is enough.

What i did, is i rewired the fueling wires, and other told the garage to retape it.
Now its no prob.

Alpha
Adminstrator
Vehicle:RNN14 + JZZ31 + CT9A

Post by Alpha » 13 Jun 2008, 9:56 am

Ribur wrote:maybe due to the pressure wash.. maybe the water must have got into the injectors and is that y it is causing this prob?
grayfox666 wrote:The problem is the wiring, ur car is 3-4 years old, isnt it?The wire protecting tape, is dried up.Once the wires gets wet , the fuel system is screwed.
In most cases, just drying the engine with pressurised air is enough.
+1. A common issue with turbo cars as well. The engine must be washed with diesel, not water. Make sure you specify this at your next car wash. For me, the car would run fine after few hours of driving when everything would dry up, never changed any tapes or wires.

Ribur
UB Junior Member

Post by Ribur » 16 Jun 2008, 4:56 pm

thanks guys,

i have washed the car as i said on wednesday nite. but till today there has been no improvement. so what i did was i opened (on saturday nite) all the spark plugs and lil traces of water was visible there. i have dried it and put the spark plugs. i have even disconnected all wires to check if there is water in it but NO.

wat i believe is that there is prob with the valve clearance and such? what do u think.. take it to al futtaim or a separate garage? i have done the valve clearance last saturday and there was no probs till i washed my car? whats ur suggestions... :?

(Y)

Mike MRK
UB Junior Member

Post by Mike MRK » 16 Jun 2008, 7:26 pm

as the guys above mentioned..
any specification about ur car ?? brand ? model ? year ?

first check your air filter, maybe clogged from the sand, nd after you washed it the sand stuck inside and clogged the air filter, maybe even affected you IAC valve which will runs a little bit rough on idle..

second if ur car is an old model, u might need to check the distributor cab, and HT wires, water maybe affected it, any misfiring ?? or signs of misfiring (back pressure) ??, maybe caused from sparks, when was the last time you changed your spark plugs ??, checked the HT wires (unplug then plug them back again) ??, if you car is newer model then it should be distributerless and the ignition coil over cylinder signal wires might be alittle bit loose or needed to be cleaned with WD40, same for injector wirings..

if it still coughing then u might need to check electronically your car, a sensor might went wrong, and some connection underneath got loosen, but that'll light up your engine light anyway, if that not helping, then if u can describe better at what rpm, what speed, what load, when did u feel that mainly, etc.. ?? :)

Ribur
UB Junior Member

Post by Ribur » 17 Jun 2008, 10:11 am

thanx Mike MRK

during idle, if u give throttle, there is a missing then fine.. i know its coz of the water (which went in during the wash) i have done all the disconnection and the reconnection but that doesnt help

my car is a corolla '03 so there is no distributor..

i will once again remove the air filter and clean it and then clean the wiring with WD40 for all the wiring...

wish my luck

stone-head
UB Senior Member

Post by stone-head » 17 Jun 2008, 10:26 am

also clean air flow meter AFM , there's a special cleaner for that
& never use wd40 or any non-specific cleaner for AFM , & double
check cables n connectors also hoses ( vacuum or idle hose etc..)

some thing is wet or still caught moisture , just find it n kill it :|

poi5on
UB Junior Member

Post by poi5on » 02 Sep 2008, 6:31 am

Check the sparkplugs maybe water came inside while washing the engine, also check your oil. If needed change the oil.