HKS T51R on 1jzgte

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
Nismo
UB Senior Member

Post by Nismo » 20 Aug 2008, 1:57 pm

Hi All,
Was thinking if a t51r will spool on 1jz stock internals also including the intercooler.
Bascially i am planing to buy a toyota soarer here in london. the car has t51r turbo but the previous owner had just installed t51r kit but not the intercooler.. he was still runing on stock intercooler, which did not make any sense to me.
Will t51r be a mission for 1jz? i drove the car yesterday but the turbo wouldnt spool ... it did a bit after 5rpm on short gears but not anyway where near good spool .. i could hardly hear the tr51 r spool sound ....

is this beccause of the intercooler? or is the turbo too huge for 1jz stock internals?

please do write as i need to give me answer ASAP..
i am getting the car for really cheap its more like on a throw away prize... you can say the whole car is cheaper than the acutall turbo kit prize!!!! ...

I would not mind buying the car and striping it off but just want to know what is the reason of the turbo not opening.. the turbo almost new it is hardly driven after setup ..

a quick response will be must appreciated

thanks,
Nismo

stone-head
UB Senior Member

Post by stone-head » 20 Aug 2008, 3:51 pm

which T51 in that car ???? ball bearing or sleeve , which A/R ratio , trim
they all do play a major factor ( HKS KAI , SPL , etc... )
http://www.hksusa.com/categories/?id=1094
plus is the valve train modded or not ( cams , spring , retainers , etc )
cause they also affect ,
since T51 series is a huge MOFO , so the lag too much , a T04 would
make u happier 8)
plus stock bottom end can handle 500hp

Nismo
UB Senior Member

Post by Nismo » 20 Aug 2008, 4:36 pm

my apologies its a t51 r kai turbo....
and notthing is been changed in the car ... the turbo was installed on the simple stock engine .. just want to know if stock 1jz is capable of spooling t51r ..cuz i wasnt spooling yesterday when i tried.. i didnt take it on a long run i might when i rev it to 6rpm ...
does intercooler make any difference or is it just to make it cool?

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 20 Aug 2008, 4:51 pm

Intercooler is definatly not the source of the late spool up. It`s either the turbo is to big and spools up late in the RPM rage which causes the turbo lag, or a crappy TUNE...infact maybe it didnt get a tune at all after the turbo upgrade!! ask the seller for dyno sheets and take it out for a proper test drive were you can get a much better feel for the car and hit top RPM`s in all gears.
You could also be leaking boost somwere so make sure you check all the intercooler pipes if they have been fastened on properly and have been clamped down...
other then that dude I think you should be fine..REMEMBER GET A PROPER TEST DRIVE, dont worry about the seller that he will MIND if you push the car!!..if hes a prick then tell him to toss of and take his soarer back home!!

Good luck nismo!!

Nismo
UB Senior Member

Post by Nismo » 20 Aug 2008, 5:33 pm

well i drove the car yesterday and he got a bit of taste of dubais ex lunatic driver .. he was about to piss in his pants i felt as if it was driving a cycle... i have called him again and will take the car on a long high way to check if it opens on a high rpm ...
the turbo looks mint, not driven much after setup.
and i am pretty sure it was just the turbo installed no tunning notthing was done at all ..

stone-head
UB Senior Member

Post by stone-head » 20 Aug 2008, 5:57 pm

man , T51 is way beyond the capabilities of a stock 1JZ plus
if no tune is involved then it's a big no no , T04 or smaller
turbo will do the job much better if u want a quick spool & 400 to
500hp range , if u want more u will need forged internals plus valve train
upgrade , fueling system , intrecooler plus pipes , etc....
but only T51 over a very stock engine :arrow: :mrgreen:

Inline6
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:2010

Post by Inline6 » 20 Aug 2008, 6:10 pm

I'm guessing that you should upgrade your injectors or your fuel pump if they are stock or try to tune the wastegate :)
Last edited by Inline6 on 20 Aug 2008, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nismo
UB Senior Member

Post by Nismo » 20 Aug 2008, 6:15 pm

eaxctly stone that is what i told the owner ..
but my cncern is not the hp or the car my concern is to know if the turbo is fine or not ..
because i will be striping the car and selling the parts ...

masabgt
UB Special Member

Post by masabgt » 24 Aug 2008, 6:44 pm

stone-head made the point. And you have scened it right, otherwise why the owner would sell the car at throw away price? Try check engine internals, I hope it is in good condition, no smoke and these sought of things. Good luck.

By the way nismo, where exactly you are in London, I might come from Leicester to steal your cars, LOL :D

Alpha
Adminstrator
Vehicle:RNN14 + JZZ31 + CT9A

Post by Alpha » 25 Aug 2008, 1:16 pm

Tamu wrote:It`s either the turbo is to big and spools up late in the RPM rage which causes the turbo lag, or a crappy TUNE...infact maybe it didnt get a tune at all after the turbo upgrade!!
Tamu wrote:You could also be leaking boost somwere so make sure you check all the intercooler pipes if they have been fastened on properly and have been clamped down...
stone-head wrote:man , T51 is way beyond the capabilities of a stock 1JZ plus
if no tune is involved then it's a big no no ,
Your computer does not know what the engine is running. Upgrade computer and tune it. Make sure there are no leaks along the intercooler and exhaust manifold lines, change your intercooler and get bigger pistons before you fry them up even if you manage to get the turbo working.