Headers on Lumina SS

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
3mro
UB Senior Member

Post by 3mro » 26 Jan 2009, 8:07 pm

Hi there all,

I just had a quiz question...
my friend owns a 2005 Lumina SS and is thinking of installing just the headers in his car. What we are wondering is how, by just installing the headers, would the performance be effected of the car and would it do any kind of harm to the engine ?? Would it just become loud ??

Since we are planning on just installing the headers and not the catback ...

Thanx all !!

#MR
UB Junior Member

Post by #MR » 26 Jan 2009, 9:13 pm

if you install only headers then it should not be louder. if you install good quality header then it would affect the performance because there will be more easily for the engine to move the exhaust gases. max performance you will get with full catback + headers

Abood
UB Junior Member

Post by Abood » 30 Jan 2009, 8:50 am

Just one reply .. thats it?
People don't know about v8 engines here or what? :s

^Thanks anyway #MR
I understand installing a complete exhaust system will help in easy flow of air pressure from the engine, but what if i go for front headers only, would it have a negative impact on the engine in anyway?

Thanks.

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 30 Jan 2009, 8:28 pm

Headers and no catback are good. I was running long time with CAI + headers, and stock exhaust and it was good. It doesn't sound illegal, and it gives you the oomph.

RasHooD
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo

Post by RasHooD » 31 Jan 2009, 1:51 am

^no harm whatsoever...

GT ST@RLET
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:lexus ls400

Post by GT ST@RLET » 31 Jan 2009, 9:25 am

Abood wrote:Just one reply .. thats it?
I understand installing a complete exhaust system will help in easy flow of air pressure from the engine, but what if i go for front headers only, would it have a negative impact on the engine in anyway?

Thanks.

x2

no harm
but it will be little restrictions

zeez06
UB Addicted Member
Vehicle:2008 C6 Z06

Post by zeez06 » 31 Jan 2009, 9:35 am

If you’re looking for performance upgrades for the SS you won’t see much or so from just headers maybe 15whp max. If you go with cams it’s a totally different story you can expect anywhere from 50-100whp depending on which stage of cam you select. (Y)

Gtr-35
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:2006 300c srt8

Post by Gtr-35 » 10 Mar 2009, 7:32 pm

+1 on tat , go for long tube headers with high flow cats, not shorties headers, u can see around 10- 15 whp max , not loud , but yeh sounds really nice, would be Very usefull if you are FI
or atleast did your heads and cams.

ultrablue662
UB Dedicated Member

Post by ultrablue662 » 11 Mar 2009, 1:42 am

I say go one step farther. Long tube headers with NO cats. I run the Kooks LTs with no cats on my charger. It is a good nice smooth airflow.

My question to you is WHY would you even consider headers if you arent thinking about the whole exhaust system, catback and intake included?

The whole idea of aftermarket headers, especially on large V8s, is to lesson the restrictiveness of your airflow. Saying you want to slap on headers without other mods is like saying I want a cheeseburger... without the cheese.

In the end it all depends on how fast you want to go. But personally, my suggestion to anyone even thiking of moding a muscle car is, get a CAI, a larger TB, LT headers, hiflow cats (or no cats) a good catback, and a nice tune for it all. The TB and CAI will increase the CFMs of air going into your motor, the rest will get it out sooner. Injectors wouldnt need to be upgraded for this, but a tune is very important.

Thats 50 nice hp right there that wont break the bank and wont affect the longevity of the car too much.

Also, one member suggested a cam. If you are going to get an aftermarket cam, you might as well get performance heads.

Good luck!