CRX - B18C Swap--Can it really be registered in Dubai????

ECUs, intakes, turbos, fluids, transmissions, exhausts etc.
DLock
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:2009 Peugeot 207+2008 Nissan Altima

Post by DLock » 14 Jul 2009, 4:00 pm

Ok...After driving an EK (B16A) and then selling it , I've realised that i have somewhat have an addiction to the high reving B Series Honda engines, even though the thought of turbos and torque-powered muscle may seem excellent. (Y)

I know one member who has already started his own CRX B18C swap and i would like to follow in his footsteps soon.....but i have already read time and time again through the procedure and swap on various sites and personal experiences of people doing the swap.... and there always seems to be once concern that comes to my mind and that is the "Alternator clearance issue"....
It seems that there always has to be some modification to the driver's side chasis (either by denting ir welding) for the alternator to fit...Hence the question arises ...can it really be passed later through the RTA? Keep in mind that i dont have any influence with the RTA so no Wasta.....

Guys do u have any idea on this or know anyone who has gotten around this problem when doing a swap??

Thanx
Danny

Khan
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:1989 CRX Si

Post by Khan » 14 Jul 2009, 5:09 pm

hey danny,

nice to hear that u too going to do so.
as far my experience and knowledge even if you install a K20A u dont need to cut and weld the chassis.
B18C u will have to move ur radiator just a few mms/cms ahead and if u r going for B18C u need then a performance oriented radiator like mishimoto to keep things cool.
anyways the only thing is the bracket of the mount u need to replace from the driver side so that B18C is just like bolt on then.
regarding passing i what i have checked it aint a problem if its a proper job. i mean neat n clean.
the only thing u need to replace if u install a k20 is the crossmember in B18C i dont think u need to replace that cross member also.

anyways looking forward to ur projeKt soon.

well the power to weight ratio would be really amazing. thats what i chose if u remember our discussion.....right???

well for me its a bit slow these days but hopefully the work is already on.....and will hit the streets in around oktober.

DLock
UB Dedicated Member

Post by DLock » 14 Jul 2009, 6:01 pm

Hmmmm....interesting..im looking at a B18C swap too.....i'll try and post the link to where i read up on the CRX swaps...i'll go through all my saved web pages...i remember seeing one person posting the swap pics too....yes the cross member is not necessary but recommended for a cleaner swap...i think hasport offers custom ones ...which brings me to my next point(s)
- mounts (available through Hasport)
- Cable to Hydro Tranny Conversion Kit(which i am sure you need!!) Again Hasport has these designed for such swaps. (Including the clutch master cylinder adaptor)
- Axles espescially if ur gonna drop a high reving engine like a B18C
...............And the list goes on

Dude the swap is very complex compared to most others....thats the word by people who have gone through it\

Will keep u posted

Thnx Khan and wish u all the best

Keep us posted from ur side

i'll keep u posted

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 14 Jul 2009, 8:39 pm

The swap shouldn't be as complicated as your making it sound. IMO, if your buying the engine from a well known garage they SHOULD/WILL provide you with all the necessary parts to make things fit...
For example I have a SiR disk setup on my EK right now, but after my JDM B18C-R swap I will need to modify the axle's because the type-r ones wont fit. My garage will modify my current axles to make it work with my new setup...

I would be more concerned with the wiring then the hardware..You will need a conversion harness and a chipped ECU to get things work right..

DLock
UB Dedicated Member

Post by DLock » 14 Jul 2009, 11:22 pm

Tamu wrote:The swap shouldn't be as complicated as your making it sound. IMO, if your buying the engine from a well known garage they SHOULD/WILL provide you with all the necessary parts to make things fit...
For example I have a SiR disk setup on my EK right now, but after my JDM B18C-R swap I will need to modify the axle's because the type-r ones wont fit. My garage will modify my current axles to make it work with my new setup...

I would be more concerned with the wiring then the hardware..You will need a conversion harness and a chipped ECU to get things work right..

Agreed TAMU....but do you think that even if the work is done properly...can tit by-pass RTA rules and regulations? :? ...Rules arent that strict as they are in Canada dude!!
Yes your right on the ECU and wiring harness too....Again i think hasport has a conversion harness for that...but you need to order....as for the ECU...LAP57 can handle that coz i got my ECU tuned on my old EK from them ...i think they send it to a guy in Sri Lanka...does a fantastic job and he is a good friend of a UB memebr i hear !!... :wink:
Im still reading and doing my research on the swap TAMU...coz i am very interested in going ahead too...i just want it to be street legal in the Dubai too... (Y)
Last edited by DLock on 15 Jul 2009, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

toleg
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:honda

Post by toleg » 15 Jul 2009, 12:10 am

ecu, wiring stuff are desame with eg/ek b-series swap, very straight foward

placing the mount and the shifter(not cable) need cut and welding.

front upper bumper support need some modification

centering the axle is bit tricky too ( oem type-r axle from b-series 16/18 are find )

if you dont have the rear disk eg/ek/dc stuff are not bolt on :D

rear brake cable is not desame too as well as rear sway bar and bracket

having good exhaust is bit tricky as well

with stock engine/internals need not ecu tuned.

with stuff cleanly installed you should not be worrying about passing.

good luck with the project, once all this project is done, we should meet-up for a trackday

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 15 Jul 2009, 6:12 am

^^ what he said :)

Khan
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Khan » 15 Jul 2009, 7:50 am

ya toleg is right.

the problem when u r swapping all the mounts / cable to hydro transmission conversion /etc...
all is well coz it seems to be common.

yes if u have the normal versions of the CRX like the GCC Specs and US Specs you will have a hard time to set and organize the braking system. i mean the chassis code EF

but thanx god I have a German Specs CRX - SI ... all disc brakes. (chassis code ED9)
for me I need a complete kit with the steel braided lines and would be less hassle just bolt on u can say.

Axles are a bit triky part but lets c what happens.

moreover my projeKt is a bit different coz it is meant to be built for track and street purpose so its a more money spending type of thing than just swap and drive onto street.

the only thing which could be making it drivable on street is to swap on the suspension everytime when the season is off.

DLock
UB Dedicated Member

Post by DLock » 23 Jul 2009, 9:55 pm

Khan wrote:ya toleg is right.

the problem when u r swapping all the mounts / cable to hydro transmission conversion /etc...
all is well coz it seems to be common.

yes if u have the normal versions of the CRX like the GCC Specs and US Specs you will have a hard time to set and organize the braking system. i mean the chassis code EF

but thanx god I have a German Specs CRX - SI ... all disc brakes. (chassis code ED9)
for me I need a complete kit with the steel braided lines and would be less hassle just bolt on u can say.

Axles are a bit triky part but lets c what happens.

moreover my projeKt is a bit different coz it is meant to be built for track and street purpose so its a more money spending type of thing than just swap and drive onto street.

the only thing which could be making it drivable on street is to swap on the suspension everytime when the season is off.

Found the follwoing pics and links,umightfind it useful:

http://www.rywire.com/droppedcrxsi/b18c-parts-list.htm
http://www.rywire.com/droppedcrxsi/b18c ... y-step.htm
Attachments
b18c-swap-done.jpg
A clean swap!!!

DLock
UB Dedicated Member

Post by DLock » 23 Jul 2009, 10:12 pm

Check these out too
Attachments
rear.jpg
Very Sleek, love the simple JDM look...the best car ever made!!!

DLock
UB Dedicated Member

Post by DLock » 23 Jul 2009, 10:15 pm

One for the K-Series lovers.....K20 swapped in the Rex :evil:
Attachments
kkrap1.jpg
K-Power

Khan
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Khan » 26 Jul 2009, 9:04 am

DLock wrote:One for the K-Series lovers.....K20 swapped in the Rex :evil:
K20A with a super charger....really good one.

and regarding Rywire(company) or Ryan(owner)....

he is a crx addict.
first he done the B16A swap on CRX
then B18C (GSR) swap
then LS-Vtec swap
and then K20A swap...
etc...
may be he is waiting for CRZ to be introduced so that he can swap that into the 89-91 CRX....
but nice info man. he gives a good info thru his swap as most his swaps are just not swaps but based on trial and error method. and i like his works.

anyways any news for urs??? Danny.

DLock
UB Dedicated Member

Post by DLock » 26 Jul 2009, 11:59 am

Basically ...i already found and bought a "shell" ....german specs ...same as urs....ZC blown....from ajman...chassis is fine.. brakes all rusted ...some body work needs to be done though.....i am currently looking around sharjah for a good motor ...the B18C GSr swap is wat im looking at!!!....I've seen a B16B but motor only no transmission...once i've shopped around for the parts...i'll probably approach LAP57 for the swap...

My swap is gonna be a slow one.....coz i want it perfect man!!!

Khan
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Khan » 26 Jul 2009, 1:04 pm

same as my story...

a slow build....but lets see..