De-Chroming/Warping

Body kits, paint jobs, stickers, lights, bumpers etc.

Moderator:Neo

rayneseven
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:2002 Nissan Patrol Safari

Post by rayneseven » 04 Aug 2011, 9:48 pm

Hi!

Planning to Foil/Warp/Vinyled, what ever that sticks to chrome trims. But all I'm looking for is a cheap brands, nothing to fancy. Got a tight budget for it. I've search here in UB but it all direct me to AJMAN Foiling. Can anyone provide directions? All I know there is the Car Souq in that area.

To be foiled:
Grill ( leaving the Badge chrome)
Door Trims
Side mirror Trims
Rear Badge Trims

Color Planned:
- Gloss/Matte Black
- Gloss/Matte Gunmetal
- Gloss/Matte Charcoal

The car has metallic white paint on it. Hoping for suggestion, and guide! Thanks! :happy:

RasHooD
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo

Post by RasHooD » 04 Aug 2011, 10:48 pm

Problem with cheap foiling is that it can take out paint along with the adhesive when removed.

Trust me I know of a 2009 GTR having to repaint all plastic panels over after his complete foil job was reverted to stock paint. All metallic panels were ok though.

rayneseven
UB Junior Member

Post by rayneseven » 04 Aug 2011, 10:59 pm

Hmm. You have a point there, I also heard those problems on cheap foil. Heard it was for truck advertisement. The only metallic on my car is the roof rack lining above. Any suggestion rashood?

RasHooD
UB Special Member

Post by RasHooD » 04 Aug 2011, 11:28 pm

I suggest you source proper foil even if u have it installed elsewhere.

RasHooD
UB Special Member

Post by RasHooD » 04 Aug 2011, 11:32 pm

Just read your original post again, if you are concentrating this ONLY on your chrome trims, cheap Ajman foil should be fine since they ain't painted. These shops are located just off the LULU Signal and the most famous (and expensive) one called Al Fun graphics is right behind LULU.

You would have adhesive residue to deal with when you remove though. A soft cloth damp with petrol does the trick. Try keeping away from painted surfaces.

rayneseven
UB Junior Member

Post by rayneseven » 05 Aug 2011, 12:01 am

Yes just Chrome trims, but based on your statement. Cheap foil eats plastic panels too right? The grills are plastic chrome as well are the door trims. Will it peel off too, if i removed the ajman foil for example after some time? Sorry if i asked to many question, I just don't trust shop advise on this. Sale talk is all over them, I trust personal experience.

RasHooD
UB Special Member

Post by RasHooD » 05 Aug 2011, 5:09 am

I meant it sometimes peels paint off. Chrome is layered electroplating or otherwise, but NOT paint so you should be ok. Good Luck.

rayneseven
UB Junior Member

Post by rayneseven » 05 Aug 2011, 11:38 am

Thanks again! :happy:

7afe
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Lexus SC 300 5 SPD

Post by 7afe » 06 Aug 2011, 4:58 am

why not get em painted? putting em on might not be a problem but while removing say some adhesive is still left over your paint , in the process of removing you could scratch your parts, thats what happened to me when i was taking off badges from toyota tundra and nissan titan both times i ended up scratching em , then i had to paint few spots on titan , but full tailgate paint on the tundra.
Another thing you might wanna take into consideration is the weather, since its hot as hell here your sticker could crack and break into pieces, then removing it will be a pain in the butt. It happened to me when my brother put a sticker on my corolla's trunk i removed it after 5-6 months and till date its not properly removed . Unless you are going for some good foil which give you guarantee that it will not remove your paint when you remove the stickers, dont go for it.
Cheers

kartoos100
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:08 IS300 + 05 Civic

Post by kartoos100 » 06 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

To get rid of the excess adhesive use Tint Off or Goo Gone! Both are available at Ace Hardware and is quite useful.

rayneseven
UB Junior Member

Post by rayneseven » 06 Aug 2011, 4:38 pm

7afe wrote:why not get em painted? putting em on might not be a problem but while removing say some adhesive is still left over your paint , in the process of removing you could scratch your parts, thats what happened to me when i was taking off badges from toyota tundra and nissan titan both times i ended up scratching em , then i had to paint few spots on titan , but full tailgate paint on the tundra.
Another thing you might wanna take into consideration is the weather, since its hot as hell here your sticker could crack and break into pieces, then removing it will be a pain in the butt. It happened to me when my brother put a sticker on my corolla's trunk i removed it after 5-6 months and till date its not properly removed . Unless you are going for some good foil which give you guarantee that it will not remove your paint when you remove the stickers, dont go for it.
Cheers
Got no plans on painting, just warping/foiling. I'm just want to cover the chrome parts of the car. Mostly trims, grills, probably rims? But 7afe, I think you're right. I got a bad feeling for Vinyl/stickers cause it might pop out, slip or crack due to low adhesive or heat. I have experience that on my tail lights, i placed some vinyl stickers and it popped. :/ Btw what paint did you use for the tundra's tail light? paint from Autoplus?
Last edited by rayneseven on 06 Aug 2011, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayneseven
UB Junior Member

Post by rayneseven » 06 Aug 2011, 4:42 pm

kartoos100 wrote:To get rid of the excess adhesive use Tint Off or Goo Gone! Both are available at Ace Hardware and is quite useful.
+1 on that, sometimes I use the remaining adhesive from the stickers. I just place it over the left adhesive and remove it again. I do this like 3 - 4 times and it all goes off.

rayneseven
UB Junior Member

Post by rayneseven » 06 Aug 2011, 4:45 pm

This is what I plan. Same concept, different car. Hunting for a shop that does proper foiling or has proper foil product. Not too expensive though, just average. :razz:

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 06 Aug 2011, 5:00 pm

You are better off painting if that's the look you want.

AccordTuner
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Lexus LS460

Post by AccordTuner » 06 Aug 2011, 5:47 pm

If your cars paint is orignal , then when u remove the sticker it doesnt affect the paint but if the part is painted again then if u sticker it and then remove the sticker it will damage it