De-Chroming/Warping

Body kits, paint jobs, stickers, lights, bumpers etc.

Moderator:Neo

RasHooD
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo

Post by RasHooD » 06 Aug 2011, 7:49 pm

As he said earlier, he wants to dechrome just the chrome parts and linings which are not painted, so there really is nothing to be damaged apart from scratches if done carelessly.

7afe
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Lexus SC 300 5 SPD

Post by 7afe » 08 Aug 2011, 6:12 pm

rayneseven wrote:
7afe wrote:why not get em painted? putting em on might not be a problem but while removing say some adhesive is still left over your paint , in the process of removing you could scratch your parts, thats what happened to me when i was taking off badges from toyota tundra and nissan titan both times i ended up scratching em , then i had to paint few spots on titan , but full tailgate paint on the tundra.
Another thing you might wanna take into consideration is the weather, since its hot as hell here your sticker could crack and break into pieces, then removing it will be a pain in the butt. It happened to me when my brother put a sticker on my corolla's trunk i removed it after 5-6 months and till date its not properly removed . Unless you are going for some good foil which give you guarantee that it will not remove your paint when you remove the stickers, dont go for it.
Cheers
Got no plans on painting, just warping/foiling. I'm just want to cover the chrome parts of the car. Mostly trims, grills, probably rims? But 7afe, I think you're right. I got a bad feeling for Vinyl/stickers cause it might pop out, slip or crack due to low adhesive or heat. I have experience that on my tail lights, i placed some vinyl stickers and it popped. :/ Btw what paint did you use for the tundra's tail light? paint from Autoplus?
I used sherwin williams paint for the tundra & Dupont paint for titan both turned out to be real good.Why dont you look for replacement accessories for all the chrome parts , you might find it in black or something & then do the foil on them.

AccordTuner
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Lexus LS460

Post by AccordTuner » 08 Aug 2011, 6:20 pm

A question
Wats the best option to blackout roof of a car , paint or sticker ?

7afe
UB Senior Member

Post by 7afe » 08 Aug 2011, 8:23 pm

First do sticker to see how it looks like, if you like it then paint it
or else remove sticker and roam rice free!

real_ashwin
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:Nissan Altima 2008 SE

Post by real_ashwin » 09 Aug 2011, 7:47 am

to the OP you can go to ace hardware and buy a product called plastidip. Get it in what ever color u want. And paint over the chrome bits. It will last forever and can be permanently removed if required.

soflow
UB Addicted Member

Post by soflow » 09 Aug 2011, 8:21 am

i have never been able to find black color plastidip at ace hardware fest center. they always have yellow/blue/red in stock lol. where did you get yours from? do you use a paint brush with the plastidip to paint the parts? does it stand upto the high pressure car washes?

real_ashwin
UB Senior Member

Post by real_ashwin » 09 Aug 2011, 8:28 am

i just went to ACE hardware @ DFC day before and found 1 can of black i suggest you run :)
Btw i was buying me some more of that awesome product GOOF OFF best debadging product ever in combination with fishing line.

In terms of plastidip some of the guys i know have used them on the alloys as well and some ppl have had them for over 1 year without any issues. Im not sure if they go to high pressure car washes but go ahead and try. The only usual problem applying them is over spray. Dont worry if you make mistakes it can be removed easily. If you really want to be perfect though id suggest a clear coat after application.

7afe
UB Senior Member

Post by 7afe » 09 Aug 2011, 9:36 am

clear coat after application hmm i doubt it can be removed then, plus if you dont sand before painting the paint wont sit you gotta go real light shoot which can take long time to cover the whole thing i dunoo how many coats thats gonna take and how thick its gonna make your paint layer & also you can have paint runout very easy. , it needs sand scratches to fit right in. if you remove parts and shoot them no worry with over spray then. I always recommend removing parts before shooting them.
I havent heard of thing product before, but from what i have painted so far and from what i know this doesn't sound like its gonna give good finish that you might be looking for. This thing sounds like those bugs that stick to your bumper at night and you use detail cleaner or "GOOF OFF" to remove them or pressure wash them, its gonna get off. thats what it sounds like to me.
Cheers!

RasHooD
UB Special Member

Post by RasHooD » 09 Aug 2011, 5:36 pm

PlastiDip FTW!

rayneseven
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:2002 Nissan Patrol Safari

Post by rayneseven » 10 Aug 2011, 2:45 am

I saw the work of ajman, after seeing the post for plastidip. Ajman works cuts the vinyl on the car itself. :/ Not good! I'm liking the plastidip! Is this available in Spray Can in Ace? or just Cans? I've search the item, it has spray cans on the main site. :smile:

real_ashwin
UB Senior Member

Post by real_ashwin » 10 Aug 2011, 6:57 am

rayneseven wrote:I saw the work of ajman, after seeing the post for plastidip. Ajman works cuts the vinyl on the car itself. :/ Not good! I'm liking the plastidip! Is this available in Spray Can in Ace? or just Cans? I've search the item, it has spray cans on the main site. :smile:
hmm good question i didn't open the can to check in ace. sorry.

RasHooD
UB Special Member

Post by RasHooD » 10 Aug 2011, 7:52 pm

How much was it for there? A single can costs like USD 6 in the states.

real_ashwin
UB Senior Member

Post by real_ashwin » 10 Aug 2011, 9:56 pm

again sorry i didnt check the price. If you guys want i can go down there tomorrow after work and check it out?

RasHooD
UB Special Member

Post by RasHooD » 11 Aug 2011, 4:16 am

Sure, please do.

Also check what tire puncture repair kits are available at what prices please. Thanks in advance.

real_ashwin
UB Senior Member

Post by real_ashwin » 11 Aug 2011, 8:01 pm

yeah ok firstly the damn plastidip they have is the non spray variety damn.
Ohh and rahood the tire puncture repair kits are quite cheap less than 100 the ones with 4 threads and 2 tweezers like stuff.